The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Progression on BRAF drugs

Forums General Melanoma Community Progression on BRAF drugs

Participant

Got the results of my latest round of PET Scans and Brain MRI's and it's not good news.  The PET Scan shows two new lymph nodes lighting up – one in my neck and one in my chest.  I was NED from the neck down for over a yearf.  I discovered I had brain tumors in October and was treated with WBR at that time. 

The latest brain MRI is a mixed bag – with some tumors appearing smaller and others appearing larger.  Trying to get set up for cyber knife as well as getting scheduled with a visit to Dr. Sharfman in Baltimore and/or Dr., Kirkwood in Pittsburgh to see if I'm eligible for any trials.  My brain mets seem stable at the moment in that I'm not having any symptioms, at least.  But I know this makes my chances for a trial more of a a long shot.

If anyone has any suggestions about trials or follow-on treatments after BRAF inhibitors, I'm all ears.  Should I shoot for some kind of PD1 trial or maybe go the ipi route?  Any thoughts?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Patina
        Participant
          Hi,

Sorry to hear about this. Can you tell us what other drugs you’ve been on?

My Mom had gamma knife treatment for 8 mets 12/13 and 16 4/14. The first are stable or smaller. We don’t know about the 16 mets treated this month….
          She had Yervoy and responded well. The next treatment would be BRAF/Mel combo or a PD-1 for her if the brain mets progress or increase in number.
          She had the gamma knife done at USC in Los Angeles. Excellent doctors.

bj63
            Participant

I was on Interferon for about 8 months when I was Stage III.  I was diagnosed as Stage IV in October 2012, and was on vemurafenib for 14 months.  Switched to dabrafenib in late December 2013, and added trametinib the next month, soon after it was FDA approved for use in the combo.

bj63
              Participant

I was on Interferon for about 8 months when I was Stage III.  I was diagnosed as Stage IV in October 2012, and was on vemurafenib for 14 months.  Switched to dabrafenib in late December 2013, and added trametinib the next month, soon after it was FDA approved for use in the combo.

bj63
                Participant

Patina
                Participant
                  Hi,

My Mom had gamma knife treatment for 8 mets 12/13 and 16 4/14. The first are stable or smaller. We don’t know about the 16 mets treated this month….
                  She had Yervoy and responded well. The next treatment would be BRAF/Mel combo or a PD-1 for her if the brain mets progress or increase in number.

Patina
                  Participant
                    Hi,

BrianP
                    Participant

BJ,

You might want to check out this thread on MIF:

http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34968

bj63
                        Participant

Thanks for the link!

bj63
                          Participant

Thanks for the link!

bj63
                            Participant

Thanks for the link!

BrianP
                            Participant

BJ,

BrianP
                              Participant

BJ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics