The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question about brain radiation

Forums General Melanoma Community Question about brain radiation

Participant

Tomorrow I head off for yet another brain MRI followed by another radiation planning session on Friday (and another mask) and radiation necxt week.

This is my third go round with SRS brain radiation and something crossed my mind that I didn't think to ask the radiation oncologist last week. How many times can I dip into this well? In other words, how many times and how often can I have brain radiation before I can't have any more?

-Bill

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        doragsda
        Participant

Your radiation oncologist is going to be your source for this info.   He/she will be keeping track of accumulated dose to various areas of your brain.

If they have been treating the same lesions in the same locations more than once, the answer will be different than if they are treating different lesions in different locations.   SRS structures the radiation exposure so it converges in the tumor, and the surrounding tissues get a lower exposure.   

I was a Radiation Safety Officer at a University for 25 years, though we didn't treat people with radiation.   My wife had two tumors in her brain treated with Gamma Knife in August 2017, and I spent the entire treatment talking to the Health Physicist at the gamma knife facility.   Because of my background, he was very informative and went over what they do in detail.

cancersnewnormal
          Participant

Your rad onc is definitely the one with the best advice and most info to give you. I'm sure it depends more on the total tumor volume that you've had treated. From a more personal perspective… I've had 10 rounds of gamma knife. Yup… 10 times on 10 separate dates between April 2013 and Feb 2016. 2014 was a horrible year for me, with 7 in one year. I've had a total of 39 lesions zapped…. most caught very early with frequent brain MRI's. Soooooo… apparently, you can dip into that well plenty regularly, and still come out with less overall radiation exposure than you'd have gotten with whole brain. Nooooot that you want to keep having to rely on another brain frying to buy time for something else to kick in… but don't worry yourself just yet. 🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics