The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question about Zelboraf?

Forums General Melanoma Community Question about Zelboraf?

Participant

When the Melanoma tumors create a resistance to Zelboraf, do they become more aggressive than they were before taking Zelboraf?  Do the tumors grow faster once the Zelboraf stops working?

Thank you for your input,

Travis

When the Melanoma tumors create a resistance to Zelboraf, do they become more aggressive than they were before taking Zelboraf?  Do the tumors grow faster once the Zelboraf stops working?

Thank you for your input,

Travis

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

Impossible to answer. Depends on so many things such as the persons genetics, healty etc.

MichaelFL
          Participant

Impossible to answer. Depends on so many things such as the persons genetics, healty etc.

MichaelFL
            Participant

deardad
              Participant

Hi Travis, I can only speak from my father's experience. Once the Zel stopped the tumors became very aggressive. Now is the time to try everything you can to get things under control. Unforutnately our oncologist in Melbourne believes that after Zel the tumors do become more aggressive. Have you been offered MEK? I'm not sure that it works very well without  BRAF but I'd ask? Stay strong Travis.

Nahmi 

deardad
                Participant

Hi Travis, I can only speak from my father's experience. Once the Zel stopped the tumors became very aggressive. Now is the time to try everything you can to get things under control. Unforutnately our oncologist in Melbourne believes that after Zel the tumors do become more aggressive. Have you been offered MEK? I'm not sure that it works very well without  BRAF but I'd ask? Stay strong Travis.

Nahmi 

deardad
                  Participant

Nahmi 

Theresa123
                    Participant

I was told by my Dr. at Angeles Clinic not to go on Zelboraf yet because it was a "end stage drug"- after it stopped working the melanomas would explode.  I don't know if this is true, but, it seems like it is the case with a lot of people.   Look into anti-PD 1.  I heard it is a better alternative.

rrrule32
                        Participant

Dammit, I wish our oncologist would have told us that.  Her tumor burden at the time was not very heavy.  Well, hopefully we can get on something quickly then.  Hopefully that something can work.  That's pretty discouraging about Zelboraf.

Travis

rrrule32
                          Participant

Dammit, I wish our oncologist would have told us that.  Her tumor burden at the time was not very heavy.  Well, hopefully we can get on something quickly then.  Hopefully that something can work.  That's pretty discouraging about Zelboraf.

Travis

rrrule32
                            Participant

Travis

Theresa123
                            Participant

I was told by my Dr. at Angeles Clinic not to go on Zelboraf yet because it was a "end stage drug"- after it stopped working the melanomas would explode.  I don't know if this is true, but, it seems like it is the case with a lot of people.   Look into anti-PD 1.  I heard it is a better alternative.

Theresa123
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics