The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pls Recommend Kidney Cancer Forum

Forums General Melanoma Community Pls Recommend Kidney Cancer Forum

Participant

Looking for an active kidney cancer discussion group for recommendation on kidney surgeon for a melanoma long term survivor withe tumore (met?) to kidney that needs to be operated.

Looking for an active kidney cancer discussion group for recommendation on kidney surgeon for a melanoma long term survivor withe tumore (met?) to kidney that needs to be operated.

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jerry from Cape Cod
        Participant

Has it been determined if it is a return of Melanoma or is it Kidney Cancer?  Also important is where are you located?

Jerry from Cape Cod

Hope Returning
            Participant

They don't know if it mm or kidney cancer. We are coming from overseas to wherever we find the best doctor to be…We want a discussion group where we can receive recommendations from patients for laparascopic partial removal of a big tumor in the kidney

Hope Returning
              Participant

They don't know if it mm or kidney cancer. We are coming from overseas to wherever we find the best doctor to be…We want a discussion group where we can receive recommendations from patients for laparascopic partial removal of a big tumor in the kidney

Jerry from Cape Cod
              Participant

Has it been determined if it is a return of Melanoma or is it Kidney Cancer?  Also important is where are you located?

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                Participant

From first hand experience I highly recommed Dr. David McDermott at Beth Isreal Deconess Medical Center (BIDMC) in Boston. He is not a surgeon, but an oncologist with specialty in biological treatments.  His main area of work is with Kidney Cancer and also Melanoma.  He partners with Dr. Michael Atkins who also is a leader in the field.

They practice a team approach with surgical, radiation, etc.  Both are also Harvad Medical
                  School professors.  The doctors at the  major Boston cancer centers. BIDMC, Dana Farber, Mass General, Brigham & Women's all work closely together.

If I were facing the unknown type of cancer on the Kidn'ey with a Melanoma history I'd want all the Big Guns on my side.

Good Luck

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                  Participant

From first hand experience I highly recommed Dr. David McDermott at Beth Isreal Deconess Medical Center (BIDMC) in Boston. He is not a surgeon, but an oncologist with specialty in biological treatments.  His main area of work is with Kidney Cancer and also Melanoma.  He partners with Dr. Michael Atkins who also is a leader in the field.

They practice a team approach with surgical, radiation, etc.  Both are also Harvad Medical
                    School professors.  The doctors at the  major Boston cancer centers. BIDMC, Dana Farber, Mass General, Brigham & Women's all work closely together.

If I were facing the unknown type of cancer on the Kidn'ey with a Melanoma history I'd want all the Big Guns on my side.

Good Luck

Jerry from Cape Cod

TinaR
                    Participant

You can find an active Kidney Cancer discussion group ( e-mail) through Steve Dunn's Cancer page. Steve Dunn was a long term survivor of Stage 4 RCC ( 20+yrs) who started an excellent general cancer information website and informative RCC e-mail group. He passed away recently–but from Meningitis. The group was taken over by a nurse – Robin Martinez and a RCC spouse- Cathy Sherman. They are very compassionate women and  knowledgeable about Kidney cancer and treatments. Here's the linkto the main site…you can find links to RCC specific lists and groups here: http://www.cancerguide.org/

Good luck. Roxanne

TinaR
                      Participant

You can find an active Kidney Cancer discussion group ( e-mail) through Steve Dunn's Cancer page. Steve Dunn was a long term survivor of Stage 4 RCC ( 20+yrs) who started an excellent general cancer information website and informative RCC e-mail group. He passed away recently–but from Meningitis. The group was taken over by a nurse – Robin Martinez and a RCC spouse- Cathy Sherman. They are very compassionate women and  knowledgeable about Kidney cancer and treatments. Here's the linkto the main site…you can find links to RCC specific lists and groups here: http://www.cancerguide.org/

Good luck. Roxanne

Rocco
                        Participant

I'm a melanoma survivor and my husband is a kidney cancer survivor.  We both go to Dana Farber in Boston.  After multiple scans and consult with local doctor in our home state we made decision to go to Boston for his surgery to confirm Kidney cancer and whatever treatment might lie ahead.    Neither of the 2 surgeons consulted would perform larascopic since the size and location of the tumor (lower pole).  Husband had partial nefrectomy which removed 1/2 of a kidney.So large scar…makes for good stories.  Pathology confirmed kidney cancer, but a very specific type of kideny cancer –  not seen often.  Based on that, we moved his scan/watch/wait care literally down the street to Dana Farber – I'd been going there for 4 years and knew at least the system and facility.   His Dr. is Toni Choueiri in their "Lank Center for GEnitourinary Oncology Department".  Surgery was almost 2 years ago, scans clean (as of last week) since then. 

As Jerry mentioned – there are a number of great docs here in Boston with multiple facilities within a stone's throw of each other.

Rocco
                          Participant

I'm a melanoma survivor and my husband is a kidney cancer survivor.  We both go to Dana Farber in Boston.  After multiple scans and consult with local doctor in our home state we made decision to go to Boston for his surgery to confirm Kidney cancer and whatever treatment might lie ahead.    Neither of the 2 surgeons consulted would perform larascopic since the size and location of the tumor (lower pole).  Husband had partial nefrectomy which removed 1/2 of a kidney.So large scar…makes for good stories.  Pathology confirmed kidney cancer, but a very specific type of kideny cancer –  not seen often.  Based on that, we moved his scan/watch/wait care literally down the street to Dana Farber – I'd been going there for 4 years and knew at least the system and facility.   His Dr. is Toni Choueiri in their "Lank Center for GEnitourinary Oncology Department".  Surgery was almost 2 years ago, scans clean (as of last week) since then. 

As Jerry mentioned – there are a number of great docs here in Boston with multiple facilities within a stone's throw of each other.

MartyW
                            Participant

I am facing the same dilemma.  Diagnosed with Stage IIIa melanoma a month or so ago.  PET scan revealed mass on left kidney.  Cancer confirmed on biopsy.  Scheduled for partial nephrectomy on July 29th and will be looking for a cancer center for aftercare of both the melanoma for which all axillary lymph nodes will also be removed on July 29.  Boston would be good for me but will go anywhere.  Otherwise PET scan is clean.

MartyW in New Hampshire

MartyW
                              Participant

I am facing the same dilemma.  Diagnosed with Stage IIIa melanoma a month or so ago.  PET scan revealed mass on left kidney.  Cancer confirmed on biopsy.  Scheduled for partial nephrectomy on July 29th and will be looking for a cancer center for aftercare of both the melanoma for which all axillary lymph nodes will also be removed on July 29.  Boston would be good for me but will go anywhere.  Otherwise PET scan is clean.

MartyW in New Hampshire

Viewing 9 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics