The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Radiation and melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Radiation and melanoma

Participant
      I am stage IV and am on Zelboraff. I recently have had two different nodes removed from my right thigh. My dr. Is recommending that I get a consult with a radiation oncologist. My question is has anyone done radiation for their melanoma and what was it like? Thank you for any advice on this subject.
      Sincerely, Judy

I am stage IV and am on Zelboraff. I recently have had two different nodes removed from my right thigh. My dr. Is recommending that I get a consult with a radiation oncologist. My question is has anyone done radiation for their melanoma and what was it like? Thank you for any advice on this subject.
      Sincerely, Judy

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant
          Well it didn’t hurt and although I did end up with lasting lymphadema in my leg, I’d had a mess of lymph nodes removed so my leg wouldve never been the same anyway. I had a good response to it (no local recurrances) both times and had some diahrrea when they radiated my bowel but it cleared sometime after treatment. Have also done SRS to the brain more recently but don’t have those results., lots of others on here with more experience, but the weekends are usually pretty quiet.
          awillett1991
          Participant
            Well it didn’t hurt and although I did end up with lasting lymphadema in my leg, I’d had a mess of lymph nodes removed so my leg wouldve never been the same anyway. I had a good response to it (no local recurrances) both times and had some diahrrea when they radiated my bowel but it cleared sometime after treatment. Have also done SRS to the brain more recently but don’t have those results., lots of others on here with more experience, but the weekends are usually pretty quiet.
              Judy D
              Participant
                Thank you and may you continue to get better.
                awillett1991
                Participant
                  Thanks. Should’ve mentioned both of these were post-surgery, so the goal was to zap any locally residing micro mets. my Mel just moved in elsewhere anyway.
                  awillett1991
                  Participant
                    Thanks. Should’ve mentioned both of these were post-surgery, so the goal was to zap any locally residing micro mets. my Mel just moved in elsewhere anyway.
                    awillett1991
                    Participant
                      Judy D
                      Participant
                        Judy D
                        Participant
                          Judy D
                          Participant
                            Judy D
                            Participant
                              Judy D
                              Participant
                              awillett1991
                              Participant
                                JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

Melanoma is one of the most radiation resistant cancers known.  Radiation seldom cures melanoma, but is often used to reduce ones tumor load so that surgery can be performed.  It can also be used in an attempt to mop up stray malignant cells that might have been missed in surgery.  I consulted two Radiologist and they wanted to do extensive radiation to a much wider area than I felt comfortable with.  I have heard of many bad problems caused by excessive radiation to ones abdominal area without a specific known tumor.  I refused.  Would have been more open to it, if it had been a limb for the mop up attempt.

You can do a search for radiation on this BB and find many posts.  Good luck.

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Melanoma is one of the most radiation resistant cancers known.  Radiation seldom cures melanoma, but is often used to reduce ones tumor load so that surgery can be performed.  It can also be used in an attempt to mop up stray malignant cells that might have been missed in surgery.  I consulted two Radiologist and they wanted to do extensive radiation to a much wider area than I felt comfortable with.  I have heard of many bad problems caused by excessive radiation to ones abdominal area without a specific known tumor.  I refused.  Would have been more open to it, if it had been a limb for the mop up attempt.

Judy D
                                      Participant
                                        Thank you for this information. Trying to gather all so that I can be well informed on the decisions I need to make
                                        Judy D
                                        Participant
                                          Thank you for this information. Trying to gather all so that I can be well informed on the decisions I need to make
                                          Judy D
                                          Participant
                                          JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

Jim M.
                                            Participant

I had a lymph node removal to the right axila. My onc. recommended radiation as, according to him,  it reduces the chance of a local recurrence from 60 to 10%. I was able to take my supplements during the radiation. I also applied Miaderm radiation cream after each treatment (you cannot apply it before a treatment). My radiation doc. was amazed that I didn't blister after 30 treatments and receiving a high dose. I only got red and the last couple treatments were painful because you feel the cumulative effect. I had some fatigue as well but continued to work. There is a 20% chance of getting lymphedema with surgery alone. It jumps to 40% chance if you get radiation also. I have mild lymphedema in my right arm and control it with manual massage and Juzo compression stockings. Maybe if I wouldn't have had a right vein stuck on 2 different occasions after having radiation maybe I wouldn't have developed Lymphedema.

God Bless and best of success.

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                              Participant

I had a lymph node removal to the right axila. My onc. recommended radiation as, according to him,  it reduces the chance of a local recurrence from 60 to 10%. I was able to take my supplements during the radiation. I also applied Miaderm radiation cream after each treatment (you cannot apply it before a treatment). My radiation doc. was amazed that I didn't blister after 30 treatments and receiving a high dose. I only got red and the last couple treatments were painful because you feel the cumulative effect. I had some fatigue as well but continued to work. There is a 20% chance of getting lymphedema with surgery alone. It jumps to 40% chance if you get radiation also. I have mild lymphedema in my right arm and control it with manual massage and Juzo compression stockings. Maybe if I wouldn't have had a right vein stuck on 2 different occasions after having radiation maybe I wouldn't have developed Lymphedema.

Jim M.

Judy D
                                                  Participant
                                                    Thank you I appreciate the information and recommendation of the cream. Best to you and beating this beast
                                                    Judy D
                                                    Participant
                                                      Thank you I appreciate the information and recommendation of the cream. Best to you and beating this beast
                                                      Judy D
                                                      Participant
                                                        Judy D
                                                        Participant
                                                          Judy D
                                                          Participant
                                                            Judy D
                                                            Participant
                                                            Jim M.
                                                            Participant

Jim M.

Tamils
                                                              Participant

My father had radiation to the skull after his stage iv met was removed.  The radiation oncologist said it would reduce the chance of recurrence in that particular area from 1 in 3 to 1 in 6.  He just finished a two-week course; side effects were just a little fatigue and mild irritation to the skin where the radiation was focused, like a light sunburn.  Best of luck to you!

Tamils
                                                                Participant

My father had radiation to the skull after his stage iv met was removed.  The radiation oncologist said it would reduce the chance of recurrence in that particular area from 1 in 3 to 1 in 6.  He just finished a two-week course; side effects were just a little fatigue and mild irritation to the skin where the radiation was focused, like a light sunburn.  Best of luck to you!

Tamils
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics