The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Port for opdivo???

Forums General Melanoma Community Port for opdivo???

Participant

My doctor has suggested getting a port in my arm for my treatment. I was wondering anyone's thoughts of experience with or without port?? Thanks

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Edwin
        Participant

I do not have a port.  I have received 56 infusions of Opdivo by IV.   Nurses can easlily see my veins.

mandyjill
            Participant

I've been getting Opdivo/Yervoy treatments for almost a year with no port and because I had a CLND under my right arm, I can only use my left arm/hand for treatments.  It really hasn't been a big deal.  And for me it's kind of a mental thing to not have the port.  

ed williams
              Participant

HI Mandyjill, I have had both arms done for CLND back in 2012. I switch back and forth on treatments from left to right arm and after over one hundred picks for ct scans, brain MRI scans blood draws and treatments still no issues with lymphadema.

Johnjk04
              Participant

Having two years of treatment under my belt, I strongly recommend having the port put in. My port was placed on my upper chest. The port will save you from needle pain and also will preserve the vein in your arm. Susan, I wish the absolute best for you with the treatment.

stevek1959x
                Participant

Because of complete lymph node dissection, I limit blood draws and infusions to one arm.  The blood draws are in the elbow area and the infusions are in the hand.  5 Nivo infusions completed and only had one issue with veins (4 attempts).  I try to stay hydrated so my veins are easier to see.  I'm on track for 24 treatments (every two weeks) and see no problems so far.  

marta010
                  Participant

Susan – my husband had a port put in 5+ years ago and continues to use it for lab draws, infustions, etc.  Eliminates a lot of hassle in the lab.

Ann

Bradley75
                    Participant

I fought getting a port for the first 6 months.  I had a CLND of the right axilla so my right arm is off limits for IV and lab draws.  My left arm got poked so many times in those early months.  It got to the point where they struggled to even get blood from my left arm.  The port has been awesome for me.  So much easier and they can fill as many lab tubes as they need.  I am a lab rat for a couple studies so they draw as many as 15 tubes at times.  I strongly recommend a port.  I love mine and wish I would have gotten it right away instead of being stubborn and scared. 

Brad

Raco
                      Participant

I guess it depends on your situation:

I had complete lymph node dissection on my left side so no blood, shots or BP from that are.

All is done on the right every two weeks, 1 for blood draw and the second for my Opdivo infusion.

So far So Good.

I am not a fan of a port as I have two special needs girls who climb all over and I would be afrad that they may pull it out OR it could get infected.

Best thing is to drink lots of water as it helps keep your veins closer to the surface so they can find them better.

This may all change if I get iissues with my infustion.

Good Luck

raco

Susanlee528
                        Participant

I don’t know anything about ports in the arms but I have a port in my upper chest and it is the best thing I’ve ever had! And there’s no way to pull it out because it’s under the skin. They have to pierce the skin each time to go into the port but it is so much easier than finding a vein every time.  I can’t even imagine doing this without one! 

Suebette4467
                          Participant

Thank you everyone!! I am having my first treatment with no port tomorrow. I have port procedure schedule r for Monday. I'll let you know. Thanks a lot everyone.

Johnjk04
                              Participant

Terrific Susan. You will fall in love with your port and be very sad the day it's removed. Wishing you soooooo much success.

MovingOn
                              Participant

My Opdivo infusions are every 4 weeks. I don’t think I would want a port when infusions are this infrequent. But if you are doing infusions every 2 weeks then a port could be nice. If you are not on the 4 week Opdivo cycle consider asking your Oncologist about it.

DZnDef
                                Participant

I had infusions every three weeks with no port for a year and a half with tiny veins.  The nurses all would complain about my tiny veins yet they would always find one with one stick.  Now I am one of those people that doesn't mind getting stuck with a needle all that much.  If it bugged me, I might have gone for a port (or if they had to always stick me multiple times, but they don't).  I got the impression that a port would make things easier for them, but not necessarily for me (other than needle sticks, but I don't mind those that much).

Viewing 9 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics