The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Practical tips about 10 mg ipi

Forums General Melanoma Community Practical tips about 10 mg ipi

Participant

My husband was in the clinical trial of interferon vs. ipi for stage 3C melanoma under his thumbnail.  He was in the 10 mg arm. He had a partial amputation and a CLND. He received the first 4 infusions and then a small mets in his liver was found. He had microwave ablation . He has been NED for almost 2 years. We were terrified about the side effects, but he managed it well. So here are some tips

Gastric side effects: He did not have any until after the 2nd infusion. It then hit him hard. He discovered milk and whole grainn foods were the biggest culprits. If the diarrhea got too bad, he went on a diet of white rice, bananas, applesauce and he craved boiled eggs. He swears by his daily smootie of plain yogurt, bananas, and applesauce with keeping his GI tract under control. If he had more than 2 stools in a brief period, he took immodium. After he realized what set it off, the diarrhea bouts lessened. Sugar made him nauseated and still does.  Restaurant food was a problem sometimes too. 

Itchy skin: It seemed like the cheaper lotions, especially with baby oil worked the best. NIghly benadryl and occasional loratine during the day made it tolerable. The itching started early but disappeared fairly quickly after the infusions stopped. Sweatshirts and pants made the itching worse. 

Daily living: My husband is retired so he didn;t have to deal with work. He was and is very active. He actually increased his exercise routine. He golfs, skis, backpacks, does wood working, and exercises for about 1 1/2 hours a day six days a week. 

Permanent side effects: Milk and whole wheat still cause problems so he avoids them. He does have looser stools than before, but it is really not much of a problem. He has had no endocrine issues.

We were really scared when he started the ipi., but it really wasn't too bad. The small mets he had was devastating at the time, but we think the ipi was working because it got smaller from diagnosis to the surgery. He was lucky but also careful. Good luck to all of you . I am proud that he was a rattie for the stage 3 patients. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Thank you so much for sharing your husbands story and how he felt during his 10mg/kg ipi treatment. I am stage IIIB and I get my first 10mg/kg ipi infusion on Tuesday. I am a little nervous about side effects, but I feel like being a young and healthy person should help when dealing with any side effects.

All the best,

Jenn

jennunicorn
          Participant

Thank you so much for sharing your husbands story and how he felt during his 10mg/kg ipi treatment. I am stage IIIB and I get my first 10mg/kg ipi infusion on Tuesday. I am a little nervous about side effects, but I feel like being a young and healthy person should help when dealing with any side effects.

All the best,

Jenn

jennunicorn
            Participant

All the best,

Jenn

mkirkland
              Participant

Thank you for the tips and a huge thank you to your husband for participating in this trial! I start treatment 12/21. Needless to say, I am scared but praying for minimal side effects! I am 32 and have two small children but I have a great support system that helps alot! Best wishes!

Misty

mkirkland
                Participant

Thank you for the tips and a huge thank you to your husband for participating in this trial! I start treatment 12/21. Needless to say, I am scared but praying for minimal side effects! I am 32 and have two small children but I have a great support system that helps alot! Best wishes!

Misty

mkirkland
                  Participant

Misty

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics