The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

questions about stereotactic brain radiation

Forums General Melanoma Community questions about stereotactic brain radiation

Participant

Hi all,

Hi all,

Just back from Moffitt last night. My husband has 2 brain mets, one is 2.6 mm the other 2.7 mm. We are kind of stunned, but I suppose we shouldn't be. He's on Vemurafenib. He was on XL888 with the Vemurafenib, however XL888 has been d/c'd due to brain mets. He's off study now. The tumors in abdomen and lungs etc are stable. Oncologist is proposing stereotactic radiation.  Is this the same thing as Gamma Knife? Oncologist said it would be a "one time targeted radiation of just the tumors, not the whole brain." If you or your family member has had this procedure how did you/they feel after the procedure? Any particular side effects on the day of or after treatment?

Thanks so much for your input.

Sarah

http://www.thelaundrythief.blogspot.com

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        jmmm
        Participant
          My husband had gamma knife…I know there’s a difference…on has a mask, one has a framE screwed into their head. I know there’s more difference, but i don’t know the difference. Mike’s was the frame…getting it put on was tough…even with the meds, but it was quick. It was a long day, but minus the pain from putting the frame on and a headache (1 percocet was all the pain meds he needed) he did fine. As soon as the frame came off, he felt like a million bucks. We stopped for a big meal of burger and fries on the way home. Not sure about normal recovery (he had a craniotomy 3 weeks before gamma knife). He had minimal pain..maybe a couple of tyleonol and was tired, but nothing major. He did lose his hair in the area of the tumor…it was near the surface of his brain. He was steroids and anti-seizure meds and was not allowed to drive for 3 months (I think the 3 months was because of the combination of craniotomy and gamma knife, but I’m fairly sure there is a driving restriction for a length of time after brain radiation). He also ended up with radiation induced necrossis about 8 months later (a possible side effect we were unaware of). It’s being controlled with steroids and anti-seizure meds.
          jmmm
          Participant
            My husband had gamma knife…I know there’s a difference…on has a mask, one has a framE screwed into their head. I know there’s more difference, but i don’t know the difference. Mike’s was the frame…getting it put on was tough…even with the meds, but it was quick. It was a long day, but minus the pain from putting the frame on and a headache (1 percocet was all the pain meds he needed) he did fine. As soon as the frame came off, he felt like a million bucks. We stopped for a big meal of burger and fries on the way home. Not sure about normal recovery (he had a craniotomy 3 weeks before gamma knife). He had minimal pain..maybe a couple of tyleonol and was tired, but nothing major. He did lose his hair in the area of the tumor…it was near the surface of his brain. He was steroids and anti-seizure meds and was not allowed to drive for 3 months (I think the 3 months was because of the combination of craniotomy and gamma knife, but I’m fairly sure there is a driving restriction for a length of time after brain radiation). He also ended up with radiation induced necrossis about 8 months later (a possible side effect we were unaware of). It’s being controlled with steroids and anti-seizure meds.
            jmmm
            Participant
              POW
              Participant

"Gamma Knife" is a trademark name for one manuracturer's machine used for stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS). "Cyber Knife" is another trademark name. My brother had SRS to the brain at Moffitt. It was a simple procedure (from the patient's perspective) and he had no side effects ofther than feeling fatigued for a day or two.

POW
                Participant

"Gamma Knife" is a trademark name for one manuracturer's machine used for stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS). "Cyber Knife" is another trademark name. My brother had SRS to the brain at Moffitt. It was a simple procedure (from the patient's perspective) and he had no side effects ofther than feeling fatigued for a day or two.

POW
                  Participant

gostan
                    Participant
                      I underwent SRS last Friday for a single brain met. the procedure went smoothly with no side effects other than feeling crappy from the Kepra and prednisone that i was put on prior to and after the radiation. I went in a week before the procedure to have a mask made and measurements taken. Best of luck!
                      gostan
                      Participant
                        I underwent SRS last Friday for a single brain met. the procedure went smoothly with no side effects other than feeling crappy from the Kepra and prednisone that i was put on prior to and after the radiation. I went in a week before the procedure to have a mask made and measurements taken. Best of luck!
                        gostan
                        Participant
                          gostan
                          Participant
                            gostan
                            Participant
                              gostan
                              Participant
                                SarahW
                                Participant

Thank you to everyone for your speedy replies. This gives us an idea of what to expect. Thanks again

SarahW

SarahW
                                  Participant

Thank you to everyone for your speedy replies. This gives us an idea of what to expect. Thanks again

SarahW

SarahW
                                    Participant

SarahW

POW
                                      Participant

By the way, when my brother got SRS at Moffitt they used the custom made plastic face mask, not the metal head frame. Just so you know what to expect.

POW
                                        Participant

By the way, when my brother got SRS at Moffitt they used the custom made plastic face mask, not the metal head frame. Just so you know what to expect.

POW
                                          Participant

gostan
                                            Participant
                                              The custom made mask is really not too uncomfortable….just a little bit too Hannibal Lecter looking.
                                              gostan
                                              Participant
                                                The custom made mask is really not too uncomfortable….just a little bit too Hannibal Lecter looking.
                                                gostan
                                                Participant
                                                  POW
                                                  Participant

Yeah. I suggested that my brother save his– it would make a GREAT Halloween mask!

POW
                                                    Participant

Yeah. I suggested that my brother save his– it would make a GREAT Halloween mask!

POW
                                                      Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics