The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question! 911

Forums General Melanoma Community Question! 911

Participant

Quick question guys, since were all in the same boat with side effects from Immunal Therapies and other meds that may cause pain, not to mention our cancer itself, what medication that is NOT a narcotic that is good for deep "Nerve" pain, i take Naproxine 500mg and apparently thats the highest Kaiser will go in milligrams..Any leads would be appreciated, im waiting on a call from my Dr. to ask, another thing, and maybe Kaisers different then most Ins., isnt our Oncologist sappose to deal with pain management? or is it our Primary Doctor? {Internal Med Doc} just curious…thanx guys!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Hi Mike! Nerve pain is a b*tch. I've used gabepentin in the past for nerve pain and it helped some. There is also Lyrica, Topamax, and other such meds. Working in a primary care office for over a year has gotten me used to drug names, haha. Naproxen is nice, but it's an anti-inflammatory and not really used for strictly nerve pain. Hope you are taking it with food every time.. stomach ulcers are no fun. I take 500mg etodolac twice a day these days for my newly fun torn shoulder pain, another strong anti-inflammatory. I also take the dredded opioid as needed and only at night when the shoulder gets real bad. But, once it's fixed up in January I can say goodbye to pain meds!

Typically while you are still active in treatment your oncologist is the one to deal with side effect management. Your primary care doc should be informed of any new medications or treatments, but anything directly related to cancer should come from the oncologist. Post-treatment it would defer back to the PCP to be your main point of contact for health issues and medications. I didn't stick around Kaiser long enough once I was diagnosed so I am not sure if they do it a little differently there.

Hope you had a great turkey day yesterday! 

lkb
          Participant

I've always dealt with my oncologist's office for Nivo side effects. They know what to expect and how aggressively to treat. Nerve pain can't be fun. Is acupuncture an option?

RichInLife2
            Participant

I think it depends on the side effect. When I got whacked with Type 1 Diabetes as an adverse effect from Nivolumab, I was referred to an endocrinologist. If you go through your PCP or another doctor, just make sure that the other doctor and your oncologist are in communication. 

Joycem
              Participant

Hi Mike,

My mom (nerve pain after shingles) finally got good relief from a combination of gabapentin, duloxetine, and occasional tramadol. The tramadol is a synthetic opioid but lower addiction potential than the oxycodone/hydrocodine which don’t really work welll for neuropathic pain. 

Hope you find some relief soon.

kannevans
                Participant

Hey Mike, like everyone else I use gabapentin For the nerve pain in my foot. I still get those sharp stabbing pain’s and gabapentin usually does the trick and my oncologist Said it is perfectly fine to take with treatment.  Nerve pain is the worst, I hope you can get some kind of relief! 

Kris 

MelanomaMike
                  Participant

Thank you all & good morning! {and isnt it nice to NOT see all the Spam/Scams on a lovely Saturday morning? haha Thanx MRF!} Well, it looks like Gabapentin is in the lead for my Nerve pain, ive read even prior from you guys and other sites that Gabapentin seems to be the "GoTo" med for nerves..I will ask about it to my Onco and or Reg Dr….Thanks guys!

marta010
                      Participant

Hi Mike – would strongly encourage you to meet with a Palliative Care physician.  They have lots of experience with chronic pain and would be a great resource. Hope you find relief.

Ann

Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics