The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Possible recurrence in Lung

Forums General Melanoma Community Possible recurrence in Lung

Participant
      Hey everyone,

After getting some disappointing news yesterday, I’m reaching out to hear other peoples personal stories and experience with lung biopsies and treatment of lung mets in general.

My first encounter with melanoma occurred in 2013 when i was 28 years old and found an odd looking mole on my right thigh. I had it removed, confirmed to be melanoma and had a subsequent wide excision with clear margins. All was fine until 2018 when I found a lump in my right groin, which was biopsied and confirmed to be stage IIIb melanoma. After an inguinal lymph node dissection with no further evidence of melanoma, I had 12 months of adjuvant immunotherapy (Nivolumab) and life went back to normal, with scans every 3 months.

Yesterday I was told the CT scan showed a 2cm mass on my left lung that my oncologist was very concerned about. Its located right up against my heart in a hard to reach location, so they’re figuring out with thoracic surgeon as to how they will biopsy it.

Potential spread to the lungs makes me extremely nervous. I know we will discuss treatment options with my doctor once we have biopsy results, but I cant help but worry and wonder what the path ahead looks like. I have found so much useful information as well as comfort in these posts, and really would lile to hear your personal experiences and what types of treatment people have undergone in similar circumstances.

Thanks you in advance

Clare

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Ellenb626
        Participant
          Hi Clare,

My melanoma decided to spread to my left lung.  I had a ct scan in June 2021 that showed a nodule there that grew to 1 cm and the oncologist wanted me to go for a ct guided biopsy of my lung to confirm if it was melanoma or lung cancer.  It was melanoma.  I was given a choice Keytruda or lung surgery and I decided Keytruda.  I had enough surgery in my life and the idea of recovering from lung surgery didn’t appeal to me.  Plus the oncologist said if they removed the mass there was a 15 to 20% chance it wouldn’t come back.  I decided on the Keytruda.  to date I have only had one infusion and my side effects are itching and a rash.  Sometimes the itching is really intense.  I called the oncologist and he prescribed a cream and I take benedryl at bedtime.  It makes me sleepy during the day.

Good luck.  If you have to go for a ct guided biopsy the recovery is really easy.  One day of sitting around watching netflix and I was lucky a very small black and blue mark that healed quickly.  i can empathize with you on how nerve wracking it is until they confirm what is is and decide how to treat it.

Ellen

clgardner
          Participant
            Thanks Ellen,

Good luck with the Keytruda. I’ve heard lots of success stories about it and hope yours can be added to that list.

Going in for a bronchoscopy on Wednesday and the. We’ll go from there once we have the results.

glad to hear the biopsy recovery went well and is quick!

clare

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics