The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ptosis and Headaches

Forums General Melanoma Community Ptosis and Headaches

Participant

Hey, everyone. I am wondering if others have experiences ptosis (drooping eyelid) with headaches while on ipi/nivo or nivo alone. I am stage 4 and was able to complete 3 of 4 doses of ipi/nivo (the last of which was in September 2016). I have been on nivo for over a year. (Long stroy re: why my ipi/nivo combo was done halfway into my first year of treatment; I'll spare you that here.)

For the last couple of months I've noticed that my left eyelid is quite droopy but didn't really think anything of it. I just attributed it to being a 53-year-old woman until my oncologist noticed it at my last treatment. An MRI of the brain was clear (whew!) but now I will be seeing a neuro-oncologist on the 21st. Am I safe to assume no brain mets since the MRI was clear? 

I have always been prone to headached (including migraines with and without aura), so I hadn't thought much of the recent headaches either. I'm curious if they can be connected to the ptosis. 

I know I will eventually get answers, but like most of us, I like to know as much as I can before I go into the neuro appointment – if only to be able to ask intelligent questions. I have tried searching for ptosis as a side effect of nivo, etc. but can't find much. 

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? If so, what caused yours? What did they do to treat it (if anything)? Any shared experience or advice is welcome. 

Thank you. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Hi Christine,

Think I read somewhere that in rare cases a side effect can be bells palsy _a one sided facial muscle weakness where the treatment is steroids which shortens the course of this problem which can run in families and is caused when a nerve is pinched or compressed due to inflammation . You may be dealing with this or something similar. The family thing is due to shared genetic bone structure which in some cases gives little room for inflammation.

However, wouldn't want to jump to any conclusions.. Would let the docs make an assessment bit might think about writing down anything out of the ordinary symptom wise before the consult as I often come away and think I have missed mentioning something that might be relevant.

Hope you get answers shortly and that it is easily treated.. Along with the melanoma..

Best wishges

Deb

debwray
          Participant

Hi Christine,

Think I read somewhere that in rare cases a side effect can be bells palsy _a one sided facial muscle weakness where the treatment is steroids which shortens the course of this problem which can run in families and is caused when a nerve is pinched or compressed due to inflammation . You may be dealing with this or something similar. The family thing is due to shared genetic bone structure which in some cases gives little room for inflammation.

However, wouldn't want to jump to any conclusions.. Would let the docs make an assessment bit might think about writing down anything out of the ordinary symptom wise before the consult as I often come away and think I have missed mentioning something that might be relevant.

Hope you get answers shortly and that it is easily treated.. Along with the melanoma..

Best wishges

Deb

debwray
            Participant

Hi Christine,

Best wishges

Deb

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics