The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Puzzling scan results

Forums General Melanoma Community Puzzling scan results

Participant
      Hello MelPeeps! Today I got the results from my latest PETCT and MRI scans. Will probably hear from my doc Monday, but in the meantime:
      MRI: Abnormal right level 2B lymph node measuring 10 mm, likely representing nodal metastatic disease
      PETCT: – Right level 2B/3 node: Resolved. Previously 4 mm with SUV max 5.3.
      Not sure how a tumor can be both resolved and bigger, unless it means dead tissue.

Anyone had an experience like this/have an idea?

Current treatment is Pembro plus IL-12 injections followed by electroporation. The 2B lesion has been there since December 2018.

With thanks,
      Lisa

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant
          Wow, that’s a head-scratcher for sure. It does sound like the MRI may have picked up on some dead tissue. Let’s hope that’s all it is.

CynthiaLee
            Participant
              Previously 4mm with SUV max 5.3 ….this is what was seen prior to this scan. This scan it is resolved. The SUV max isn’t a size determination.
              The maximum standardized uptake value (SUVmax) is widely used for measuring the uptake of FDG by malignant tissue (Gambhir 2002). Increased FDG uptake values reflect the viability of cancer cells, and can be imaged and quantified using PET.
              So previous scan showed 5.3 uptake in 4 mm area. That now shows as resolved.
              CynthiaLee
              Participant
                Sorry, I see size now in lines abive and can’t delete
              Bubbles
              Participant
                Hey Lisa,
                Absence of activity (lighting up on the PET) is more important that the size noted on the MRI. So you may well be dealing with “increased size” on the MRI due to an increase in necrotic tissue that it can “seen” there…but that is dead….and therefore NOT lighting up on the PET! So that’s probably a good thing. If it is a superficial node, a biopsy could give a definitive answer….or you and your doc may be comfortable with watching and waiting. Just my thoughts. I’m sure your doc will give a full explanation. Fingers crossed that you will hear good news!! celeste
                  lkb
                  Participant
                    Thank you, Celeste!
              Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics