The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Probably nothing but what can this black spot be?

Forums General Melanoma Community Probably nothing but what can this black spot be?

Participant

About 3 weeks ago while showering I noticed a black spot at the base of my big toe. When it wouldnt wash off I tried scraping it off when I got out of the shower, but it didnt budge. I got busy, planning and getting ready for vacation and totally forgot about it.

Then we went on vacation where I got a bad dose of food poisoning on the last day. I am still not 100% but I started trying to scrape off that black spot again and when it still wouldn't move I started looking online.

I have had dozens of moles removed, they were all dysplastic. In Feb. 2009 I had  WLE & SNB for a stage 2A melanoma, ulcerated with a high miotic rate.  Unfortunately the WLE & SNB took place by a surgeon in a hospital AFTER the dermatologist had already excised the mole and then done his own WLE of the area.  I try my best to forget that and have done a darn good job of it for 7 1/2 years!

But now this black spot, sorry for the ugly senior citizen foot (:big toe left foot

It hasn't grown in 3 weeks or so as far as I can tell and doesn't look anything like the photos of melanoma of the nail I have seen online. I have to admit I haven't seen a dermatologist in 3 years but do you think I should start looking for one now?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Hi Susan,  

With your history I would get a dermatologist to have a look wit a dermascope and then take their advice. Your risk of a second primary is increased  – having had the original one and also as you have a number of dysplasic moles. If you are asking on this forum the possibility that it might be a melonoma is bugging you – if it is nothing to worry about- peace ofmind is wortha lot- and if not- we all know that treatment sooner rather than later is good. Best of luck.

debwray
          Participant

Hi Susan,  

With your history I would get a dermatologist to have a look wit a dermascope and then take their advice. Your risk of a second primary is increased  – having had the original one and also as you have a number of dysplasic moles. If you are asking on this forum the possibility that it might be a melonoma is bugging you – if it is nothing to worry about- peace ofmind is wortha lot- and if not- we all know that treatment sooner rather than later is good. Best of luck.

debwray
            Participant

Hi Susan,  

Maria C
              Participant

Hi Susan – 

I agree re: peace of mind. It could just be a blood blister but best to have a derm make that call.

Good luck!

susanspotless
                  Participant

Thanks, both of you πŸ™‚ I tried to make an appointment with a derm yesterday but apparently they dont work on Fridays here. Three derms that looked good to me have retired, 2 of them were only in their mid 40's so dermatology must be a lucrative field!

I am going to try again Monday. Ill let you know what comes of it. Thanks again!

susanspotless
                    Participant

Thanks, both of you πŸ™‚ I tried to make an appointment with a derm yesterday but apparently they dont work on Fridays here. Three derms that looked good to me have retired, 2 of them were only in their mid 40's so dermatology must be a lucrative field!

I am going to try again Monday. Ill let you know what comes of it. Thanks again!

susanspotless
                      Participant

susanspotless
                        Participant

susanspotless
                          Participant

susanspotless
                            Participant

Maria C
                            Participant

Hi Susan – 

I agree re: peace of mind. It could just be a blood blister but best to have a derm make that call.

Good luck!

Maria C
                              Participant

Hi Susan – 

Good luck!

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics