The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Post biopsy tape troubles

Forums General Melanoma Community Post biopsy tape troubles

Participant
      I’ve had two biopsies recently, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for dealing with the pain and irritation from the daily dressing changes. I’ve started cutting my band aids so there is not so much adhesive on the ends , but thought I’d check here to see what other ideas you might have. Thanks.
    Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Use a barrier wipe.  There are several brands out there but the one I have used is called "Skin Prep".  They have the barrier wipe and also a removal wipe.  Basically, you wipe the area with the toweltte first, then place the dressing on top.  The barrier aids in keeping the tape in place but also protects the skin.  I suffered for many years before I found this.  This is something wound care nurses know about, but derms don't seem to.  You can usually get this type of product at medical supply stores (or online).

Janner
          Participant

Use a barrier wipe.  There are several brands out there but the one I have used is called "Skin Prep".  They have the barrier wipe and also a removal wipe.  Basically, you wipe the area with the toweltte first, then place the dressing on top.  The barrier aids in keeping the tape in place but also protects the skin.  I suffered for many years before I found this.  This is something wound care nurses know about, but derms don't seem to.  You can usually get this type of product at medical supply stores (or online).

Janner
            Participant

Gene_S
              Participant

The barrier wipes work very well I also used those and found out they do had a skin prep that is alcohol free if your skin is already sensitive.  They work really well.  I used my with a would that I changed the dressing on for months with a wound vac.  I did not have melanoma.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

Gene_S
                Participant

The barrier wipes work very well I also used those and found out they do had a skin prep that is alcohol free if your skin is already sensitive.  They work really well.  I used my with a would that I changed the dressing on for months with a wound vac.  I did not have melanoma.

Gene_S
                  Participant

Lil0909
                    Participant

I am allergic to adhesives, so I put a piece of gauze over the wound and then wrap it with either a small ace bandage or the type of gauze that comes in a roll.  I use paper tape to keep the ace bandage in place, as opposed to those little clips.  I also coat the wound with neosporin, or something like that before applying gauze to promote healing, ward off infection, and keep the gauze from sticking to the stitches.  It's also a good idea to let the wound breathe for a bit and not cover at all, but only when at home and away from germs. 

Lil0909
                      Participant

I am allergic to adhesives, so I put a piece of gauze over the wound and then wrap it with either a small ace bandage or the type of gauze that comes in a roll.  I use paper tape to keep the ace bandage in place, as opposed to those little clips.  I also coat the wound with neosporin, or something like that before applying gauze to promote healing, ward off infection, and keep the gauze from sticking to the stitches.  It's also a good idea to let the wound breathe for a bit and not cover at all, but only when at home and away from germs. 

Lil0909
                        Participant

jennunicorn
                          Participant

I have the same issue with bandaids. I used either gauze with an ace bandage.. which turned out to be kind of bulky. So then I tried coban self adhesive wrap which was perfect since you can make it any length you want. Hopefully those options help, I know if it is on a part of the body you can't wrap up then using the barrier wipes before the bandaid should help. Remember to let it breathe, once it can scab over then you won't have to deal with the bandaid issue. If it is stitched, then you don't have to keep it covered as long, I had a biopsy a couple weeks ago with a stitch and my derm told me not to worry about bandaids if they bother me and just to keep it clean and put vasoline on it. It was on my forehead.. so, not a place that would get super dirty, so I'd take that into account.

jennunicorn
                            Participant

I have the same issue with bandaids. I used either gauze with an ace bandage.. which turned out to be kind of bulky. So then I tried coban self adhesive wrap which was perfect since you can make it any length you want. Hopefully those options help, I know if it is on a part of the body you can't wrap up then using the barrier wipes before the bandaid should help. Remember to let it breathe, once it can scab over then you won't have to deal with the bandaid issue. If it is stitched, then you don't have to keep it covered as long, I had a biopsy a couple weeks ago with a stitch and my derm told me not to worry about bandaids if they bother me and just to keep it clean and put vasoline on it. It was on my forehead.. so, not a place that would get super dirty, so I'd take that into account.

jennunicorn
                              Participant

Linny
                                Participant

I feel your pain. The only way I got around any irritation was by varying the size of the dressing and rotating it after each change to give my skin a break. It's easier with regular bandaids because all you need to do it rotate it. It's a little different with a gauze dressing. It's nice to know there's a protective barrier that can be applied. Not too many people in the business seem to be aware of it.

Linny
                                  Participant

I feel your pain. The only way I got around any irritation was by varying the size of the dressing and rotating it after each change to give my skin a break. It's easier with regular bandaids because all you need to do it rotate it. It's a little different with a gauze dressing. It's nice to know there's a protective barrier that can be applied. Not too many people in the business seem to be aware of it.

Linny
                                    Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics