The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question from a Newly Diagnosed?

Forums General Melanoma Community Question from a Newly Diagnosed?

Participant

Hi all! Just got the results back from a shave biopsy. They are .6, clarks II/III nodular melanoma. I got a copy of the pathology report and there is no description of the margins. None whatsoever. No lateral or vertical margins mentioned. I'm scheduled for a WLE tomorrow and I am not sure how I feel about doing this yet. How can I be confident in the .6mm without knowing that the margins are clear? I hear these shave biopsies can be innaccurate. Any advice? Thanks…

Hi all! Just got the results back from a shave biopsy. They are .6, clarks II/III nodular melanoma. I got a copy of the pathology report and there is no description of the margins. None whatsoever. No lateral or vertical margins mentioned. I'm scheduled for a WLE tomorrow and I am not sure how I feel about doing this yet. How can I be confident in the .6mm without knowing that the margins are clear? I hear these shave biopsies can be innaccurate. Any advice? Thanks…

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Shave biopsies are not inaccurate.  However, they can bisect a lesion so the true depth is not known.  That's why you need to know if the deep margin was clear or not.  I would definitely make a phone call asking about the margins – I'd want clarification. Call the doctor or the pathologist.  If the lesion were bisected (i.e. deep margin not clear), I'd be thinking about the possibility of getting a SNB which MUST BE DONE PRIOR to the WLE.  If the deep margin was not clear, you are left knowing your lesion is "at least .6mm deep" but nothing more.  In general, the cutoff for the SNB is typically 1mm so you are well under that if the deep margin is clear.    Before you agree to the WLE, get clarification on the margins.  A SNB done after the WLE is truly compromised.  As it stands now, you don't need the SNB if the depth is accurate.  But determining the accuracy of the depth is key here.  If you post your entire report, we can help you interpret all the important bits.

Best wishes,

Janner

clairemharvey
            Participant

Report:

Diagnosis: Melanoma, non ulcerated, Nodular Type, Clarks Level II/III, Breslow thickness 0.6mm (172.7)

Microscopic description

sections show a proliferation of atypical epithelioid melanocytes arrayed along the dermoepidermal junctions as single cells and regular/irregular sized/shaped nests with pagetoid migration evident. Nests of similar appearing cells are present in the subajacent dermis. There is chronic inflammation in the superficial dermis. No mitotic figures are apparent in the dermal component.

That's it. No discussion of margins. I have since read that it is not mandatory to include info on margins, but I have also read that residual cancer findings in the WLE can result in upstaging of the tumor. If my entire treatment protocol rests on this thickness, it would seem an important component of the path report! Seems a little lacking, in my humble, but frightened opinion.

Janner
              Participant

Interesting.  And the diagnosis said "nodular melanoma"?  I would say it is unusual to have nodular melanoma with 0 mitosis.  However, 0 mitosis is what you want to see.  In this situation, I think that if the margins had not been clear, they would have been noted.  Sometimes reports only include the things they see, and a transected margin would be something you see.  I would still ask for clarification when you see your doctor, but in general this appears to be a low risk lesion.  Sometimes a more detailed report might be sent to your doctor.  I'd ask for as much information as you can get.

If the margins are clear in the biopsy, it's also rare to find more melanoma in the WLE.  In general, it's hard to upstage someone after the biopsy is done based on the WLE alone because the biopsy tissue can't be "reconnected" with the WLE tissue.  You can't reconstruct a depth of a lesion that was transected.  You can only say the depth was "at least" what you see in the biopsy and that's about it.  Upstaging can be done with a positive SNB, but in general the biopsy depth is your initial staging depth.  With you, that appears to be stage IA.  No diagnosis is good, but stage IA has a great prognosis.

Good luck on the WLE. 

Janner

Janner
                Participant

Interesting.  And the diagnosis said "nodular melanoma"?  I would say it is unusual to have nodular melanoma with 0 mitosis.  However, 0 mitosis is what you want to see.  In this situation, I think that if the margins had not been clear, they would have been noted.  Sometimes reports only include the things they see, and a transected margin would be something you see.  I would still ask for clarification when you see your doctor, but in general this appears to be a low risk lesion.  Sometimes a more detailed report might be sent to your doctor.  I'd ask for as much information as you can get.

If the margins are clear in the biopsy, it's also rare to find more melanoma in the WLE.  In general, it's hard to upstage someone after the biopsy is done based on the WLE alone because the biopsy tissue can't be "reconnected" with the WLE tissue.  You can't reconstruct a depth of a lesion that was transected.  You can only say the depth was "at least" what you see in the biopsy and that's about it.  Upstaging can be done with a positive SNB, but in general the biopsy depth is your initial staging depth.  With you, that appears to be stage IA.  No diagnosis is good, but stage IA has a great prognosis.

Good luck on the WLE. 

Janner

clairemharvey
                  Participant

Report:

Diagnosis: Melanoma, non ulcerated, Nodular Type, Clarks Level II/III, Breslow thickness 0.6mm (172.7)

Microscopic description

sections show a proliferation of atypical epithelioid melanocytes arrayed along the dermoepidermal junctions as single cells and regular/irregular sized/shaped nests with pagetoid migration evident. Nests of similar appearing cells are present in the subajacent dermis. There is chronic inflammation in the superficial dermis. No mitotic figures are apparent in the dermal component.

That's it. No discussion of margins. I have since read that it is not mandatory to include info on margins, but I have also read that residual cancer findings in the WLE can result in upstaging of the tumor. If my entire treatment protocol rests on this thickness, it would seem an important component of the path report! Seems a little lacking, in my humble, but frightened opinion.

Janner
                  Participant

Shave biopsies are not inaccurate.  However, they can bisect a lesion so the true depth is not known.  That's why you need to know if the deep margin was clear or not.  I would definitely make a phone call asking about the margins – I'd want clarification. Call the doctor or the pathologist.  If the lesion were bisected (i.e. deep margin not clear), I'd be thinking about the possibility of getting a SNB which MUST BE DONE PRIOR to the WLE.  If the deep margin was not clear, you are left knowing your lesion is "at least .6mm deep" but nothing more.  In general, the cutoff for the SNB is typically 1mm so you are well under that if the deep margin is clear.    Before you agree to the WLE, get clarification on the margins.  A SNB done after the WLE is truly compromised.  As it stands now, you don't need the SNB if the depth is accurate.  But determining the accuracy of the depth is key here.  If you post your entire report, we can help you interpret all the important bits.

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics