The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question

Forums General Melanoma Community Question

Participant
      So I’m going on my 3rd year after being diagnosed 3b with 1 lymph node positive. I did 3 mg ipi and a clnd. Last year I had a mole biopsied on my back. It was atypical. Well it kind of turned out to be a thick scar that has itched like crazy for awhile. I see derm every 4 mo and last time I had her look at it. She thought it looked like normal scar tissue. So it’s been about 3 months and this thing just itches. A few weeks ago I had my husband look at it and he said it looked like there was a little scab. I was like well that doesn’t make sense. Meanwhile it’s still bugging me so I try to feel it and it feels like it has gotten noticeably larger, like thicker. So again my hubby looks and says it’s now white. Almost like blistery looking. I go to my derm in a few weeks but I thought I’d see what you guys thought.

Rachel

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jennab0525
        Participant

Hi Rachel!

I would definitely insist the derm take a closer look or maybe get a second opinion. Not sure what your first melanoma appeared like but mine was on my upper right shoulder and started as a kind of redish odd "mark". I went to my local doc at the time and he said he thought it was a seberrohic keratosis so he froze it off. For a few months the area where he froze it looked like a healing red flat scar. Then over last summer that red scar turned quickly grew into a raised red/pink bump. I went back to my local doc to have him remove it because I thought it was ugly (did not even have one thought it might be melanoma!). Well it came back as nodular melanoma 3.5 mm deep! And thus started my journey.

Anyway not telling you this to scare you but just inform you that not all melanoma looks black or like a mole. Nodular melanoma appears differently and like mine is often misdiagnosed. 

Please keep us posted what your derm says! I'm sure it's nothing but you can never be too cautious with this stuff!!

Jenna

Jennab0525
          Participant

Hi Rachel!

I would definitely insist the derm take a closer look or maybe get a second opinion. Not sure what your first melanoma appeared like but mine was on my upper right shoulder and started as a kind of redish odd "mark". I went to my local doc at the time and he said he thought it was a seberrohic keratosis so he froze it off. For a few months the area where he froze it looked like a healing red flat scar. Then over last summer that red scar turned quickly grew into a raised red/pink bump. I went back to my local doc to have him remove it because I thought it was ugly (did not even have one thought it might be melanoma!). Well it came back as nodular melanoma 3.5 mm deep! And thus started my journey.

Anyway not telling you this to scare you but just inform you that not all melanoma looks black or like a mole. Nodular melanoma appears differently and like mine is often misdiagnosed. 

Please keep us posted what your derm says! I'm sure it's nothing but you can never be too cautious with this stuff!!

Jenna

Jennab0525
            Participant

Hi Rachel!

Jenna

AshleyS
              Participant

Hi Rachel,

Second opinions can seem silly but it might be worth considering. The scab-like thing is a bit concerning. However, the itching may not be. I build up very thick scar tissue and it always itches. Even very old scars continue to itch. I hope it really is nothing. 

Best of luck,

Ashley

AshleyS
                Participant

Hi Rachel,

Second opinions can seem silly but it might be worth considering. The scab-like thing is a bit concerning. However, the itching may not be. I build up very thick scar tissue and it always itches. Even very old scars continue to itch. I hope it really is nothing. 

Best of luck,

Ashley

AshleyS
                  Participant

Hi Rachel,

Best of luck,

Ashley

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics