The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Post cranio and GK: adjuvant or wait and watch ?

Forums General Melanoma Community Post cranio and GK: adjuvant or wait and watch ?

Participant

Hi wise MPIP-ers.  Asking again on behalf of a friend who – as you can imagine – has a lot on his plate right now.  He has had craniotomes for 2 mel mets intracranially in the last 2 weeks and last Thursday had GK on the third and last.  We are both working in Asia.  His (American) doctor here says to try for Zelboraf or Vemurafenib or try Ipi/Yervoy if he is BRAF neg. There is some suggestion of follow up radiation (not WBR) for the tumour beds that have recently been cleared.   His U.S doctor (Mayo Clinic) on the other hand,  says don't waste th

Hi wise MPIP-ers.  Asking again on behalf of a friend who – as you can imagine – has a lot on his plate right now.  He has had craniotomes for 2 mel mets intracranially in the last 2 weeks and last Thursday had GK on the third and last.  We are both working in Asia.  His (American) doctor here says to try for Zelboraf or Vemurafenib or try Ipi/Yervoy if he is BRAF neg. There is some suggestion of follow up radiation (not WBR) for the tumour beds that have recently been cleared.   His U.S doctor (Mayo Clinic) on the other hand,  says don't waste the "silver bullets" of BRAF/Ipi while you're technically NED and to monitor closely with a view to adjuvant treament if/when there is recurrence.

If it were me I would want the reassurance of something systemic but I am out of touch with current stage IV best practice.  Do any of you have thoughts or evidence either way for this decision ? 

any and all advice and opinions gratefully received – with much thanks to those people who are still kicking mel in the face every day….

AlisonC

Stage IIIB

NED since 2001

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lisa13
        Participant

Hi Alison,

I just had 2 brain mets gamma knifed this past Tuesday, so I do have some experience.

Even though your friend may be NED right now, it's a good thing to go on the ipi and see if it helps keep anymore brain mets from coming.  Even if the ipi helps and he reoccurs again, you can use it again which is great news!  If he's BRAF positive, then I would personally wait to use that until I really needed it.  IPI needs time to work (3 months) so if he has low tumour burden now, it's a great time to use it.

On October 31st I found out I had 50% regression in my lungs and some had even disappeared. However, I also found 2 brain mets which came sometime after August which was the time I started ipi. While they were growing, ipi was taking it's time to work, so they didn't have much of chance – now they might. I'm hoping that these 2 brain mets I had are the only 2 I get for a long time and hope that ipi is doing it's job to keep the micro cells from growing in the brain. Since it's worked in my lungs, I can go on it again.

I'm telling my story so your friend has some advice. Even though his brain mets have been removed and zapped, you always worry about the potential of more growing. It's not 100% that it will grow again, it's just a possibility.  Let's hope this doesn't happen for a long time.

Lisa

Lisa13
          Participant

Hi Alison,

I just had 2 brain mets gamma knifed this past Tuesday, so I do have some experience.

Even though your friend may be NED right now, it's a good thing to go on the ipi and see if it helps keep anymore brain mets from coming.  Even if the ipi helps and he reoccurs again, you can use it again which is great news!  If he's BRAF positive, then I would personally wait to use that until I really needed it.  IPI needs time to work (3 months) so if he has low tumour burden now, it's a great time to use it.

On October 31st I found out I had 50% regression in my lungs and some had even disappeared. However, I also found 2 brain mets which came sometime after August which was the time I started ipi. While they were growing, ipi was taking it's time to work, so they didn't have much of chance – now they might. I'm hoping that these 2 brain mets I had are the only 2 I get for a long time and hope that ipi is doing it's job to keep the micro cells from growing in the brain. Since it's worked in my lungs, I can go on it again.

I'm telling my story so your friend has some advice. Even though his brain mets have been removed and zapped, you always worry about the potential of more growing. It's not 100% that it will grow again, it's just a possibility.  Let's hope this doesn't happen for a long time.

Lisa

Lisa13
            Participant

Hi Alison,

Lisa

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics