The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question about my husband, Jim

Forums General Melanoma Community Question about my husband, Jim

Participant

Since his (July 2006) original Melanoma started as Nodular Melanoma on the lower right scalp, local recurrence 2 years later, then waited 1 year got it removed in August 2009.  And at time, we knew it had spread to the cervical lymph node on the right.  Since that time the cervical lymph node has got very large, and everything remained the same.  Then the beginning of September (2010), all of a sudden we have  a lumps in right chest area, one lump on the right side of back…..then all of a sudden, lumps on the LEFT SIDE (lower side area)  , one on LEFT  S

Since his (July 2006) original Melanoma started as Nodular Melanoma on the lower right scalp, local recurrence 2 years later, then waited 1 year got it removed in August 2009.  And at time, we knew it had spread to the cervical lymph node on the right.  Since that time the cervical lymph node has got very large, and everything remained the same.  Then the beginning of September (2010), all of a sudden we have  a lumps in right chest area, one lump on the right side of back…..then all of a sudden, lumps on the LEFT SIDE (lower side area)  , one on LEFT  SHOULDER, and 2 more on LEFT SIDE OF BACK.  NOW ANOTHER ONE, IN THE FRONT OF his ear , again (LEFT EAR )..Also another one on his neck (the LEFT SIDE).  He also has 2 lumps in his upper thigh area (small ones), can't remember which side.  Hard to keep up with them, because they were coming so fast  .  Are all these lymph node or tumors, or somse of both.  MY question is did this spread through the cervical lymph node on the right side, or from the blood stream.  Since we have had no WLE, no SNB, no anything, is it likely that the Melanoma is already involved in the organs, possibly.?  I am trying to prepare myself for what is to come.   I am just trying to understand how it spreads.  I thought it mostly stayed on the same side.\This has been really scary since all this has happened within a 3 week span….Now, things appear to have settled down.

Thank you for your responses.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        KatyWI
        Participant

Hi Sherron,

From your description, it sounds to me like these new bumps are subcutaneous tumors, and the most likely way it spread was through the blood stream (e.g, stage IV disease).  I don't think there's any way to predict whether there is MM in the organs, or not.  Some people have it set up shop in the organ systems very quickly, while others can have literally hundreds of subcutaneous tumors with clean organ systems.  I wish we knew why that happend and could make some good use of it!

I think I remember your story – your husband prefers not to treat in order to maximize quality of life, is that correct?  If he's not in significant pain, and if there's no significant organ involvement, it's possible that an appreciable "quantity" of that quality of life still is available for you both.  I wish you well…

warmly,

KatyWI

Sherron
            Participant

Yes, Katy, that is Jim….He cares about quality of life.  and for the past 4 years 1 month, everything was going well, until about 3 weeks ago….when all this started happening.   He has had discomfort in some of the lumps.  And he has had some stomach issues.  I have been quite worried about the stomach.  He has missed about 2 1/2 weeks of work.  He feels a little better and is now working again.  I know when it gets very painful, he will go to get pain medication.  So, you think this is being spread through the blood stream.

Thank you for answering me.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Sherron
              Participant

Yes, Katy, that is Jim….He cares about quality of life.  and for the past 4 years 1 month, everything was going well, until about 3 weeks ago….when all this started happening.   He has had discomfort in some of the lumps.  And he has had some stomach issues.  I have been quite worried about the stomach.  He has missed about 2 1/2 weeks of work.  He feels a little better and is now working again.  I know when it gets very painful, he will go to get pain medication.  So, you think this is being spread through the blood stream.

Thank you for answering me.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

KatyWI
              Participant

Hi Sherron,

From your description, it sounds to me like these new bumps are subcutaneous tumors, and the most likely way it spread was through the blood stream (e.g, stage IV disease).  I don't think there's any way to predict whether there is MM in the organs, or not.  Some people have it set up shop in the organ systems very quickly, while others can have literally hundreds of subcutaneous tumors with clean organ systems.  I wish we knew why that happend and could make some good use of it!

I think I remember your story – your husband prefers not to treat in order to maximize quality of life, is that correct?  If he's not in significant pain, and if there's no significant organ involvement, it's possible that an appreciable "quantity" of that quality of life still is available for you both.  I wish you well…

warmly,

KatyWI

Janner
                Participant

You could actually have both lymphatic spread and blood stream spread, Sherron.  No way to know for sure.  But when you talk about areas beyond multiple nodal basins (legs), it's most likely via the bloodstream.  As far as preparing yourself, you know what the worst can be.  It doesn't take much imagination to go there.  Hopefully, that's not the case.  As for organ involvement, it's a crap shoot.  Could happen, might not.  This is a capricous beast and doesn't always do what is expected. Hopefully, Jim will see a doctor soon and you can get a better picture of what's going on so imagination doesn't take over!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

You could actually have both lymphatic spread and blood stream spread, Sherron.  No way to know for sure.  But when you talk about areas beyond multiple nodal basins (legs), it's most likely via the bloodstream.  As far as preparing yourself, you know what the worst can be.  It doesn't take much imagination to go there.  Hopefully, that's not the case.  As for organ involvement, it's a crap shoot.  Could happen, might not.  This is a capricous beast and doesn't always do what is expected. Hopefully, Jim will see a doctor soon and you can get a better picture of what's going on so imagination doesn't take over!

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics