The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pneumonia. Reassurance?

Forums General Melanoma Community Pneumonia. Reassurance?

Participant

Hi all,

I am 46, stage 3b, NED since July 2014. I see the derm every 3 mos and onc every 4. I'm treated at Loyola in Chicago. My doc is not one to do scans, so I've only ever had one, in preparation for a second opinion at MSKCC.

My health has been great, but lately I've had several easily dismissable symptoms. My node scar area has been aching (hasn't before), but nobody can feel a swelling. Headaches more than usual, but nothing that would cause concern.

I have had a persistent and irritating cough for 3 weeks. Yesterday I kicked up a fever, went to walk-in care, and was diagnosed with walking pneumonia. No chest x-ray.

In my understanding, many of you who have had lung mets have had no symptoms. I definitely have a fever and a gross cough.

I'm seeing my onc tomorrow (regularly scheduled). Should I be asking for a scan, or should I let it ride? I'm am very aware that this is most likely anxiety on my part.

Best to all of you, 

Elaine

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        blessd4x
        Participant

I would be demanding a scan.  Its too agressive and unpredictable to let it ride.  Keep us updated.

xo

blessd4x
          Participant

I would be demanding a scan.  Its too agressive and unpredictable to let it ride.  Keep us updated.

xo

blessd4x
            Participant

xo

gregor913
              Participant
                I think this illness is going around. But I’d still get a scan just to be sure. I was sick for 3 weeks in jan and it’s on its way out now. Remember it’s the sick season. I know at least 4 people sick now. I’m sure it’s just the illness. It’s weird they didn’t do a chest xray on you. Since they did one for me in hospital. Good luck greg
                  gregor913
                  Participant
                    I had fever for 8 days btw and alot of congestion with sore throat. I tested positive for adeno virus.
                    gregor913
                    Participant
                      I had fever for 8 days btw and alot of congestion with sore throat. I tested positive for adeno virus.
                      gregor913
                      Participant
                      gregor913
                      Participant
                        I think this illness is going around. But I’d still get a scan just to be sure. I was sick for 3 weeks in jan and it’s on its way out now. Remember it’s the sick season. I know at least 4 people sick now. I’m sure it’s just the illness. It’s weird they didn’t do a chest xray on you. Since they did one for me in hospital. Good luck greg
                        gregor913
                        Participant
                          5dives
                          Participant

Thanks, Gregor.

The doc-in-a-box said he didn't need an x-ray because he could hear the pneumonia in my lung. I told him I was a stage 3 melanoma patient. He asked me where my lesion was. When I told him it was on my knee, he asked me if I had spent a lot of time in shorts in the sun. 

Lol, doc…that's not how melanoma works, but thanks for your time and the antibiotic.

🙂

Elaine

5dives
                            Participant

Thanks, Gregor.

The doc-in-a-box said he didn't need an x-ray because he could hear the pneumonia in my lung. I told him I was a stage 3 melanoma patient. He asked me where my lesion was. When I told him it was on my knee, he asked me if I had spent a lot of time in shorts in the sun. 

Lol, doc…that's not how melanoma works, but thanks for your time and the antibiotic.

🙂

Elaine

gregor913
                                Participant
                                  Just curious I’m a young guy. What made you 3b. Was it because your node was macro or were you ulcerated. I’m 3b too Greg
                                  gregor913
                                  Participant
                                    Just curious I’m a young guy. What made you 3b. Was it because your node was macro or were you ulcerated. I’m 3b too Greg
                                    5dives
                                    Participant

Greg, 

My mole was a small new mole next to my knee. It was dark, but not really scary, and when I showed it to my derm, he said it looked fine to him. I waited a year (ugh!) and at my next appointment, asked the doc to please take it off. He could not remember me showing it to him the year before. 

I had the WLE / SNLB in July of 2014. My node came back micro positive. They call me T1bN1aM0, or 3B. I had a second opinion at Memorial Sloan Kettering and both of my docs recommended not having the lymph node dissection (both think having the nodes is important for fighting this cancer) or interferon. I'm on a wait / watch protocol, and usually I am fine with that. Sometimes it's hard.

I've talked to both docs about the new meds available for stage 3, and both feel it would be unwise for me (being really healthy) to introduce the risk of side effects, potentially fatal on their own.

What has your case been like, Greg? 

Elaine

5dives
                                      Participant

Greg, 

My mole was a small new mole next to my knee. It was dark, but not really scary, and when I showed it to my derm, he said it looked fine to him. I waited a year (ugh!) and at my next appointment, asked the doc to please take it off. He could not remember me showing it to him the year before. 

I had the WLE / SNLB in July of 2014. My node came back micro positive. They call me T1bN1aM0, or 3B. I had a second opinion at Memorial Sloan Kettering and both of my docs recommended not having the lymph node dissection (both think having the nodes is important for fighting this cancer) or interferon. I'm on a wait / watch protocol, and usually I am fine with that. Sometimes it's hard.

I've talked to both docs about the new meds available for stage 3, and both feel it would be unwise for me (being really healthy) to introduce the risk of side effects, potentially fatal on their own.

Elaine

5dives
                                        Participant

Greg, 

Elaine

gregor913
                                          Participant
                                            Same thing but mine was ulcerated I think the b means your mole was ulcerated because your lymph node was micro. Good to see your ned. I’m also from your area. Greg
                                            gregor913
                                            Participant
                                              Same thing but mine was ulcerated I think the b means your mole was ulcerated because your lymph node was micro. Good to see your ned. I’m also from your area. Greg
                                              gregor913
                                              Participant
                                                Oh BTW I’m taking yervoy 10mg. Treatment going ok so far.
                                                gregor913
                                                Participant
                                                  5dives
                                                  Participant

That's great! 

My lesion was not ulcerated, but my mitotic rate was 2. That's how it became 1b.

Where are you treated? My docs said they would have done Yervoy if I was closer to diagnosis. I'm coming up on two years NED. Celebrating with a big trip.

🙂

5dives
                                                    Participant

That's great! 

My lesion was not ulcerated, but my mitotic rate was 2. That's how it became 1b.

Where are you treated? My docs said they would have done Yervoy if I was closer to diagnosis. I'm coming up on two years NED. Celebrating with a big trip.

🙂

gregor913
                                                      Participant
                                                        Wouldn’t that make you 3a then.
                                                        gregor913
                                                        Participant
                                                          gregor913
                                                          Participant
                                                            5dives
                                                            Participant

Greg, 

I wish! 🙂

I tried to link here to a chart to the TNM staging for melanoma, but the link wouldn't work.

To be fair, the docs have me in the 3B bucket, but frequently remind me how good my prognosis is compared to most 3B cases. That is nice.

Elaine

5dives
                                                              Participant

Greg, 

I wish! 🙂

I tried to link here to a chart to the TNM staging for melanoma, but the link wouldn't work.

To be fair, the docs have me in the 3B bucket, but frequently remind me how good my prognosis is compared to most 3B cases. That is nice.

Elaine

Janner
                                                                Participant

Here is the tnm staging.  I'm missing something, too, because I thought you might also be stage IIIa.  T1bN1aM0 is positive for ulceration while T1aN1aM0 is 1 microscopic node and no ulceration.

The T1b portion is NOT the same as what you see in stage 1 staging and mitosis plays absolutely no role in stage 3.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2007147-overview

Janner
                                                                  Participant

Here is the tnm staging.  I'm missing something, too, because I thought you might also be stage IIIa.  T1bN1aM0 is positive for ulceration while T1aN1aM0 is 1 microscopic node and no ulceration.

The T1b portion is NOT the same as what you see in stage 1 staging and mitosis plays absolutely no role in stage 3.

5dives
                                                                    Participant

Thank you for that info, Janner! Both the Loyola doc and MSKCC doc have called me 3b, but with a "very good prognosis". Maybe I'll push the Loyola doc a little tomorrow to see what he says. 

I had no ulceration, but I have seen it written in my chart as T1bN1aM0. 

Interesting.

5dives
                                                                      Participant

Thank you for that info, Janner! Both the Loyola doc and MSKCC doc have called me 3b, but with a "very good prognosis". Maybe I'll push the Loyola doc a little tomorrow to see what he says. 

Interesting.

5dives
                                                                        Participant

Interesting.

Janner
                                                                          Participant

5dives
                                                                            Participant

Greg, 

I wish! 🙂

Elaine

5dives
                                                                              Participant

That's great! 

🙂

gregor913
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  gregor913
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    gregor913
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      gregor913
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        gregor913
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          gregor913
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                          5dives
                                                                                          Participant

Thanks, Gregor.

🙂

Elaine

WithinMySkin
                                                                                            Participant

They should have done an x-Ray. I've never heard of pneumonia being diagnosed just by listening. Very bad form on the doc's part. At the very minimum, when you follow up with your oncologist, get a chest x-Ray. 

Keep us posted!

WithinMySkin
                                                                                              Participant

They should have done an x-Ray. I've never heard of pneumonia being diagnosed just by listening. Very bad form on the doc's part. At the very minimum, when you follow up with your oncologist, get a chest x-Ray. 

Keep us posted!

5dives
                                                                                                  Participant

I feel pretty confident onc will do an x-ray tomorrow, but it's hard to know for sure.

Fingers crossed.

5dives
                                                                                                    Participant

I feel pretty confident onc will do an x-ray tomorrow, but it's hard to know for sure.

Fingers crossed.

Want2help
                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                        Yes, I think that they should take this seriously. In case there is something going on in your lungs, pneumonia is a likely symptom. It might not be possible to get a clear x-ray until the infection is gone, but it should get better very soon with antibiotics. I had a benign tumour in my lung and it was found because I had pneumonia several times within a short time.
                                                                                                        Want2help
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                          Yes, I think that they should take this seriously. In case there is something going on in your lungs, pneumonia is a likely symptom. It might not be possible to get a clear x-ray until the infection is gone, but it should get better very soon with antibiotics. I had a benign tumour in my lung and it was found because I had pneumonia several times within a short time.
                                                                                                          Want2help
                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                            Want2help
                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                              Just a few questions. How was the pneumonia diagnosed? Are you taking antibiotics and are you already better? My experience is that standard care for pneumonia is a blood test to verify an infection, the doctor listens to the lungs and prescribes a standard antibiotics. If the infection is caused by a common bacteria and the antibiotics work, you usually get better within a day or two, but if you have a less common infection you might need another kind of antibiotics. Unfortunately it is impossible to know immediately since the lab must grow a sample, which takes a couple of weeks. The sample is taken from your nose (very unpleasant) and in case they have not taken any I think that you should ask about it. For a normal patient, there is no x-ray done while the pneumonia is still active, only after the infection is gone since it is difficult to see anything. However, for a melanoma patient an x-ray might be appropriate immediately and your onc must know what to do.
                                                                                                              Want2help
                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                Just a few questions. How was the pneumonia diagnosed? Are you taking antibiotics and are you already better? My experience is that standard care for pneumonia is a blood test to verify an infection, the doctor listens to the lungs and prescribes a standard antibiotics. If the infection is caused by a common bacteria and the antibiotics work, you usually get better within a day or two, but if you have a less common infection you might need another kind of antibiotics. Unfortunately it is impossible to know immediately since the lab must grow a sample, which takes a couple of weeks. The sample is taken from your nose (very unpleasant) and in case they have not taken any I think that you should ask about it. For a normal patient, there is no x-ray done while the pneumonia is still active, only after the infection is gone since it is difficult to see anything. However, for a melanoma patient an x-ray might be appropriate immediately and your onc must know what to do.
                                                                                                                Want2help
                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                  5dives
                                                                                                                  Participant

I went to the local walk-in care because the nagging cough I had been fighting for three weeks took a turn for the worse. I spiked a fever and felt terrible.

Doc listened to my lungs and said he heard a pneumonia. Prescribed me Biaxin. I've taken three doses of the Biaxin, but my fever is still very definitely present.

I asked about the chest x-ray, but didn't press it because I knew I was seeing trusted onc tomorrow.

Fever's been running 102 and the cough is awful. Can't wait to turn a corner.

5dives
                                                                                                                    Participant

I went to the local walk-in care because the nagging cough I had been fighting for three weeks took a turn for the worse. I spiked a fever and felt terrible.

Doc listened to my lungs and said he heard a pneumonia. Prescribed me Biaxin. I've taken three doses of the Biaxin, but my fever is still very definitely present.

I asked about the chest x-ray, but didn't press it because I knew I was seeing trusted onc tomorrow.

5dives
                                                                                                                      Participant

5dives
                                                                                                                        Participant

Fingers crossed.

WithinMySkin
                                                                                                                        Participant

Keep us posted!

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                            Hope you are feeling better. Let us know what your onc says about getting a scan.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                              Hope you are feeling better. Let us know what your onc says about getting a scan.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                                              Participant

Annie

Jubes
                                                                                                                                Participant

Hi. I had a cough that got worse over six months. (No fever though) I went to my dr three times and was prescribed various things. In the end I insisted on a chest X Ray and that's when they found my stage 4 melanoma. June 2014. Keytruda was great for me and shrunk down the tumour. I'm doing great with all stable at the moment. Get the X Ray please 

Anne-Louise 

Jubes
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Hi. I had a cough that got worse over six months. (No fever though) I went to my dr three times and was prescribed various things. In the end I insisted on a chest X Ray and that's when they found my stage 4 melanoma. June 2014. Keytruda was great for me and shrunk down the tumour. I'm doing great with all stable at the moment. Get the X Ray please 

Anne-Louise 

Jubes
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Anne-Louise 

WithinMySkin
                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                        Hi Elaine! Hope you’re starting to feel better! Any update on the pneumonia and chest x-ray? You’re in my thoughts.
                                                                                                                                        WithinMySkin
                                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                                          Hi Elaine! Hope you’re starting to feel better! Any update on the pneumonia and chest x-ray? You’re in my thoughts.
                                                                                                                                          WithinMySkin
                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                            jenny22
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Elaine-

Hope you're feeling better…..If I followed your dates, i think you should have seen your ONC in the last couple of days (tuesday the 9th?) …wanted to see how things went and what he had to say….Hoping for Pneumonia….that sounds almost funny, but you know what i mean!!!!

I was at MSK this week and saw our friend  Dr. Postow ….interesting disucssion on adjuvant treatment for stage 3 folks…..

Will post on that separately….

Let us know how you're doing!

Best,

Jenny

jenny22
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Hi Elaine-

Hope you're feeling better…..If I followed your dates, i think you should have seen your ONC in the last couple of days (tuesday the 9th?) …wanted to see how things went and what he had to say….Hoping for Pneumonia….that sounds almost funny, but you know what i mean!!!!

I was at MSK this week and saw our friend  Dr. Postow ….interesting disucssion on adjuvant treatment for stage 3 folks…..

Best,

Jenny

5dives
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Jenny, 

I saw the onc and it's good news! Definitely unrelated to my melanoma, and actually, not even pneumonia.

He was irritated with my local doc for diagnosing pneumonia without a chest x-ray. He listened to my lungs and felt they were clear. He said he didn't feel I needed an x-ray, but would be glad to do it at this appointment instead of at my next one. I had the x-ray and it was clear, clear, clear! 

Doc says this was most likely a nasty flu and was overall very reassuring. I am finally starting to feel better.

I spoke to Dr. Postow by phone (not in person) about adjuvant treatments. Eager to hear about your conversation. Thanks for checking in! 

Elaine

5dives
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Hi Jenny, 

I saw the onc and it's good news! Definitely unrelated to my melanoma, and actually, not even pneumonia.

He was irritated with my local doc for diagnosing pneumonia without a chest x-ray. He listened to my lungs and felt they were clear. He said he didn't feel I needed an x-ray, but would be glad to do it at this appointment instead of at my next one. I had the x-ray and it was clear, clear, clear! 

Doc says this was most likely a nasty flu and was overall very reassuring. I am finally starting to feel better.

I spoke to Dr. Postow by phone (not in person) about adjuvant treatments. Eager to hear about your conversation. Thanks for checking in! 

Elaine

WithinMySkin
                                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                                        Oh that’s great news! Sorry to hear it’s such a bad flu, but very glad to hear it’s not pneumonia. And glad to hear you’re feeling better!
                                                                                                                                                        WithinMySkin
                                                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                                                          Oh that’s great news! Sorry to hear it’s such a bad flu, but very glad to hear it’s not pneumonia. And glad to hear you’re feeling better!
                                                                                                                                                          WithinMySkin
                                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                                            5dives
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Jenny, 

Elaine

jenny22
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Elaine-

Best,

Jenny

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics