The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question regarding PET scan results

Forums General Melanoma Community Question regarding PET scan results

Participant

The results came back on my PET scan:

The results came back on my PET scan:

"There are extensive changes seen within the right groin and medial right thigh. Single area of increased hypermetabolic activity within the inferior portion of the right thigh incision where there is some thickening seen on the CT. The SUV is as high as 2.0. Suggest direct visualization and possible repeat biopsy and excision is suggested. There is low grade probable post surgcal activity within the right groin with no definite hypermetabolic lesions. The remainder of the PET findings demonstrate no evidence of distant metastatic disease."

My surgeon is the one that gave me the report and he said "that's why I don't do the PET scan this early". He thinks it's all related to the surgery and did not seem worried. I feel relieved, but know of course the scan will need to be repeated later to recheck that area. That part of my leg has been sore, but is less sore now than it was. Tomorrow makes 4 weeks from the date of my WLE and lymph node dissection.

I also saw on a consult report that my Physician friend had that dx is superficial spreading Clark's level IV. Breslows depth 2.35 mm with ulceration present. Regression absent. Lesion now T3bN1M0. Does this make me stage 3b? Assuming PET is really negative?

The PET scan was done 3 weeks post surgery. I still had one of my drains in. That came out yesterday 🙂  I'm wondering if anyone else had changes in region of surgery and did these resolve?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

In my experience they have always waited at least 6 – 8 weeks post surgery to do a PET/CT. Even then it often reads that there has been extensive change, most likely due to surgery.  At just 3 weeks the surgical area is still extremly inflamed, expecially if you still had in the drain.  I'm really surprised that it was ordered that soon.  Congratulations on the rest of the PET being clear!!!

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

In my experience they have always waited at least 6 – 8 weeks post surgery to do a PET/CT. Even then it often reads that there has been extensive change, most likely due to surgery.  At just 3 weeks the surgical area is still extremly inflamed, expecially if you still had in the drain.  I'm really surprised that it was ordered that soon.  Congratulations on the rest of the PET being clear!!!

Linda

LynnLuc
            Participant

a 2.0 SUV  post surgery isn't really high…it probably shows healing  still in the area…all cells good and bad uptake sugar…

LynnLuc
              Participant

a 2.0 SUV  post surgery isn't really high…it probably shows healing  still in the area…all cells good and bad uptake sugar…

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics