The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Positive Info on Alternative Medicines and Herbals

Forums General Melanoma Community Positive Info on Alternative Medicines and Herbals

Participant

I spent the past few days at the NC Mutual Drug Show and sat in on my husband's CE seminar. The topic was treating vascular disease with compression and the presenter owns the pharmacy this link is for. His store is in Texas and he's the pharmacist there…educated as a pharmacist and "certified in Phytomedicinals (plant-based medicines) and Alternative Medicine by A.N.M.P." He practices an integrative pharmacy and is innovative in that.

I spent the past few days at the NC Mutual Drug Show and sat in on my husband's CE seminar. The topic was treating vascular disease with compression and the presenter owns the pharmacy this link is for. His store is in Texas and he's the pharmacist there…educated as a pharmacist and "certified in Phytomedicinals (plant-based medicines) and Alternative Medicine by A.N.M.P." He practices an integrative pharmacy and is innovative in that.

All that to say that I learned quite a lot just from what he said about what he's seen work in herbals and alternative meds. Being a pharmacist, he also knows what to avoid, how things mix, etc.

His store:   http://fmherbalrx.net/    Flower Mound Herbal  Pharmacy in Flower Mound, Texas. He plans to expand what he offers about this topic in the next few months; right now, not too much is there, BUT, I pass this along because he is qualified to discuss this and invites contact and questions…contact info on website. So many on here have questions about this and are trying things, I want you to be as safe as possible and would suggest contacting Dennis Song at this store.

A couple of things interesting: he did stress talking with your pharmacist about any supplements to check for interactions. Getting people's opinions about these things may not be the best step, you need to know about possible interactions.

Since we have to be concerned about our immune systems, I took note when he said elderberries are really good for boosting it and for lowering blood sugar.

He also gave the 4 supplement brands he sells: Metagetics, Life Extension, Ortho Molecular, and Xymogen.

If you're experiencing vascular problems try: grape seed extract, Butchers Broom, Horse Chestnut Seed Extract, Blueberries, Red Wine, Elderberries, Sweet Clover, Pycnogenol. Discuss low level compression with your dr.

And, a final tip: don't read the front label of bottles, read the back label…that's where you'll find the nutritional content.

I'll be the first to admit, I considered this stuff equal to quackery before hearing him and talking with him after the seminar and learning his credentials. I learned to be more open, but only to what someone, like him, says. I feel he's qualified. He backs up what he does with studies and what he's seen work through the years. I actually invited him to come on here sometime because this is discussed and questioned sometimes.

If folks are going to go this route, I want you to be as safe as possible, there's so much junk out there that preys on our fears. Hope this helps.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

Good information, thanks Carol.  It's always a good idea to check out supplements with you pharma and/or doctor.  If you are lucky you'll find a doctor that is open to the discussion, I used to have one but then I moved. 

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
          Participant

Good information, thanks Carol.  It's always a good idea to check out supplements with you pharma and/or doctor.  If you are lucky you'll find a doctor that is open to the discussion, I used to have one but then I moved. 

Mary

Stage 3

jimjoeb
            Participant

Since my diagnosis and decision to decline interferon treatment, I have been doing a lot of reading about nutrition and cancer. I'm mystified as to why this isn't include in the overall plan for everyone's treatment. There are exceptions, I'm sure, but when I asked about seeing the regional cancer centre dietician to guide me regarding a nutritional program and possible supplements to boost my immune system and my overall health to fight any cancer cells that may still be there and to be as strong as I can should I have a recurrance, I was simply told that I was ineligible. I wasn't Stage IV or undergoing a treatment that was impacting on my ability to take nutrition.

Instead, with the knowledge of my medical team, I have consulted a nutritionist and naturopathic doctor. Together they have me on a program of good basic nutrition and non-quack supplements. I will also be consulting a kineisiologist once I get the all clear post surgery from the medical team.

Has anyone found any nutritional support out there from their cancer care providers?

Charlie S
                Participant

A little used resource that can be a wellspring of information is a division of the National Institutes of Health:  National Center for Complimentary and Alternative Medicine.

Much good information and even has clinical trials and results dealing with many aspects of Complimentary Medicine.

http://nccam.nih.gov/

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                  Participant

A little used resource that can be a wellspring of information is a division of the National Institutes of Health:  National Center for Complimentary and Alternative Medicine.

Much good information and even has clinical trials and results dealing with many aspects of Complimentary Medicine.

http://nccam.nih.gov/

Cheers,

Charlie S

jimjoeb
                  Participant

Since my diagnosis and decision to decline interferon treatment, I have been doing a lot of reading about nutrition and cancer. I'm mystified as to why this isn't include in the overall plan for everyone's treatment. There are exceptions, I'm sure, but when I asked about seeing the regional cancer centre dietician to guide me regarding a nutritional program and possible supplements to boost my immune system and my overall health to fight any cancer cells that may still be there and to be as strong as I can should I have a recurrance, I was simply told that I was ineligible. I wasn't Stage IV or undergoing a treatment that was impacting on my ability to take nutrition.

Instead, with the knowledge of my medical team, I have consulted a nutritionist and naturopathic doctor. Together they have me on a program of good basic nutrition and non-quack supplements. I will also be consulting a kineisiologist once I get the all clear post surgery from the medical team.

Has anyone found any nutritional support out there from their cancer care providers?

Phil S
                    Participant

Carol     I did email Dennis and he is reviewing my husband's supplement list.  I am so glad that someone is out there, who works in this field and is integrative in his approach.  My husband recently started to take leukine injections, as well as many supplements and we have never had anyone review the list to see about interactions.  Thanks for the information.  Valerie (Phil's wife)

Phil S
                      Participant

Carol     I did email Dennis and he is reviewing my husband's supplement list.  I am so glad that someone is out there, who works in this field and is integrative in his approach.  My husband recently started to take leukine injections, as well as many supplements and we have never had anyone review the list to see about interactions.  Thanks for the information.  Valerie (Phil's wife)

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics