The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

positive margin on benign mole- opinion needed (maybe Janner or MichaelFL– or anyone!)

Forums General Melanoma Community positive margin on benign mole- opinion needed (maybe Janner or MichaelFL– or anyone!)

Participant

Hi – sorry this question is so silly.

My history- mm in-situ, family history, over 100 moles, 50+ removed (some mild, some moderate, some severe and some benign)

Had a bunch off recently and one was benign w/ a peripheral margin involved.

Derm underlined that part and wrote "observe"… I'm not one for observing, but I assume in this case, re-excising a benign mole would be extreme overkill?

I'm annoyed because it was totally excised (or so I thought) by a derm who specializes in surgery….

Hi – sorry this question is so silly.

My history- mm in-situ, family history, over 100 moles, 50+ removed (some mild, some moderate, some severe and some benign)

Had a bunch off recently and one was benign w/ a peripheral margin involved.

Derm underlined that part and wrote "observe"… I'm not one for observing, but I assume in this case, re-excising a benign mole would be extreme overkill?

I'm annoyed because it was totally excised (or so I thought) by a derm who specializes in surgery….

Wasn't sure if I should call dr to just check.

Thanks- best wishes to you all!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        teach
        Participant

I have a similary story to yours, and I would never re-excise a benign mole.  Don't even know that it is worth "observing."

teach
          Participant

I have a similary story to yours, and I would never re-excise a benign mole.  Don't even know that it is worth "observing."

MichaelFL
            Participant

Even the best of docs sometimes do not get all of a mole. At least it is benign.

You may wish to just place a call and ask why peripheral margin involved was underlined and "observe" was written since it is benign.

Best wishes,

Michael

MichaelFL
              Participant

Even the best of docs sometimes do not get all of a mole. At least it is benign.

You may wish to just place a call and ask why peripheral margin involved was underlined and "observe" was written since it is benign.

Best wishes,

Michael

Lauri England
                Participant

I had a mole removed about 11 years ago and it was benign.  9 years later it grew back just as big as it was when I had it removed the 1st time.  The 2nd time it was melanoma so I am not so sure about the overkill statement.

Janner
                    Participant

That's what the "observe" is for.  I wouldn't worry about not having clean margins with a benign mole.  However, if the mole grows back in the scar, it is probably best to have the whole thing removed.  Lesions that grow back in scar tissue are much harder to diagnose – the scar tissue makes everything look more atypical (even if it really isn't).  Any time you have pigment regrowth in a scar, it's always best to talk to the derm about it.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                      Participant

That's what the "observe" is for.  I wouldn't worry about not having clean margins with a benign mole.  However, if the mole grows back in the scar, it is probably best to have the whole thing removed.  Lesions that grow back in scar tissue are much harder to diagnose – the scar tissue makes everything look more atypical (even if it really isn't).  Any time you have pigment regrowth in a scar, it's always best to talk to the derm about it.

Best wishes,

Janner

Lauri England
                      Participant

I had a mole removed about 11 years ago and it was benign.  9 years later it grew back just as big as it was when I had it removed the 1st time.  The 2nd time it was melanoma so I am not so sure about the overkill statement.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics