The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Questions

Forums General Melanoma Community Questions

Participant

Hi there everyone.  I have been following the board for a few months and have been impressed with the wealth of information and knowledge.  I have been afraid to post anything because I have "in situ" disease and don't feel like it's my place to ask questions when there are so many people here with real problems.  But I have mustered the courage to ask a few questions as everyone seems to be so open and willing to help.  So here goes.

Hi there everyone.  I have been following the board for a few months and have been impressed with the wealth of information and knowledge.  I have been afraid to post anything because I have "in situ" disease and don't feel like it's my place to ask questions when there are so many people here with real problems.  But I have mustered the courage to ask a few questions as everyone seems to be so open and willing to help.  So here goes.

As I stated above, I was diagnosed with Melanoma in situ (Mis) Sept. 2009.  The path from the shave biopsy showed the lesion extending to the lateral margin.  I was treated with a WLE and the path came back as "scar and fibrosis with no evidence of residual neoplasm."  I now see my Derm every 6 months for skin checks.  Should I be satisfied with skin checks or should I request a PET/CT scan "just to be sure?"  I have also heard talk of "mitotic rate" of which my path report didnt address.  It also didn't talk about Breslow depth either.  And I am asuming Clark level I since it was in situ.  Is there not mitotic rate or Breslow depth with in situ disease?  I am sorry if these are dumb questions.  I am just trying to get a grip on the whole thing (still 2 years later none-the-less) and I want to do everything I can to catch these early if I am prone to them.  I am 29 years old and plan to be dealing with this for a long, long time.  Thanks to everyone who can offer any answers/advice!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

There are no wrong questions!  I learned the hard way when I didn't ask enough questions during my mothers breast cancer.  Now I ask questions all of the time.

If a miotic rate is not mentioned then that means there isn't one.  That's good!  In-situ means that you are stage 0.  In a very rare case or two in-situ can metasticize but I think the chance is less than 1%.  We do have someone on the board that it happened to.

They do not scan less then stage 2.  Even then many institutions will not scan unless stage 3.  Radiation itself can be harmful and they look at benefit vs risk.  Most insurance companies would also not pay at stage 0.  

As time passes you will feel more comfortable.  Most on this board are at advanced stages or are newly diagnosed. We do have a few that are knowledgable and hang around to give others information.  Reading here can often cause anxiety for those with low stages.

Make sure to continue appointments with your dermatologist and look for changes in your own body.

Linda

bekahboo82
            Participant

Thank you so much for the insight!  I have learned that reading too much can have a tendency to make a person go crazy!  I guess I am being overly cautious with the whole PET/CT thing so I wanted everyone's "expert opinion"  Thanks again!!

bekahboo82
              Participant

Thank you so much for the insight!  I have learned that reading too much can have a tendency to make a person go crazy!  I guess I am being overly cautious with the whole PET/CT thing so I wanted everyone's "expert opinion"  Thanks again!!

lhaley
              Participant

There are no wrong questions!  I learned the hard way when I didn't ask enough questions during my mothers breast cancer.  Now I ask questions all of the time.

If a miotic rate is not mentioned then that means there isn't one.  That's good!  In-situ means that you are stage 0.  In a very rare case or two in-situ can metasticize but I think the chance is less than 1%.  We do have someone on the board that it happened to.

They do not scan less then stage 2.  Even then many institutions will not scan unless stage 3.  Radiation itself can be harmful and they look at benefit vs risk.  Most insurance companies would also not pay at stage 0.  

As time passes you will feel more comfortable.  Most on this board are at advanced stages or are newly diagnosed. We do have a few that are knowledgable and hang around to give others information.  Reading here can often cause anxiety for those with low stages.

Make sure to continue appointments with your dermatologist and look for changes in your own body.

Linda

MichaelFL
                Participant

Hi and congrats for being two years out, and catching this so early too!

In situ means "in place", so it has no Breslow depth, and yes, it is also Clarks Level 1. If a mitosis was not listed, it will be 0.

A PET/CAT does not show any microscopic disease, only macro, so that really does you no good either. Since insitu means "in place" it has not yet traveled through your three layers of skin.

BTW, insitu has virtually 100% 5 and 10 year survival (99.9%), so be happy.

Just keep doing what you are doing, derm visits, skin checks for "change", and enjoy life.

Michael 1B-almost three years out form diagnosis.

MichaelFL
                    Participant

Michael 1B-almost three years out from diagnosis.

I really need to do spell check before hitting post message. I type too fast.

MichaelFL
                      Participant

Michael 1B-almost three years out from diagnosis.

I really need to do spell check before hitting post message. I type too fast.

bekahboo82
                        Participant

Thank you Michael!  I guess the long and short of it is to be vigilent in sun protection (which I am) and do frequent skin checks (which I do).  I really appreciate the feedback!

bekahboo82
                          Participant

Thank you Michael!  I guess the long and short of it is to be vigilent in sun protection (which I am) and do frequent skin checks (which I do).  I really appreciate the feedback!

MichaelFL
                          Participant

Hi and congrats for being two years out, and catching this so early too!

In situ means "in place", so it has no Breslow depth, and yes, it is also Clarks Level 1. If a mitosis was not listed, it will be 0.

A PET/CAT does not show any microscopic disease, only macro, so that really does you no good either. Since insitu means "in place" it has not yet traveled through your three layers of skin.

BTW, insitu has virtually 100% 5 and 10 year survival (99.9%), so be happy.

Just keep doing what you are doing, derm visits, skin checks for "change", and enjoy life.

Michael 1B-almost three years out form diagnosis.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics