The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Questions???

Forums General Melanoma Community Questions???

Participant

So I have questions about melanoma that I'm not to sure about . How does it spread and how does it get into lymph nodes? Is it a by blood thing?? 

Also so I read its a fast spreading cancer… Does that mean it can spread in a week a year ?? 

i currently have stage 0 so I wanna know what can happen

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Owl
        Participant

Dear Ashlee,
          with all my respect to this difficult time you are going through and my full understanding for your fear please stop panicing. Not because it does not help yourself (this is your problem and I hope you will come over feeling sorry for yourself), but because of people like Janet who posted yesterday about the devastating condition her husband Don is in. What would you feel in her situation when you read a post "my life is over" from someone with stage 0?
          Please enjoy life, get married, have a lot of children… and if it doesn't work please get professional help.
          Best wishes

Owl
          Participant

Dear Ashlee,
            with all my respect to this difficult time you are going through and my full understanding for your fear please stop panicing. Not because it does not help yourself (this is your problem and I hope you will come over feeling sorry for yourself), but because of people like Janet who posted yesterday about the devastating condition her husband Don is in. What would you feel in her situation when you read a post "my life is over" from someone with stage 0?
            Please enjoy life, get married, have a lot of children… and if it doesn't work please get professional help.
            Best wishes

Twistermom3
              Participant

Any diagnosis of melanoma is terrifying at first. Everyone needs time to adjust. Give her a break.

Twistermom3
                Participant

Any diagnosis of melanoma is terrifying at first. Everyone needs time to adjust. Give her a break.

JC
                  Participant

I agree.  Sometimes this forum isn't the best for newly diagnosed Stage 0 or I patients, perhaps a forum where the discussions are separated by stage is more appropriate for this person, such as at MIF.

JC
                    Participant

I agree.  Sometimes this forum isn't the best for newly diagnosed Stage 0 or I patients, perhaps a forum where the discussions are separated by stage is more appropriate for this person, such as at MIF.

JC
                      Participant

Twistermom3
                        Participant

Owl
                        Participant

Dear Ashlee,
                          Best wishes

Janner
                          Participant

Melanoma spreads via lymph vessels and/or blood vessels.  Neither type of vessel exists in the epidermis, the layer of skin where melanoma in situ (stage 0) exists.  That is the reason there is such a high survival rate for stage 0.  There is no way for the lesion to spread.  It doesn't matter if melanoma is a slow or fast spreading cancer – it can be both.  But in your case, there is no way for it to spread because there were no blood/lymph vessels in proximity to the lesion.

So, what can happen?  You have your WLE.  All this is doing is making sure than there are no rogue cells that escaped the biopsy.  Then, nothing.  That's it.  Setup periodic derm visits to watch your skin.  Live life.  Move on.  It's what most everyone with melanoma in situ (Stage 0) does.  Go off and live their lives.  They don't really post here much unless they are newly diagnosed because there are no treatments after surgery, and no reason to stick around because likely their melanoma is gone forever.

Twhite00000
                              Participant

and stay out of the sun.  Although my own  Primary melanoma appeared where the sun don't shine and was 8mm deep and stage IIIc before it was discovered and removed.  CHECK EVERYWHERE not just exposed skin.  stage 0 is the stage you WANT to find this not later…

Janner
                              Participant

Melanoma spreads via lymph vessels and/or blood vessels.  Neither type of vessel exists in the epidermis, the layer of skin where melanoma in situ (stage 0) exists.  That is the reason there is such a high survival rate for stage 0.  There is no way for the lesion to spread.  It doesn't matter if melanoma is a slow or fast spreading cancer – it can be both.  But in your case, there is no way for it to spread because there were no blood/lymph vessels in proximity to the lesion.

So, what can happen?  You have your WLE.  All this is doing is making sure than there are no rogue cells that escaped the biopsy.  Then, nothing.  That's it.  Setup periodic derm visits to watch your skin.  Live life.  Move on.  It's what most everyone with melanoma in situ (Stage 0) does.  Go off and live their lives.  They don't really post here much unless they are newly diagnosed because there are no treatments after surgery, and no reason to stick around because likely their melanoma is gone forever.

Janner
                                Participant

arthurjedi007
                                  Participant

Like Janner said. Make sure to keep your regular derm visits. That way they can spot anything new showing up and take care of it so you remain at stage 0. You might also want to be a little careful in the sun. They have special clothing with uv protection, sun block, hats, etc. But really all that is doing is helping keep another spot from showing up on your skin so they don't have to remove yet another spot.

But otherwise yeah with regular derm visits you can stay stage 0 forever. Maybe take pictures of yourself to doublecheck your skin if you don't want to put your full trust in your derm. Also some derm's can do full body photo's and they compare to your previous visits. Also if you are really concerned about trusting the first place you might want to make sure they got it all. If I understand right their report shows it did get everything but I think you can have it re-tested somewhere else if you don't want to put your full trust in the first place. I imagine if you did do that the report would come back the same but it sounds like it might give you more peace of mind.

So yeah if you have to be a stage then stage 0 is where you want to be.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                    Participant

Like Janner said. Make sure to keep your regular derm visits. That way they can spot anything new showing up and take care of it so you remain at stage 0. You might also want to be a little careful in the sun. They have special clothing with uv protection, sun block, hats, etc. But really all that is doing is helping keep another spot from showing up on your skin so they don't have to remove yet another spot.

But otherwise yeah with regular derm visits you can stay stage 0 forever. Maybe take pictures of yourself to doublecheck your skin if you don't want to put your full trust in your derm. Also some derm's can do full body photo's and they compare to your previous visits. Also if you are really concerned about trusting the first place you might want to make sure they got it all. If I understand right their report shows it did get everything but I think you can have it re-tested somewhere else if you don't want to put your full trust in the first place. I imagine if you did do that the report would come back the same but it sounds like it might give you more peace of mind.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                      Participant

Artie

Linny
                                        Participant

Hi Ashlee,

Take a deep breath, relax. You are Stage 0, so your melanoma was caught early. Can it return? Yes. But for  99-100% of Stage 0 patients it does not returm. Right, you have a 99-100% chance of never seeing it again. Most of us here wish we were in a situation like that.

Another piece of advice I'd like to offer is to please STOP reading about melanoma on the internet. There is a lot of scary and outdated information on the internet about it. I'm not telling you to never read up on it, but you're in such a dither right now, that it would be in your best interest to just put that off for a while.

Things like cancer cause a change in routine for us. Change is scary for some of us. For you, your new routine will be getting routine skin checks by a dermatologist, stop going to tanning beds (if that's something you were doing), wear sunscreen, and make the shade your best friend. Is there anything scary about those things? Of course not. You get over the shock of the diagnosis, pick up the pieces and move on.

Linny
                                          Participant

Hi Ashlee,

Take a deep breath, relax. You are Stage 0, so your melanoma was caught early. Can it return? Yes. But for  99-100% of Stage 0 patients it does not returm. Right, you have a 99-100% chance of never seeing it again. Most of us here wish we were in a situation like that.

Another piece of advice I'd like to offer is to please STOP reading about melanoma on the internet. There is a lot of scary and outdated information on the internet about it. I'm not telling you to never read up on it, but you're in such a dither right now, that it would be in your best interest to just put that off for a while.

Things like cancer cause a change in routine for us. Change is scary for some of us. For you, your new routine will be getting routine skin checks by a dermatologist, stop going to tanning beds (if that's something you were doing), wear sunscreen, and make the shade your best friend. Is there anything scary about those things? Of course not. You get over the shock of the diagnosis, pick up the pieces and move on.

Linny
                                            Participant

Hi Ashlee,

JustMeInCA
                                              Participant

I'm seriously wondering if "Ashlee" is trolling. She keeps posting the same type of thing and stressing that she's Stage 0, but she doesn't bother to reply to the responses she's gotten on earlier posts or take part in the conversations. She's getting the same message repeatedly that there's really nothing to panic over at Stage 0, but still comes back with a new twist on the same story. And the kind melanoma folks here with much bigger fish to fry keep responding. I'm just wondering if we're being had.

JustMeInCA
                                                Participant

I'm seriously wondering if "Ashlee" is trolling. She keeps posting the same type of thing and stressing that she's Stage 0, but she doesn't bother to reply to the responses she's gotten on earlier posts or take part in the conversations. She's getting the same message repeatedly that there's really nothing to panic over at Stage 0, but still comes back with a new twist on the same story. And the kind melanoma folks here with much bigger fish to fry keep responding. I'm just wondering if we're being had.

JustMeInCA
                                                  Participant

JC
                                                      Participant

what is "trolling?"

JC
                                                        Participant

what is "trolling?"

JC
                                                          Participant

what is "trolling?"

JC
                                                            Participant

What you are missing are the 99.+% of melanoma in situ patients who have not had spread.  You will never know why the one's with melanoma in situ have progessed.  Misread pathology, too small of margins, 2nd unknown primary, suppressed immune system…

JC
                                                              Participant

What you are missing are the 99.+% of melanoma in situ patients who have not had spread.  You will never know why the one's with melanoma in situ have progessed.  Misread pathology, too small of margins, 2nd unknown primary, suppressed immune system…

JC
                                                                Participant

Julie in SoCal
                                                                  Participant

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl//ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum,chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

"This sense of the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, but have been used more widely. Media attention in recent years has equated trolling with online harassment. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."

Julie in SoCal
                                                                    Participant

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl//ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum,chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

"This sense of the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, but have been used more widely. Media attention in recent years has equated trolling with online harassment. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."

Julie in SoCal
                                                                      Participant

JC
                                                                        Participant

I don't think she's doing that, I genuinely think she's distressed and looking for reassurances, not trying to start arguments

JC
                                                                          Participant

I don't think she's doing that, I genuinely think she's distressed and looking for reassurances, not trying to start arguments

JC
                                                                            Participant

ashlee12
                                                                            Participant

Ummm thanks I am real…. And I am truly discouraged….  I do have an anxiety disorder so yes I am nervous and in distress….. I can't help it that I " put new twists on it" I can't control my brain I'm sorry…. For those of you who were nice and truly have me advice to help thank you I very much appriciate it… For those of you who are jerks…. Please don't reply to me

ashlee12
                                                                              Participant

Ummm thanks I am real…. And I am truly discouraged….  I do have an anxiety disorder so yes I am nervous and in distress….. I can't help it that I " put new twists on it" I can't control my brain I'm sorry…. For those of you who were nice and truly have me advice to help thank you I very much appriciate it… For those of you who are jerks…. Please don't reply to me

ashlee12
                                                                                Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics