The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pneumonia and Sepsis while on Opdivo

Forums General Melanoma Community Pneumonia and Sepsis while on Opdivo

Participant

Hi all,

My husband is Stage 3B and has been Opdivo for 1.5 years with relatively good luck.  Just fatigue which he combats every 3 days with one 5 mg of prednisone.  He was just went into Septic Shock (talk about scary…) a few nights ago.  They feel the infection is from pneumonia in his right lung, but I did read sepsis is brought on by cancer patients too.  Anyone experience this?  Full recovery?  I am to pick him up from the hospital tonight and worried the antibiotic won't take care of this business…. his Opdivo infusions are put on hold for a few weeks.  Thank you in advance for your responses.

Donna Newman

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Hukill
        Participant

I assume he just got opdivo and not yervoy with it? I started treatment in June 2016 with 5 doses of the combo and then 52 doses of opdivo and I have not been sick at all the whole time. Did not get the flu shot and my wife has had the flu 3 times to include now in which she has been running fever for a week, 2 steriod shots, tamiflu, antibiotics but I don't feel like I am catching it. I have no experience in what your husband is going through with the exception of the fatigue. I had my last opdivo in August and the fatigue is so bad and has been the entire time. I hope they figure out what is going on.

BillB
          Participant

Hi Donna, is your husband doing any better? As to the sepsis and pneumonia I can’t help as so far I have just had normal Keytruda side effects. Good luck,

Bill

Newmanbell
              Participant
                Thank you for your response. I do follow your treatments and profess. HOA really doubts that it was opdivo related since he has been on it for 1.5 years and really no side effects other than fatigue. He is home and very very tired. Being a pain in the you know what to drink down fluids. I had never heard of sepsis but it sure is nasty the more I read up on it.
                BillB
                Participant

Glad it has worked out.

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics