The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pregnancy after melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Pregnancy after melanoma

Participant

Hi All,

I was diagnosed in March with Stage 1a. .38 so it was just past in Situ. I am 36 and have 2 little kids. Wanted a 3rd but now thinking twice after my diagnosis. It’s been 6 months.

Has anyone had kids after a diagnosis? Would love to hear your thoughts. 

love to all! 

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        Alce123
        Participant
          I was diagnosed with 1a in 07/2016- .44mm. I’m currently 29 weeks pregnant and so far so good but I’ll keep you posted;) I was advised to wait a year before trying but the recommendations are all over the place.
          MelanomaMike
          Participant
            Wow! This is a very interesting question/subject! Bubbles get over here!.. Can Melanoma thats in the mothers system, work its way into the fetus/baby? (I hope not) lets research this & post our findings…
              Janner
              Participant

Yes, there are less than 10 documented cases in the last 20 years of stage IV women passing melanoma to the fetus.  STAGE IV mothers.  It can happen.  But if you aren't a stage IV mother, then this isn't an issue.  The biggest issue with prenancy and melanoma is not passing melanoma to the fetus, it's waiting to do treatment while the pregnancy continues.  You can't do treatments while pregnant.  So if you have a recurrence, you may have to delay treatment until the pregnancy is complete.  This is why they recommend waiting 1-2 years after a melanoma diagnosis before getting pregnant.  Statistically, that time frame is the most likely time for melanoma to recur. 

Hi.  I was diagnosed stage 1 when I was seven months pregnant with my first.  That was 12 years ago.  Nonen of my physicians mentioned waiting or had any concerns about continuing to have more children.  Again, that was 12 years ago so everything was different.  We ended up waiting 5 years before we had our second but that wasn't related to my diagnosis but other factors such as house size, jobs, etc.  I was diagnosed stage IV when my youngest was 5.  The drs weren't concerned about the girls at all.  I was a nervous wreck thinking I'd passed this beast on to them.

Luckily there is so much more data now.  Look to the docs for recommendations on how long you should wait.  I've heard 1 year but don't know if that's current or old data.  Live the life you want and have the children you feel you were meant to have.  Good wishes to you and your family.  

Jennifer

Nemesis
              Participant

I would like to hear more opinions.

DHinAZ
                Participant

I was diagnosed stage 1B last year when I was 17 weeks pregnant.  I safely had a WLE and SLNB biopsy at 19 weeks.  They test the placenta when you deliver to make sure the melanoma didn’t cross (unlikely it did).

As of April 2018 my oncologist at UCLA said we could pregnant again whenever we choose.  Basically, don’t change my life based on the diagnosis (not supported by research).  I am still worried though…

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics