The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

prognosis?

Forums General Melanoma Community prognosis?

Participant

Hi I have been newely diagnosed with melanoma stage 1B. The Path report stated 1.2mm in depth, and less than 1mm for mitotic rate and no ulceration.  I have to have a wide margin biopsy and lymph node biopsy.  I have surgery the 5th.

I was wondering has anyone else had the stage B and have it come back?

I know I should worry about one thing at a time, since I havent had surgery yet, but I have seen so many of you that started at stage 1 and then it has come back and moved up stages.

thanks for your input

Hi I have been newely diagnosed with melanoma stage 1B. The Path report stated 1.2mm in depth, and less than 1mm for mitotic rate and no ulceration.  I have to have a wide margin biopsy and lymph node biopsy.  I have surgery the 5th.

I was wondering has anyone else had the stage B and have it come back?

I know I should worry about one thing at a time, since I havent had surgery yet, but I have seen so many of you that started at stage 1 and then it has come back and moved up stages.

thanks for your input

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

I know what you mean, it seems like most Stage I cases advance and come back as III or IV.  But I think the folks who tend to post on sites like this skew that to make it seem that it always happens when it's not really the case.

JC
          Participant

I know what you mean, it seems like most Stage I cases advance and come back as III or IV.  But I think the folks who tend to post on sites like this skew that to make it seem that it always happens when it's not really the case.

JC
            Participant

MichaelFL
              Participant

No, for most it does not come back. It just seems that way here because sadly for those that post, for whatever reason, it did. One has to take into consideration their individual circumstances as you do not know them for anyone except yourself. For those that the melanoma did not come back, most are no longer here as they decided to move on. (I just decided to pop in today too)

Look at it from the other side, you have over a 90% chance it will not return in five years, and about 85% for 10 years. You also have a very high likelyhood that you SNB will come back negative as well.

Keep a positive outlook, and let the board know the results of your WLE and SNB.

A message from a 4+ year survivor at stage 1b.

MichaelFL
                Participant

No, for most it does not come back. It just seems that way here because sadly for those that post, for whatever reason, it did. One has to take into consideration their individual circumstances as you do not know them for anyone except yourself. For those that the melanoma did not come back, most are no longer here as they decided to move on. (I just decided to pop in today too)

Look at it from the other side, you have over a 90% chance it will not return in five years, and about 85% for 10 years. You also have a very high likelyhood that you SNB will come back negative as well.

Keep a positive outlook, and let the board know the results of your WLE and SNB.

MichaelFL
                  Participant

shelbug66
                    Participant

My situation is similar, I was diagnosed Stage 1B in November of 2010, nodular with 1.21mm depth, no ulceration, but a higher mitotic rate.  I'm almost 2 years out now, and have no evidence of disease (NED).  I hope to stay Stage 1B forever, and try not to worry.

Hang in there, think positive thoughts, and let us know your results from surgery!!!

Shelley

JC
                        Participant

Shelbug66, I saw in your profile that you had re-excision for mild cytologic atypia on shoulder.  I have had mild atypia that extended to margins but they have not gone back and re-excised, I guess they only would for moderate to severe.  Should I insist on re-excision for mildly atypical that involves margins?

Janner
                          Participant

There is no consensus on margins for mildly atypical lesions.  Some doctors want it all gone, others see no need.  I probably wouldn't go back in now to get clean margins, but I would watch that scar for any signs of pigment regrowth.  Any regrowth would still likely be mildly atypical but if it is changing, it would be time to have it removed again.  In the end, you need to do what makes YOU comfortable!

Janner

Janner
                            Participant

There is no consensus on margins for mildly atypical lesions.  Some doctors want it all gone, others see no need.  I probably wouldn't go back in now to get clean margins, but I would watch that scar for any signs of pigment regrowth.  Any regrowth would still likely be mildly atypical but if it is changing, it would be time to have it removed again.  In the end, you need to do what makes YOU comfortable!

Janner

Janner
                              Participant

Janner

shelbug66
                                Participant

I'm with Janner on this one, I would just watch the area for regrowth, and wouldn't have a re-excision.  My dermatologist was being overly cautious, mainly to put my mind at ease, as I was still really in shock over the whole melanoma diagnosis.  But again, you need to do what feels right for you and puts your mind at ease.  A year after my diagnosis, I worried over every spot I saw, but now I'm finding I'm much more at ease and though I keep a very close eye on my 'spots', I watch them for change over a period of time instead of immediately thinking I should make an appointment with my dermatologist.  So far, so good.

Shelley 

shelbug66
                                  Participant

I'm with Janner on this one, I would just watch the area for regrowth, and wouldn't have a re-excision.  My dermatologist was being overly cautious, mainly to put my mind at ease, as I was still really in shock over the whole melanoma diagnosis.  But again, you need to do what feels right for you and puts your mind at ease.  A year after my diagnosis, I worried over every spot I saw, but now I'm finding I'm much more at ease and though I keep a very close eye on my 'spots', I watch them for change over a period of time instead of immediately thinking I should make an appointment with my dermatologist.  So far, so good.

Shelley 

shelbug66
                                    Participant

Shelley 

JC
                                      Participant

Shelbug66, I saw in your profile that you had re-excision for mild cytologic atypia on shoulder.  I have had mild atypia that extended to margins but they have not gone back and re-excised, I guess they only would for moderate to severe.  Should I insist on re-excision for mildly atypical that involves margins?

JC
                                        Participant

shelbug66
                                        Participant

My situation is similar, I was diagnosed Stage 1B in November of 2010, nodular with 1.21mm depth, no ulceration, but a higher mitotic rate.  I'm almost 2 years out now, and have no evidence of disease (NED).  I hope to stay Stage 1B forever, and try not to worry.

Hang in there, think positive thoughts, and let us know your results from surgery!!!

Shelley

shelbug66
                                          Participant

Shelley

Janner
                                            Participant

One step at a time.  You do not have your final staging until after the SNB.

As for being stage I and it coming back versus not coming back…

I have been stage IB, over 20 years now.  I can't tell you the number of newly diagnosed stage I people who have come here and then LEFT because — after the surgeries and general information gathering is over, there is really no reason to remain here.  People move on.  Tell me this — in a year from now — if you have had no recurrence — WHY would you be here?  What would you really gain from watching later stages deal with their disease besides anxiety?  I've been here 11 years now as stage I and I stay here to help other newly diagnosed get the information they need.  I also stay here to monitor stage IV treatments as my father is stage IV.  I am not here as a stage I patient for myself at all.  I'm an anomoly being stage I here for so many years.  There are a few others around, but we're exceptions of the good type!  Stage I that are still stage I and are still here.  Maybe a bit crazy to still be here, but we try to provide some perspective. 

If you are stage I, can it come back?  Yes.  Is it probable?  No.  There are survival statistics that show that the vast majority of stage I do not recur.  This site is NOT representative of the survival statistics.  This is a site primarily consisting of newly diagnosed and exceptions — those fighting active disease.  Any attempt to view this site as a representative sample of the melanoma population is totally inaccurate.

Janner
                                              Participant

I have been stage IB, over 20 years now.  I can't tell you the number of newly diagnosed stage I people who have come here and then LEFT because — after the surgeries and general information gathering is over, there is really no reason to remain here.  People move on.  Tell me this — in a year from now — if you have had no recurrence — WHY would you be here?  What would you really gain from watching later stages deal with their disease besides anxiety?  I've been here 11 years now as stage I and I stay here to help other newly diagnosed get the information they need.  I also stay here to monitor stage IV treatments as my father is stage IV.  I am not here as a stage I patient for myself at all.  I'm an anomoly being stage I here for so many years.  There are a few others around, but we're exceptions of the good type!  Stage I that are still stage I and are still here.  Maybe a bit crazy to still be here, but we try to provide some perspective. 

If you are stage I, can it come back?  Yes.  Is it probable?  No.  There are survival statistics that show that the vast majority of stage I do not recur.  This site is NOT representative of the survival statistics.  This is a site primarily consisting of newly diagnosed and exceptions — those fighting active disease.  Any attempt to view this site as a representative sample of the melanoma population is totally inaccurate.

simone
                                                  Participant

As another 1B, I really appreciate your message and all that you do for this site.  You are a wealth of knowledge and you help provide some "control" in such an out-of control & scary time for us.  Thank you.  I hope there is a time that I can look at these posts and not get scared.  I guess maybe for now, I should try to focus on feeling lucky that I'm 1 and not 4.

thanks for all you do.  truly!

simone
                                                    Participant

As another 1B, I really appreciate your message and all that you do for this site.  You are a wealth of knowledge and you help provide some "control" in such an out-of control & scary time for us.  Thank you.  I hope there is a time that I can look at these posts and not get scared.  I guess maybe for now, I should try to focus on feeling lucky that I'm 1 and not 4.

simone
                                                      Participant

Janner
                                                      Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics