The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question on melanoma and pregnancy

Forums General Melanoma Community Question on melanoma and pregnancy

Participant

HI Everyone,

HI Everyone,

I wanted to post this in hopes of getting some advice and feedback as I'm a very concerened father with a pregnant wife of 12 weeks. In August of this year my wife had a malignant melanoma removed on her arm. After having that removed she went in for her PET scan a few months later and everything came back fine. Is there any effects that could harm my wife being pregnant after having the surgery and PET scan? We have a great oncologist but it all seems to weird to say everything is okay without there being any side effects that could affect her pregnancy after the surgery and PET scan. Any info would be appreciated….

Thanks,

ConcernedDad

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

The PET scan was in August and your wife became pregnant in Nov or Dec?  I'm certain they wouldn't give a PET scan to your wife WHILE she was pregnant.  The chemicals would definitely be an issue.  However, they have a short half life and go through the system fairly quickly.  As for the surgery, pregnant women have had surgery before and I can't see any reason having surgery several months before a pregnancy would have any impact on your wife.  I know you are concerned, but I think that neither the surgery or the scan would have any lasting impact on your wife and would affect a new fetus days, weeks or months after the fact.  If the surgery had been internal where scar tissue could be a problem, then maybe more concern.  But a lesion removed from the arm is not likely to play any role otherwise.

If you have any strong concerns, then discuss them with her oncologist or OB.  They would definitely be more familiar with all the issues in your wife's case.  But I've never seen any info about lingering effects from PET scans or surgery.  The bigger concern for me would be melanoma itself, not either of those two procedures.

Best wishes to you and your wife,

Janner

ConcernedDad
            Participant
              Hi Janner – thanks for the quick reply. I had to check records and my wifes PET scan was on Nov 12th and her conceived date was Nov 15th. We are going for a 2nd opinion as to me it really seems this is all too close together for no side effects to happen. Any thoughts with the revised dates I provided?

ConcernedDad
              Participant
                Hi Janner – thanks for the quick reply. I had to check records and my wifes PET scan was on Nov 12th and her conceived date was Nov 15th. We are going for a 2nd opinion as to me it really seems this is all too close together for no side effects to happen. Any thoughts with the revised dates I provided?

Janner
              Participant

The PET scan was in August and your wife became pregnant in Nov or Dec?  I'm certain they wouldn't give a PET scan to your wife WHILE she was pregnant.  The chemicals would definitely be an issue.  However, they have a short half life and go through the system fairly quickly.  As for the surgery, pregnant women have had surgery before and I can't see any reason having surgery several months before a pregnancy would have any impact on your wife.  I know you are concerned, but I think that neither the surgery or the scan would have any lasting impact on your wife and would affect a new fetus days, weeks or months after the fact.  If the surgery had been internal where scar tissue could be a problem, then maybe more concern.  But a lesion removed from the arm is not likely to play any role otherwise.

If you have any strong concerns, then discuss them with her oncologist or OB.  They would definitely be more familiar with all the issues in your wife's case.  But I've never seen any info about lingering effects from PET scans or surgery.  The bigger concern for me would be melanoma itself, not either of those two procedures.

Best wishes to you and your wife,

Janner

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics