The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Questions on radiation

Forums General Melanoma Community Questions on radiation

Participant

Hi again,

Dad's oncologist mentioned during his last visit that radiation may help with stopping the growth of the tumor and bleeding.  But it can only be done at only a few spots since his tumors are so numerous on his leg.  Has anyone used radiation and what does it involve? Is it painful, what is recovery like, does it help control the tumor and for how long? Should we save this as a last resort for tumors that are out of control?

Thanks again.

Chau

Hi again,

Dad's oncologist mentioned during his last visit that radiation may help with stopping the growth of the tumor and bleeding.  But it can only be done at only a few spots since his tumors are so numerous on his leg.  Has anyone used radiation and what does it involve? Is it painful, what is recovery like, does it help control the tumor and for how long? Should we save this as a last resort for tumors that are out of control?

Thanks again.

Chau

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        LynnLuc
        Participant

They will make their maps as to where they will aim, the radiation itself is basically painless ( except a few weeks afterwards I had a sunburn looking softball spot on my back. It killed alot of the melanoma tumor. I was radiated by my heart.

LynnLuc
          Participant

They will make their maps as to where they will aim, the radiation itself is basically painless ( except a few weeks afterwards I had a sunburn looking softball spot on my back. It killed alot of the melanoma tumor. I was radiated by my heart.

LynnLuc
              Participant

PS   if you wait too long they will probably say he has too many and will not radiate at all…

cwu
                Participant

Hi Lynn,

Dad's oncologist told us about radiation but didnt seem too excited about it. He mentioned that one of the side effects was bone problems which he didnt go into details about. From what you say about not waiting in case there are too many tumors, I didnt realize that and I think we probably need to speak with a radiation  oncologist to get more information about side effects and timing.  Thanks Lynn for your advice.

Chau

cwu
                  Participant

Hi Lynn,

Dad's oncologist told us about radiation but didnt seem too excited about it. He mentioned that one of the side effects was bone problems which he didnt go into details about. From what you say about not waiting in case there are too many tumors, I didnt realize that and I think we probably need to speak with a radiation  oncologist to get more information about side effects and timing.  Thanks Lynn for your advice.

Chau

cwu
                    Participant

Hi Lynn,

Chau

LynnLuc
                      Participant

PS   if you wait too long they will probably say he has too many and will not radiate at all…

LynnLuc
                        Participant

LynnLuc
                        Participant

Ali
                          Participant

I had radiation to two spots in my bones about 3 weeks ago.   No pain involved, and no sunburn because they were radiating so far from the skin.  As for how long it will keep those tumors away, I kind of assumed it might get those tumors all together, at least for a while (6 months?), but of course, they are not the only tumors.  Basically, they use radiation for palivtive treatment, not for a cure.   But yes, it will stop the growth for a while, but only of the tumors that are being radiated.  Good luck!

Ali

Ali
                            Participant

I had radiation to two spots in my bones about 3 weeks ago.   No pain involved, and no sunburn because they were radiating so far from the skin.  As for how long it will keep those tumors away, I kind of assumed it might get those tumors all together, at least for a while (6 months?), but of course, they are not the only tumors.  Basically, they use radiation for palivtive treatment, not for a cure.   But yes, it will stop the growth for a while, but only of the tumors that are being radiated.  Good luck!

Ali

Ali
                              Participant

Ali

cwu
                                  Participant

Hi Ali,

My dad's onco mentioned that radiation may cause bone problems but he didnt go into much details about it.  It doesnt sound like you had any side effects from the radiation? We may not do radiation if it very harsh. My dad is no longer pursuing treatment so we are just looking at palliative care to control the bleeding and make him more comfortable. He is doing ok for now, he can still move around and not in pain.  I think we need to speak with a radiation oncologist but I think his tumors are really deep so I dont know if they will even use radiation, it was mentioned to us by his skin oncologist.

Thanks Ali.

Chau

cwu
                                    Participant

Hi Ali,

My dad's onco mentioned that radiation may cause bone problems but he didnt go into much details about it.  It doesnt sound like you had any side effects from the radiation? We may not do radiation if it very harsh. My dad is no longer pursuing treatment so we are just looking at palliative care to control the bleeding and make him more comfortable. He is doing ok for now, he can still move around and not in pain.  I think we need to speak with a radiation oncologist but I think his tumors are really deep so I dont know if they will even use radiation, it was mentioned to us by his skin oncologist.

Thanks Ali.

Chau

cwu
                                      Participant

Hi Ali,

Thanks Ali.

Chau

triciad
                                      Participant

Hi Chau,

I am so sorry that you are going through this.  I had radiation to my buttocks back in September.  I had it 5 days a week for 6 weeks…30 treatments in all.  I had no issues.  I teach first grade, and I went to radiation before school every day.  No pain, no noticable energy loss, no burn, etc.  I was on the table for probably 30 seconds a visit.

I do know people who had burns and severe energy loss from radiation.  I really think it all depends on where you are being radiated.  Mine was closer to the outer skin, so maybe the less depth, less trauma. 

Best of luck with your decision and thanks for taking such good care of your dad!!!!

Tricia

triciad
                                        Participant

Hi Chau,

I am so sorry that you are going through this.  I had radiation to my buttocks back in September.  I had it 5 days a week for 6 weeks…30 treatments in all.  I had no issues.  I teach first grade, and I went to radiation before school every day.  No pain, no noticable energy loss, no burn, etc.  I was on the table for probably 30 seconds a visit.

I do know people who had burns and severe energy loss from radiation.  I really think it all depends on where you are being radiated.  Mine was closer to the outer skin, so maybe the less depth, less trauma. 

Best of luck with your decision and thanks for taking such good care of your dad!!!!

Tricia

NYKaren
                                            Participant

Hi Chau.  Just about a year ago, when my mel recurred, I had radiation for 1 month, hi dose. 

the side of my face, from scalp to neck was radiated, with the greatest concentration between my eye and ear, where the recurrence was.  I experienced considerable fatigue, hair loss, of which a portion around the perimiter has grown back.  I didn't realize at the time, but I have permanent loss of salivary gland production.  In addition, my mouth will only open so wide, and no more!  I thought I was crazy, but I have since found out that this is a side-effect of radiation to the face/neck areas.  I can eat, but not a thick sandwich or a whole hard-boiled egg. 

The radiation held off the spread for a couple of months.   The radiologist wants to do it again–I said thanks but no thanks! 

NYKaren
                                              Participant

Hi Chau.  Just about a year ago, when my mel recurred, I had radiation for 1 month, hi dose. 

the side of my face, from scalp to neck was radiated, with the greatest concentration between my eye and ear, where the recurrence was.  I experienced considerable fatigue, hair loss, of which a portion around the perimiter has grown back.  I didn't realize at the time, but I have permanent loss of salivary gland production.  In addition, my mouth will only open so wide, and no more!  I thought I was crazy, but I have since found out that this is a side-effect of radiation to the face/neck areas.  I can eat, but not a thick sandwich or a whole hard-boiled egg. 

The radiation held off the spread for a couple of months.   The radiologist wants to do it again–I said thanks but no thanks! 

cwu
                                                Participant

Hi Karen,

I am sorry you had such bad side effects from the radiation. I wonder whether the side effects depend on the location of the tumor. Dad's tumors are on his lower leg. Did you consult with the radiologist before you had it done? Dad's onco mentioned it but he didnt go into much details about how it works, what side effects,etc so I am wondering if we need to have a separate consult with a radiologist or radiology oncologist to find out more about this. karen, I think I read that you are doing IPI reinduction? I hope that is going ok and it will work again for you.

Thank you,

Chau

cwu
                                                  Participant

Hi Karen,

I am sorry you had such bad side effects from the radiation. I wonder whether the side effects depend on the location of the tumor. Dad's tumors are on his lower leg. Did you consult with the radiologist before you had it done? Dad's onco mentioned it but he didnt go into much details about how it works, what side effects,etc so I am wondering if we need to have a separate consult with a radiologist or radiology oncologist to find out more about this. karen, I think I read that you are doing IPI reinduction? I hope that is going ok and it will work again for you.

Thank you,

Chau

cwu
                                                    Participant

Hi Karen,

Thank you,

Chau

NYKaren
                                                      Participant

cwu
                                                        Participant

Hi Tricia,

Thanks for sharing your experience and I am glad that you didnt experience any bad side effects from the radiation. I just want to get more information about the radiation to see if that may be something we want to do in the near future.  I dont know for certain but my dad's tumors seem to be very deep so it may be more harsh of a treatment which we may not want to do. 

Chau

cwu
                                                          Participant

Hi Tricia,

Thanks for sharing your experience and I am glad that you didnt experience any bad side effects from the radiation. I just want to get more information about the radiation to see if that may be something we want to do in the near future.  I dont know for certain but my dad's tumors seem to be very deep so it may be more harsh of a treatment which we may not want to do. 

Chau

cwu
                                                            Participant

Hi Tricia,

Chau

triciad
                                                            Participant

Hi Chau,

Tricia

gabsound
                                                              Participant
                                                                Chau,

I’m sorry your dads melanoma is progressing. I had radiation to the inside of my thigh extending from a few inches above the knee all the way up to the groin ( area of complete lymph node dissection).

Mine was done due to margin not clear following surgery for a recurrence. I had 20 treatment which each had 2 parts-one for the superficial tissue and second part for deep. I was told it could affect bone (? Weaken it). The most uncomfortable part for me was just lying in an awkward position for the time it took to do the treatment.

I’m 1 week out from finishing my treatment. The skin in the area is reddened and a bit sore near the groin where my undies rub against it.

I was told it could worsen my lymphedema but so far not noticeably different. All in all a piece of cake compared to Interferon and biochemo. I was used a rx cream called radioplex that I put on 3 times a day.

I hope your dad gets some relief.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Chau,

I’m sorry your dads melanoma is progressing. I had radiation to the inside of my thigh extending from a few inches above the knee all the way up to the groin ( area of complete lymph node dissection).

Mine was done due to margin not clear following surgery for a recurrence. I had 20 treatment which each had 2 parts-one for the superficial tissue and second part for deep. I was told it could affect bone (? Weaken it). The most uncomfortable part for me was just lying in an awkward position for the time it took to do the treatment.

I’m 1 week out from finishing my treatment. The skin in the area is reddened and a bit sore near the groin where my undies rub against it.

I was told it could worsen my lymphedema but so far not noticeably different. All in all a piece of cake compared to Interferon and biochemo. I was used a rx cream called radioplex that I put on 3 times a day.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Chau,

Julie in Las Vegas

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics