The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Questions about recurrence in a WLE scar

Forums General Melanoma Community Questions about recurrence in a WLE scar

Participant

I have three questions about recurrences in a WLE scar (on the thigh in this case).

1) When they redo the WLE, do they look at the depth of the recurrence and restage if necessary or does your staging stay the way it was?

2) Do they automatically check your lymph nodes even if they aren't swollen?

3) How is healing from a second WLE different from healing from the original? I had a tough time healing from the original with an infection, ripped internal stitches, and just generally slow healing. I'd like to know what to expect with a second one.

Thank you for any information you can give me!

Erika

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        HeidiZ
        Participant

After my CLND in November of 2016 I went from 3A to stage 3C.   Feb 2016 I reoccured in my scar where the CLND was done. After the Doctor reopened the scar to clean out most of the cancer he told me I was now eligible for stage IV drugs but by March 2016 I advanced to stage IV anyway.  Doctor didn't check my lymph nodes after the surgery.

Heidi

QuietPoet
            Participant

Thank you, HeidiZ. I hope you are doing much better now. Do you remember the healing process being different from the first time you had the surgery?

HeidiZ
              Participant

The healing process was the same for me each of the three times they had to go back in my neck scar. The only thing that happened each time and I'm not sure what the correct terminology is but my scars got bigger and wider as they healed.  I'm doing pretty good thanks and my last treatment was last August, next scans end of next month.

Heidi

QuietPoet
                Participant

Thanks very much!

I hope your scans come back clean. 3 times is a lot!

Viewing 0 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics