The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Post Surgery

Forums General Melanoma Community Post Surgery

Participant
      I had my surgery yesterday. I checked in at 7:45, and at 8:30ish they called me back to prep me. Very different from Lewis Gale. At Carilion, there’s a big nurse station facing a semicircle of beds separated by curtains. Of course that’s where I had to strip down. I was worried someone would see me naked, and sure enough one nurse opened the curtain to get my urine sample. I didn’t even try to cover myself at that point I was just thinking, ” Well at least I’m not as big as I used to be!” Haha, so I put on this thick paper gown that attaches to a hose that heats it up.

I had my surgery yesterday. I checked in at 7:45, and at 8:30ish they called me back to prep me. Very different from Lewis Gale. At Carilion, there’s a big nurse station facing a semicircle of beds separated by curtains. Of course that’s where I had to strip down. I was worried someone would see me naked, and sure enough one nurse opened the curtain to get my urine sample. I didn’t even try to cover myself at that point I was just thinking, ” Well at least I’m not as big as I used to be!” Haha, so I put on this thick paper gown that attaches to a hose that heats it up. Pretty awesome until it makes you look HUGE!

I was pretty nervous and at first my blood pressure was 142 over…something. but the heat in the gown helped me relax and it went down to 114 over 70. This super nice anetheseologist came in and gave me something to calm me down. It made my vision blurry but I was grinning from ear to ear! So after my family wished me luck they rolled me on back there and I remember saying something kind of sarcastically and then I was out.

After I woke up, holy Jesus I was nauseus! I never threw up but I had a close call. I had the hardest time staying awake until after I fell asleep at home, too. But lucky me gets to wear a drain until Feb. 7th. I have decided not to see any friends until it’s gone. It grosses me out, I’m sure they don’t want to see it sticking out of my pocket at dinner.

Well now I’m pretty sore, a teeny weeny bit nauseus, but hoping this is my last cancer related surgery! Thank you everyone and God bless!

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        scots
        Participant

What is the doctors name that did you surgery at Carillion? I always have a problem with being  nauseus after surgery. Have they talked to you about the next step? Hope your recovery goes well.

scot

scots
          Participant

What is the doctors name that did you surgery at Carillion? I always have a problem with being  nauseus after surgery. Have they talked to you about the next step? Hope your recovery goes well.

scot

scots
            Participant

scot

Lilylove414
                Participant
                  Dr. Long. No, not really. I’m starting interferon on Feb. 6th so I think right now that’s the next step. And of course I have the 3 month checkups for 5 years. Thank you for your support Scot! I appreciate it!
                  God bless!
                  Lilylove414
                  Participant
                    Dr. Long. No, not really. I’m starting interferon on Feb. 6th so I think right now that’s the next step. And of course I have the 3 month checkups for 5 years. Thank you for your support Scot! I appreciate it!
                    God bless!
                    Lilylove414
                    Participant
                      God bless!
                    washoegal
                    Participant

Glad everything went well for you.  I eventually figured out how to hide my drain and even went out to lunch with a neighbor who had just had back surgery.  Our husbands took us out for a gimps lunch out….what a sight we were.  We both laughed so hard, our stiches felt like they were going to burst.  But boy was it theraputic.  My best advice is don't let that little ole' drain shut you completely off.

Take care,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                      Participant

Glad everything went well for you.  I eventually figured out how to hide my drain and even went out to lunch with a neighbor who had just had back surgery.  Our husbands took us out for a gimps lunch out….what a sight we were.  We both laughed so hard, our stiches felt like they were going to burst.  But boy was it theraputic.  My best advice is don't let that little ole' drain shut you completely off.

Take care,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                        Participant

Take care,

Mary

Stage 3

lhaley
                          Participant

If you every have surgery again, make sure and tell them that you have nauseus issues. They will give you something before the surgery and it solves the issue!

I made a little cloth pocketbook and lined it with plastic. I had no issues with the drain and went out to walk, shop and lunch!  Even when I had my bladder issue I rigged my clothes and we went out to lunch.  Don't make yourself a shut in! Of course don't over due it.

Don't count on the 7th.  They remove it when you no longer are draining.  That's so important to wait until it's ready to be out, will prevent problems in the future. 

Take care,

Linda

vickykay
                              Participant

Hi, I always have to laugh when I read what you post. You sound like a person I would love to be around. I am sorry you have to go through this, but I believe you will come out a winner. God does not give us more than we can handle. I will pray for you like I do for everyone in this group. No matter what , God is with us.       I had 3 drain tubes , and had to (wear) them for 3 weeks.  Not as bad as it sounds, some people have to keep them in for months. I had a friend that made them take hers out after 2 weeks, and  now she has to go back every week to have her chest drained. So please leave it in until the Dr wants to take it out.    The best thing I did for myself through all this, I just keep laughing.  Take good care of yourself.                                                     

vickykay
                                Participant

Hi, I always have to laugh when I read what you post. You sound like a person I would love to be around. I am sorry you have to go through this, but I believe you will come out a winner. God does not give us more than we can handle. I will pray for you like I do for everyone in this group. No matter what , God is with us.       I had 3 drain tubes , and had to (wear) them for 3 weeks.  Not as bad as it sounds, some people have to keep them in for months. I had a friend that made them take hers out after 2 weeks, and  now she has to go back every week to have her chest drained. So please leave it in until the Dr wants to take it out.    The best thing I did for myself through all this, I just keep laughing.  Take good care of yourself.                                                     

vickykay
                                  Participant

lhaley
                                  Participant

If you every have surgery again, make sure and tell them that you have nauseus issues. They will give you something before the surgery and it solves the issue!

I made a little cloth pocketbook and lined it with plastic. I had no issues with the drain and went out to walk, shop and lunch!  Even when I had my bladder issue I rigged my clothes and we went out to lunch.  Don't make yourself a shut in! Of course don't over due it.

Don't count on the 7th.  They remove it when you no longer are draining.  That's so important to wait until it's ready to be out, will prevent problems in the future. 

Take care,

Linda

lhaley
                                    Participant

Take care,

Linda

mcanova
                                      Participant

Were you only there a single day?  Did you not even spend the night?  Wow.  That was fast.  I was in hospital (MCV/VCU) for 4 nights.  Has everyone else's complete groin lymphadectomy been that fast too? 

Take it easy for the next few days.  No dancing for at least a week.

Mike from Richmond

mcanova
                                        Participant

Were you only there a single day?  Did you not even spend the night?  Wow.  That was fast.  I was in hospital (MCV/VCU) for 4 nights.  Has everyone else's complete groin lymphadectomy been that fast too? 

Mike from Richmond

mcanova
                                          Participant

Mike from Richmond

Lilylove414
                                              Participant
                                                Haha Mike I got my lymphadectomy under my left arm so they said as soo as I could hold down food and pee I was good to go. Thanks Vicky! I could probably dance, but definitely don’t feel like it yet. πŸ™‚ I hope it stops draining by the 7th, but I do appreciate the advice to keepp it longer if it doesn’t stop just yet. The nurse who said I only need to drain twice a day is a liar haha. I’m doing it 4 times today. Oh, and hiding it when outside is a great idea, I could use some fresh air! Thanks for the pointers everyone! I’m sure I’ll be keeping y’all updated!

God bless!

Lilylove414
                                                Participant
                                                  Haha Mike I got my lymphadectomy under my left arm so they said as soo as I could hold down food and pee I was good to go. Thanks Vicky! I could probably dance, but definitely don’t feel like it yet. πŸ™‚ I hope it stops draining by the 7th, but I do appreciate the advice to keepp it longer if it doesn’t stop just yet. The nurse who said I only need to drain twice a day is a liar haha. I’m doing it 4 times today. Oh, and hiding it when outside is a great idea, I could use some fresh air! Thanks for the pointers everyone! I’m sure I’ll be keeping y’all updated!

God bless!

Linny
                                                  Participant

That drain is a pain in butt. My surgeon gave me a mastectomy bra and I was able to keep that drain in the pouch that came withe the bra. If your doc didn't give you one and you can get in and out of a sports bra or stretchy cami you can use them to help keep the drain in place.

You'll be emptying that drain less and less as time goes on. πŸ™‚  My drain was removed at my two-week followup visit.

Linda

Linny
                                                    Participant

That drain is a pain in butt. My surgeon gave me a mastectomy bra and I was able to keep that drain in the pouch that came withe the bra. If your doc didn't give you one and you can get in and out of a sports bra or stretchy cami you can use them to help keep the drain in place.

You'll be emptying that drain less and less as time goes on. πŸ™‚  My drain was removed at my two-week followup visit.

Linda

Linny
                                                      Participant

Linda

Lilylove414
                                                        Participant

God bless!

wolfpac
                                                        Participant
                                                          Wishing you well in your recovery. My prayers will be with you. I have to remember that God only gives me today, and I want to live it to the fullest!

Al in Sunny Florida

wolfpac
                                                          Participant
                                                            Wishing you well in your recovery. My prayers will be with you. I have to remember that God only gives me today, and I want to live it to the fullest!

Al in Sunny Florida

wolfpac
                                                            Participant

Al in Sunny Florida

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics