The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Rad treatment after surgery question

Forums General Melanoma Community Rad treatment after surgery question

Participant

I had 3 tumors removed under my arm. Now they want to do radiation. Problem is i have had radiation before for breast cancer. Now they question is how serious will it be if thr radiation treatments overlap just a little. I was told it could cause lymphodema and tissue death,, Like a Chance of getting it.. The problem is they give me 2 options. A 5 day high dose radiation or a 20 dose low ratidiation.

I had 3 tumors removed under my arm. Now they want to do radiation. Problem is i have had radiation before for breast cancer. Now they question is how serious will it be if thr radiation treatments overlap just a little. I was told it could cause lymphodema and tissue death,, Like a Chance of getting it.. The problem is they give me 2 options. A 5 day high dose radiation or a 20 dose low ratidiation. The 5 day treatment increases my chance of lymphodema and tissue death by 15% and the 20 treatments a 10% chance, now thats added to the 20% chance that i already have of getting lymphodema after surgery.. I have not had any lymphodema after surgery. So bacially i want to know do you think it will be ok to do the 5 day treatment and just take the chance of lymphodema and tissue death.. i have been so lucky so far with no problems. I just need a second opinion on here. I live 3 hours away from treatment. So the 5 day just makes more since to me. just need some answers about the treatment, and opinions as well… thanks in advance for answering…prayers to all on here who are going thru the same thing and even worse things, its a horrible disease.

Carolb

Stage 4

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        triciad
        Participant

Carol,

I have no knowledge about these issues, but I wanted to wish you luck with whatever decision you make.  It's good to hear from you again.  As always, you are in my prayers!

Tricia

triciad
          Participant

Carol,

I have no knowledge about these issues, but I wanted to wish you luck with whatever decision you make.  It's good to hear from you again.  As always, you are in my prayers!

Tricia

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

Carol, there is another option that could be discussed with your oncologist. I wonder if having no radiation treatment on the area at the moment is something that could be considered?

If this option was taken, then one would have to be very vigilant. However, as melanoma is so unpredictable in what it does there is a chance it won't return in the same place. One never knows if the IL-2 that you have had will keep things under control now.

May God bless you.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Carol, there is another option that could be discussed with your oncologist. I wonder if having no radiation treatment on the area at the moment is something that could be considered?

If this option was taken, then one would have to be very vigilant. However, as melanoma is so unpredictable in what it does there is a chance it won't return in the same place. One never knows if the IL-2 that you have had will keep things under control now.

May God bless you.

Frank from Australia

Jim M.
                Participant

Hi Carol,

There is not much of a difference of the possibility of getting lymphedema with either option. I would go with the one that makes the most sense to you. With the 20 treatments you will get some tissue death also.

God Bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                  Participant

Hi Carol,

There is not much of a difference of the possibility of getting lymphedema with either option. I would go with the one that makes the most sense to you. With the 20 treatments you will get some tissue death also.

God Bless,

Jim M.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics