The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Psoriatic arthritis and Pembro (Keytruda)

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Psoriatic arthritis and Pembro (Keytruda)

Participant

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone out there seems to have developed joint pain and rash patches on the skin that could be psoriatic arthritis as a side effect of Pembro (Keytruda)?  I've been on Pembro for almost 4.5 years now for my stage 4 melanoma.  Last year I developed a rash patch on my scalp that itches and burns and joint pain that has never really gone away over the past year.  I'm worried that if I continue on the drug, that the joint pain and arthritis will only get worse and will not be reversible.  Thoughts?

Have any of you been on Pembro (Keytruda) for this length of time and what are your doctors recommendations for length of remaining on treatment?  What are your side effects this far out?

Have any of you come off Pembro (Keytruda) and the cancer has returned?

Thank you so much and all my best,  Laurie

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        Casitas1
        Participant
          Hi Laurie, I have autoimmune arthritis due to Pembro. Minus the rash it’s pretty brutal all joints affected and worse in legs. Getting an infusion of Remicade as we speak. Made it through 13 bags before we decided to stop infusions due to inflammation and NED. Been post treatment for 4 months. Dr. said we probly did two bags to many. I can’t imagine 4.5 years! You are amazing! Best,Paul
          Casitas1
          Participant
            Hi Laurie, I have autoimmune arthritis due to Pembro. Minus the rash it’s pretty brutal all joints affected and worse in legs. Getting an infusion of Remicade as we speak. Made it through 13 bags before we decided to stop infusions due to inflammation and NED. Been post treatment for 4 months. Dr. said we probly did two bags to many. I can’t imagine 4.5 years! You are amazing! Best,Paul
            Casitas1
            Participant
              cancersnewnormal
              Participant

Wow Laurie…  you have been on Keytruda for a long time! Happy that it seems to be working quite well for you, but sorry about the joint pain and rash. I was on Pembro from Oct 2014 until July 2016, when I stopped infusions due to mild pancreatitis and inflammatory arthritis. "Jubes" also has joint issues from the immunotherapy. My pancreatic enzyme levels returned to normal after stopping infusions, but the joint pain continues. I'm now seeing a rheumatologist, who has me on 500 mg of Sulfasalazine 3 times per day. It took about 5 weeks to kick in, but has been SO MUCH BETTER. I got to the point that sleeping and basic life became a challange. With the sulfasalazine, I'm back to riding my bicycle and living like a normal person again! Are your scans NED? Or are you in the "stable" category?

An email exchange with one of my former oncologists lead to the discussion of "when to stop" infusions. He mentioned that this is still an uncertain and hot topic of discussion at conferences. However, he also stated that there are doctors now thinking along the lines of 6 months after a patient shows stability or NED. The thought is that this could prevent some of the (ever mounting numbers) long term side effects showing up, and the patient's ability to get back on a regular infusion schedule, should any change of disease status reoccur.

Thus far, my team of docs and I are hoping that this inflammatory arthritis will be temporary, and we will be able to eliminate the need for Sulfasalazine at some point in the near future. My last Pembro infusion was July 5, 2016….. and so far… (knock on wood)… my body CT's and brain MRI's have come back clean.

There is another somewhat recent post here on the forum regarding inflammatory joint pain. An article with some interesting information. If you dig a few pages into the forum here, it shouldn't be too difficult to find again. Additionally… I came across this pub med paper when researching the issue for my own troubles: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5051426/

You can probably remain on Pembro, but get some treatment for the joint pain as well…… something to discuss with your oncologist. 

cancersnewnormal
                  Participant

I found the article posted previously here on the forum…. Page 4… thank you to Debwray! Here is the link: http://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/full/10.2217/imt-2016-0117?src=recsys

debwray
                    Participant

Hi… If you follow the link above then there are articles referenced on psoriatic arthritis and nivo..try from number 15 etc. Article is Jan 2017 so refs are pretty up to date.

Good luck

Deb

debwray
                      Participant

Hi… If you follow the link above then there are articles referenced on psoriatic arthritis and nivo..try from number 15 etc. Article is Jan 2017 so refs are pretty up to date.

Good luck

Deb

debwray
                        Participant

Good luck

Deb

cancersnewnormal
                          Participant

I found the article posted previously here on the forum…. Page 4… thank you to Debwray! Here is the link: http://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/full/10.2217/imt-2016-0117?src=recsys

cancersnewnormal
                            Participant

sweetaugust
                              Participant

Thanks Niki!  I appreciate the articles.  I've been stable since December 2013. And I keep hearing that lots of doctors are thinking 6 months after being stable is a good amount.  So I talked to my doctors about it and they just don't want to take chances because the drug is so new.  And I had been told a couple years ago that if I came off the drug, that the melanoma should never grow back…as the body had been re-trained.  So I mentioned that a few months ago to my doctors, that if I came off isn't my body re-trained and I should be fine…and they said it's just too soon to tell.  I just don't want to go too far and just let the side effects mount up until I am then forced into taking more drugs to counter the effects.  

Thank you so much for the help.  Have a great night,

Laurie

sweetaugust
                                Participant

Thanks Niki!  I appreciate the articles.  I've been stable since December 2013. And I keep hearing that lots of doctors are thinking 6 months after being stable is a good amount.  So I talked to my doctors about it and they just don't want to take chances because the drug is so new.  And I had been told a couple years ago that if I came off the drug, that the melanoma should never grow back…as the body had been re-trained.  So I mentioned that a few months ago to my doctors, that if I came off isn't my body re-trained and I should be fine…and they said it's just too soon to tell.  I just don't want to go too far and just let the side effects mount up until I am then forced into taking more drugs to counter the effects.  

Laurie

sweetaugust
                                  Participant

Laurie

cancersnewnormal
                                    Participant

I don't blame you for questioning coming off the meds. While I don't want to die from melanoma, I don't want an autoimmune disease caused by the drugs to kill or mame me either!

cancersnewnormal
                                      Participant

I don't blame you for questioning coming off the meds. While I don't want to die from melanoma, I don't want an autoimmune disease caused by the drugs to kill or mame me either!

sweetaugust
                                        Participant

Exactly how I feel Niki!!!  Exactly!  ๐Ÿ™‚

sweetaugust
                                          Participant

sweetaugust
                                            Participant

cancersnewnormal
                                              Participant

cancersnewnormal
                                              Participant

Wow Laurie…  you have been on Keytruda for a long time! Happy that it seems to be working quite well for you, but sorry about the joint pain and rash. I was on Pembro from Oct 2014 until July 2016, when I stopped infusions due to mild pancreatitis and inflammatory arthritis. "Jubes" also has joint issues from the immunotherapy. My pancreatic enzyme levels returned to normal after stopping infusions, but the joint pain continues. I'm now seeing a rheumatologist, who has me on 500 mg of Sulfasalazine 3 times per day. It took about 5 weeks to kick in, but has been SO MUCH BETTER. I got to the point that sleeping and basic life became a challange. With the sulfasalazine, I'm back to riding my bicycle and living like a normal person again! Are your scans NED? Or are you in the "stable" category?

An email exchange with one of my former oncologists lead to the discussion of "when to stop" infusions. He mentioned that this is still an uncertain and hot topic of discussion at conferences. However, he also stated that there are doctors now thinking along the lines of 6 months after a patient shows stability or NED. The thought is that this could prevent some of the (ever mounting numbers) long term side effects showing up, and the patient's ability to get back on a regular infusion schedule, should any change of disease status reoccur.

Thus far, my team of docs and I are hoping that this inflammatory arthritis will be temporary, and we will be able to eliminate the need for Sulfasalazine at some point in the near future. My last Pembro infusion was July 5, 2016….. and so far… (knock on wood)… my body CT's and brain MRI's have come back clean.

There is another somewhat recent post here on the forum regarding inflammatory joint pain. An article with some interesting information. If you dig a few pages into the forum here, it shouldn't be too difficult to find again. Additionally… I came across this pub med paper when researching the issue for my own troubles: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5051426/

You can probably remain on Pembro, but get some treatment for the joint pain as well…… something to discuss with your oncologist. 

cancersnewnormal
                                                Participant

Twhite00000
                                                  Participant

I know this is an older post, I hope you are doing well.  I think IA or PsA are under reported side effects of Keytruda and other immunotherapies.  I was only able to remain on Keytruda for less than 3 months before excruciating neck pain and then all joints, and muscle weakness.  I had to go on high dose prednisone for two months then it took another 6 months to wean off.   Now three years later I have psoriasis in my ears it is like an itch you cannot scratch but luckily it comes and goes, and my knees are weak and painful and the prednisone increased my weight A LOT, and I still have not been able to lose weight, I am likely the fattest stage 4 cancer patient in history LOL.   So, yes I believe join pain and muscle pain are caused by Keytruda but for many the alternative is worse.  My story is not all bad though, my PET scan back in Nov '18 came back NED, and I am off all treatment and just need regular scans for observation.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics