The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question about shave biopsy

Forums General Melanoma Community Question about shave biopsy

Participant

About 2 weeks ago I had an shaved biopsy on a mole done on my neck. The derm had called and said we need you back in to redo the same spot. Due to what it had said  in the report its non cancerous but it's giving us some reading…  I go in tomorrow for re shaved. But this time more wider and deeper tissue is being biopsy on again…  

I am am confuse by the whole thing. Can someone explain it to me?   

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        DianaD
        Participant

Melissa, it sounds like they found dysplastic (abnormal) cells; even though they aren't cancer cells, they have the ability to change over time into cancer cells, so the doctors want to make sure that they've obtained clean margins and removed all of the abnormal cells. 

DianaD
          Participant

Melissa, it sounds like they found dysplastic (abnormal) cells; even though they aren't cancer cells, they have the ability to change over time into cancer cells, so the doctors want to make sure that they've obtained clean margins and removed all of the abnormal cells. 

Millykamp
              Participant

That sounds better then what they told me over the phone…  

DianaD
                Participant

When you go tomorrow, ask them to explain again what they are doing and why.  Keep asking questions until you are satisified that you understand. 

Good luck tomorrow–I'll be thinking about you. 

DianaD
                  Participant

When you go tomorrow, ask them to explain again what they are doing and why.  Keep asking questions until you are satisified that you understand. 

DianaD
                    Participant

Millykamp
                      Participant

I a, asking for a copy of the report to take with me when I go to U of M next week. Each day is getting me closer to surgery and I am getting more nervous… 

Millykamp
                        Participant

I a, asking for a copy of the report to take with me when I go to U of M next week. Each day is getting me closer to surgery and I am getting more nervous… 

DianaD
                          Participant

Yes, take copies of your reports with you to U of M.  Is someone going with you to U of M?  Will you be staying overnight there?  

I hope that you have things to do to help you relax and take your mind off of things.  

You want to be rested and calm when you have surgery next week. 

DianaD
                            Participant

Yes, take copies of your reports with you to U of M.  Is someone going with you to U of M?  Will you be staying overnight there?  

I hope that you have things to do to help you relax and take your mind off of things.  

DianaD
                              Participant

Millykamp
                                Participant

Millykamp
                                  Participant

Millykamp
                                    Participant

DianaD
                                    Participant

stars
                                      Participant

A shave is often not a full / complete excision, so if there's any atypical cells you generally need more skin taken off. It sounds like they just need a bigger safety margin of clear skin as perhaps the mole was atypical (but thankfully not another melanoma). Good luck, Melissa.

Stars

stars
                                        Participant

A shave is often not a full / complete excision, so if there's any atypical cells you generally need more skin taken off. It sounds like they just need a bigger safety margin of clear skin as perhaps the mole was atypical (but thankfully not another melanoma). Good luck, Melissa.

Stars

stars
                                          Participant

Stars

Svetla 11
                                            Participant

Hi Melissa,

I recently also had a shaved biopsy done but on my head. The mole that the dermatologist removed had been there for years but he said that it had uneaven coloring and edges which is why he wanted to have it tested. I haven't heard back yet but I am waiting on the results. 

It sounds like your doctor needs to make sure that it is non-cancerous which is why they are brining you in a second time. I would wait for the results and ask plenty of questions during the appointment to help ease any worry. 

Best of luck! 

Svetla 11
                                              Participant

Hi Melissa,

I recently also had a shaved biopsy done but on my head. The mole that the dermatologist removed had been there for years but he said that it had uneaven coloring and edges which is why he wanted to have it tested. I haven't heard back yet but I am waiting on the results. 

It sounds like your doctor needs to make sure that it is non-cancerous which is why they are brining you in a second time. I would wait for the results and ask plenty of questions during the appointment to help ease any worry. 

Best of luck! 

Millykamp
                                                  Participant

Beside a little bit of a pain on the side of my neck under my ear lobe,I am doing well the doc said it was an moderate mole and needed a clean shave. Now waiting on the report on that one.  Heading to U of M next week for all the rest of the testing before the surgery.  

Millykamp
                                                    Participant

Beside a little bit of a pain on the side of my neck under my ear lobe,I am doing well the doc said it was an moderate mole and needed a clean shave. Now waiting on the report on that one.  Heading to U of M next week for all the rest of the testing before the surgery.  

DianaD
                                                      Participant

Good luck at U of M next week, Melissa.  Sending you positive thoughts and good wishes. 

DianaD
                                                        Participant

Good luck at U of M next week, Melissa.  Sending you positive thoughts and good wishes. 

DianaD
                                                          Participant

stars
                                                            Participant

That's great news. There shouldn't be any surprises in the pathology there, it's either clear margins or its not and you might need yet a little bit more shaved off. In the scheme of htings, not serious. Glad it's all done and you've got some more info about why you needed more skin removed.

Stars

stars
                                                              Participant

That's great news. There shouldn't be any surprises in the pathology there, it's either clear margins or its not and you might need yet a little bit more shaved off. In the scheme of htings, not serious. Glad it's all done and you've got some more info about why you needed more skin removed.

Stars

stars
                                                                Participant

Stars

Millykamp
                                                                  Participant

Svetla 11
                                                                  Participant

Hi Melissa,

Best of luck! 

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics