The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

please any good news stories of non reacurrance

Forums General Melanoma Community please any good news stories of non reacurrance

Participant

I was diagnosed  with ulcerated invasive malignant Melanoma on my back in may 2010,it was 1.2mm thick so was staged as a 2b,I had a wide local excision and no trace of melanoma was found in the removed area. I went for check ups every 3 months. In august 2011 whilst attending a routine 3 monthly check my consultant discovered a lump under my left arm. After a biopsy,  I was diagnosed with metastatic malignant melanoma stage 3b. I had a full lymph node dissection in september 2011.I am at current on a clinical trial so am on 6 weekly checks.I am fully aware of the seriousness of this disease but in an effort to reassure myself i do search the internet hoping to discover that melanoma is not always necessarily a death sentence, I have read numerous sites, mostly giving an extremely worrying  and bad prognosis for this type of cancer. I was wondering if any one out there has any good news stories of been years down the line having seen no reacurrance. I am only 42 years old and feel that  i am a sitting duck with a massive uphill battle on my hands,constantly worrying of another reacurrance with a worse prognosis is a living nightmare to me. Please please any positive stories or help would be much appreciated.

Regards Lee (stoke on trent, United Kingdom)

Viewing 35 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Dear Lee,

I fear you are not going to be hearing too many happy bedtime stories regarding melanoma.  Two different oncologists have looked at me very sadly and said, "Melanoma is the diagnosis that gives cancer a bad name."  I was diagnosed with melanoma in 2003 when only 39 years of age. I progressed to stage IV with brain and lung mets in 2009.  I am not telling you this to depress you, rather to encourage you to change your perspective.  Has this been a battle?  Absolutely!  Would I erase melanoma from my life and yours and everybody else on this forum if I could? In a heartbeat!!!  But, I can't.  Some folks live for many, many years with melanoma categorized as Stage III. (Made it a while myself!)  The bottom line is that none of us get out of this world alive!  I work, I play, I love, I dance.  I enjoy my friends and family.  I still do the things I love.  Do I have the scars and pain that show I also deal with melanoma everyday?  In spades.  But, it is still a wonderful life.  And yours can be too.

Wishing you the very best.  Celeste 

Bubbles
          Participant

Dear Lee,

I fear you are not going to be hearing too many happy bedtime stories regarding melanoma.  Two different oncologists have looked at me very sadly and said, "Melanoma is the diagnosis that gives cancer a bad name."  I was diagnosed with melanoma in 2003 when only 39 years of age. I progressed to stage IV with brain and lung mets in 2009.  I am not telling you this to depress you, rather to encourage you to change your perspective.  Has this been a battle?  Absolutely!  Would I erase melanoma from my life and yours and everybody else on this forum if I could? In a heartbeat!!!  But, I can't.  Some folks live for many, many years with melanoma categorized as Stage III. (Made it a while myself!)  The bottom line is that none of us get out of this world alive!  I work, I play, I love, I dance.  I enjoy my friends and family.  I still do the things I love.  Do I have the scars and pain that show I also deal with melanoma everyday?  In spades.  But, it is still a wonderful life.  And yours can be too.

Bubbles
            Participant

Dear Lee,

RMcLegal
              Participant

Hi Lee, I was diagnosed Stage IIIc in 2003, did a biochemotherapy clinical trial, and haven't had a recurrence.  There are LOTS of long term Stage III survivors out there.  Best wishes to you.

Rich

http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com

RMcLegal
                Participant

Hi Lee, I was diagnosed Stage IIIc in 2003, did a biochemotherapy clinical trial, and haven't had a recurrence.  There are LOTS of long term Stage III survivors out there.  Best wishes to you.

Rich

RMcLegal
                  Participant

Rich

Janner
                    Participant

Hi Lee,

There are lots of people out there many years out after their diagnosis with no recurrences.  The thing is, if you were say….5 years out, would YOU still be posting on this BB?  Most people move on after being NED for a suitable time.  If they are not in active treatment, there is less reason to live and breathe melanoma, and more incentive to move on and live life!  There are some veterans that stick around to help, but most move on over time.  So don't be discouraged by your lack of response.  I happen to know many who have left this site but are still alive and kicking and doing well many years out.

Hang in there,

Janner

Janner
                      Participant

Hi Lee,

There are lots of people out there many years out after their diagnosis with no recurrences.  The thing is, if you were say….5 years out, would YOU still be posting on this BB?  Most people move on after being NED for a suitable time.  If they are not in active treatment, there is less reason to live and breathe melanoma, and more incentive to move on and live life!  There are some veterans that stick around to help, but most move on over time.  So don't be discouraged by your lack of response.  I happen to know many who have left this site but are still alive and kicking and doing well many years out.

Hang in there,

Janner

Janner
                        Participant

Hi Lee,

Hang in there,

Janner

fdess056
                          Participant

I can hardly call myself a veteran, Lee, but I am a stage 4 living a normal life while awaiting my next scan results..  I was stage 3C for almost 2 years, after surgery, radiation and Interferon.  I'm a former marathon runner who has gone back to running to keep in shape for whatever lies ahead for me in the melanoma battle.  I work full time including a fair amount of travel.  Every day I try to do what I need to do to keep my body and mind healthy….run, rest, call a friend, spend some time with family.  .Try to enjoy life.  Melanoma sucks and it takes an enormous toll on patient, caregiver and family. But there's still life to be enjoyed. 

FrankD

fdess056
                            Participant

I can hardly call myself a veteran, Lee, but I am a stage 4 living a normal life while awaiting my next scan results..  I was stage 3C for almost 2 years, after surgery, radiation and Interferon.  I'm a former marathon runner who has gone back to running to keep in shape for whatever lies ahead for me in the melanoma battle.  I work full time including a fair amount of travel.  Every day I try to do what I need to do to keep my body and mind healthy….run, rest, call a friend, spend some time with family.  .Try to enjoy life.  Melanoma sucks and it takes an enormous toll on patient, caregiver and family. But there's still life to be enjoyed. 

FrankD

fdess056
                              Participant

FrankD

DebbieH
                                Participant

Hello Lee,

I remember too well all the things my oncologist told me, and the stats I heard from the one I went to for my second opinion as well – not one word of hope from anyone.  Then I found THIS place and saw others who were doing well years after their "bad" news – thank God the Patterson's gave us this site!

I was stage 1A in 1995 and they told me it would never be back – then went to 3C in 2001.  I have been fine since then, over 10 years.  There are plenty on this site who are also at least 10 years out.  DebbieW and StanN and I started out with this at about the same time, with the same stage, did interferon and we're all still healthy and living great lives.  There are many, MANY others who have done bio-chemo and are still fine and others who did no chemical treatments but did the watch and wait routine who are still fine 10 years out. 

I know how hard this is in the early days.  I can tell you that with more time behind the diagnosis you will feel better.  I never think of it returning anymore, I know it can, but I just refuse to let it consume me.  Hang in there, try to stay busy and one day I hope you realize that you haven't thought about "it" for several days.  Then it becomes weeks, etc.  Good luck to you.  I'm glad you found this place.  I don't know what I would have done without it.

DebbieH, stage IIIC, NED 10+ years after interferon

DebbieH
                                  Participant

Hello Lee,

I remember too well all the things my oncologist told me, and the stats I heard from the one I went to for my second opinion as well – not one word of hope from anyone.  Then I found THIS place and saw others who were doing well years after their "bad" news – thank God the Patterson's gave us this site!

I was stage 1A in 1995 and they told me it would never be back – then went to 3C in 2001.  I have been fine since then, over 10 years.  There are plenty on this site who are also at least 10 years out.  DebbieW and StanN and I started out with this at about the same time, with the same stage, did interferon and we're all still healthy and living great lives.  There are many, MANY others who have done bio-chemo and are still fine and others who did no chemical treatments but did the watch and wait routine who are still fine 10 years out. 

I know how hard this is in the early days.  I can tell you that with more time behind the diagnosis you will feel better.  I never think of it returning anymore, I know it can, but I just refuse to let it consume me.  Hang in there, try to stay busy and one day I hope you realize that you haven't thought about "it" for several days.  Then it becomes weeks, etc.  Good luck to you.  I'm glad you found this place.  I don't know what I would have done without it.

DebbieH
                                    Participant

Hello Lee,

NancyGM
                                      Participant

Lee, I, too, was made aware of my extremely poor prognosis when I became satge IV  right after I turned 42. In a few weeks I will be turning 47 and I have spent four wonderful years with no evidence of disease. I wish you the very best of luck for the future and I want to offer you some hope. When I am under a lot of stress, I still get anxiety about my prognosis, but I really never dreamed I would be this lucky.

NancyGM
                                        Participant

Lee, I, too, was made aware of my extremely poor prognosis when I became satge IV  right after I turned 42. In a few weeks I will be turning 47 and I have spent four wonderful years with no evidence of disease. I wish you the very best of luck for the future and I want to offer you some hope. When I am under a lot of stress, I still get anxiety about my prognosis, but I really never dreamed I would be this lucky.

NancyGM
                                          Participant

Cynthia C
                                            Participant

Hi Lee!

3b ~ 10 1/2 years for me!

Best Wishes Always,

Cynthia C

Cynthia C
                                              Participant

Hi Lee!

Best Wishes Always,

Cynthia C

Cynthia C
                                                Participant

Hi Lee!

Best Wishes Always,

Cynthia C

BrianP
                                                  Participant

Lee,

Sorry to hear your melanoma has advanced.  Unfortunately I can't give you a happy success story but I can tell you I'm in the same boat as you and maybe you'll find some comfort in that.  I was stage I in 2006 and recently progressed to stage 3C a couple months ago when I discovered swelling in my armpit.  I'm 43, otherwise healthy with young kids.  I went through the same anxiety you are having.  Stay as positive as you can.  As you know the prognosis can be depressing and the conflicting information about the treatments can be extremely frustrating.  What I've concluded is there may not be a single cure out there but there's a lot of things I can do to little by little increase my odds and I'm doing everyone of them I can.  Conventional treatment (I'm in a clinical trial also), exercise, nutrition, supplements, spiritual, and mental.  This site is a tremendous resource so I encourage you to use it and ask questions.  There are several posters from all over the world but most are from the US so getting a UK perspective would benefit all.  I'll add you to my prayers Lee.  Hopefully you and I will be like some of the others on this board 10 years from now giving someone hope from our success story!

Brian

BrianP
                                                    Participant

Lee,

Sorry to hear your melanoma has advanced.  Unfortunately I can't give you a happy success story but I can tell you I'm in the same boat as you and maybe you'll find some comfort in that.  I was stage I in 2006 and recently progressed to stage 3C a couple months ago when I discovered swelling in my armpit.  I'm 43, otherwise healthy with young kids.  I went through the same anxiety you are having.  Stay as positive as you can.  As you know the prognosis can be depressing and the conflicting information about the treatments can be extremely frustrating.  What I've concluded is there may not be a single cure out there but there's a lot of things I can do to little by little increase my odds and I'm doing everyone of them I can.  Conventional treatment (I'm in a clinical trial also), exercise, nutrition, supplements, spiritual, and mental.  This site is a tremendous resource so I encourage you to use it and ask questions.  There are several posters from all over the world but most are from the US so getting a UK perspective would benefit all.  I'll add you to my prayers Lee.  Hopefully you and I will be like some of the others on this board 10 years from now giving someone hope from our success story!

Brian

BrianP
                                                      Participant

Lee,

Brian

LynnLuc
                                                        Participant

I am stage 4 and have been NED since March 26, 2010. I was never told my stages…it was on my neck as a feckle-had it removed…came back about 4 years or so later in same place as a purple eraser looking blister thing…had it removed again in Nov/Dec 2000 and also 5 sentinal lymph nodes …. all clear…then one day out of the blue in June 2009 there it was ksssing my superior vena cave and cutting of the blood supply to the top of my body. It was 6.8 cent. Had it removed after some radiation and temodar because the creature was growing again…I am in a trial and I am still here. To me thats great news!

LynnLuc
                                                          Participant

I am stage 4 and have been NED since March 26, 2010. I was never told my stages…it was on my neck as a feckle-had it removed…came back about 4 years or so later in same place as a purple eraser looking blister thing…had it removed again in Nov/Dec 2000 and also 5 sentinal lymph nodes …. all clear…then one day out of the blue in June 2009 there it was ksssing my superior vena cave and cutting of the blood supply to the top of my body. It was 6.8 cent. Had it removed after some radiation and temodar because the creature was growing again…I am in a trial and I am still here. To me thats great news!

LynnLuc
                                                            Participant

AlisonC
                                                              Participant

Hi Lee

I used to do exactly the same – went on Google and typed in any variety of "good" "news" "outcomes" "stage IIIB" "melanoma" "survival" etc.

I was 26 when my primary was removed and 35 when I found the lump under my right arm – so stage IIIB also.  I had a complete lymph node removal and also attended a complementary cancer treatment centre focussing on diet and lifestyle changes (including meditation) to improve my chances of being on the right side of the stats.  I had a 4 month immune treament trial that involved an immune stimulant with the NY-ESO-1 protein (which was found on my tumour). 

I just had my 10 year scans 2 weeks ago and am now 10 years NED with stage IIIB.  I am now 45 (about to turn 46) and while the risk is never "gone" for us stage III-ers, it gets less every year you cross off.  I *never* whine about getting older at birthdays that's for sure ๐Ÿ˜‰  I live and work on contract in Asia where I spend a lot of time travelling.  I

There are definitely good news stories of people having great outcomes at IIIB.  I've been on and off this board for 4 or more years and I can tell you there are a LOT of stage III-ers who are out living their lives who don't check in as often (or at all) but they're there. 

For what it's worth, the most valuable thing for me, was cognitive behaviour therapy (counselling) with a specialist cancer counsellor because that helped me deal with the fear you're describing.  It's crushing and it gets worse when treatment stops (because then you really feel like you're "waiting".  it took me quite some time and a skilled counsellor, but I have some good self-help strategies for managing panic and fear and those are literally life saving too I think – because they help my immune system stay good rather than collapsing with all the adrenalin caused by panic….

Hang in there.  You too could be posting good news in 10 years !

AlisonC

Stage IIIB

NED since 2001

AlisonC
                                                                Participant

Hi Lee

I used to do exactly the same – went on Google and typed in any variety of "good" "news" "outcomes" "stage IIIB" "melanoma" "survival" etc.

I was 26 when my primary was removed and 35 when I found the lump under my right arm – so stage IIIB also.  I had a complete lymph node removal and also attended a complementary cancer treatment centre focussing on diet and lifestyle changes (including meditation) to improve my chances of being on the right side of the stats.  I had a 4 month immune treament trial that involved an immune stimulant with the NY-ESO-1 protein (which was found on my tumour). 

I just had my 10 year scans 2 weeks ago and am now 10 years NED with stage IIIB.  I am now 45 (about to turn 46) and while the risk is never "gone" for us stage III-ers, it gets less every year you cross off.  I *never* whine about getting older at birthdays that's for sure ๐Ÿ˜‰  I live and work on contract in Asia where I spend a lot of time travelling.  I

There are definitely good news stories of people having great outcomes at IIIB.  I've been on and off this board for 4 or more years and I can tell you there are a LOT of stage III-ers who are out living their lives who don't check in as often (or at all) but they're there. 

For what it's worth, the most valuable thing for me, was cognitive behaviour therapy (counselling) with a specialist cancer counsellor because that helped me deal with the fear you're describing.  It's crushing and it gets worse when treatment stops (because then you really feel like you're "waiting".  it took me quite some time and a skilled counsellor, but I have some good self-help strategies for managing panic and fear and those are literally life saving too I think – because they help my immune system stay good rather than collapsing with all the adrenalin caused by panic….

AlisonC

Stage IIIB

NED since 2001

AlisonC
                                                                  Participant

Hi Lee

AlisonC

Stage IIIB

NED since 2001

Jydnew
                                                                    Participant

My husband is nearly 10 years out from a stage iiia diagnosis (will be 10 years NED in February) with no recurrances.  He was 26 at the time of his diagnosis, and back then, was given a 50/50 chance of surviving 5 years, though obviously, those are not the statistics currently quoted for stage iiia.  He is coming up on his 36th birthday and even after 10 years, there are many nights that I go to sleep with intense gratefulness that he is here with me and our daughter (soon to be 2 daughters).

Jydnew
                                                                      Participant

My husband is nearly 10 years out from a stage iiia diagnosis (will be 10 years NED in February) with no recurrances.  He was 26 at the time of his diagnosis, and back then, was given a 50/50 chance of surviving 5 years, though obviously, those are not the statistics currently quoted for stage iiia.  He is coming up on his 36th birthday and even after 10 years, there are many nights that I go to sleep with intense gratefulness that he is here with me and our daughter (soon to be 2 daughters).

Jydnew
                                                                        Participant

John T
                                                                          Participant

Hi Lee

Best of luck with this thing. I am British too – but living/workign in Bangkok.

Don't want to tempt fate – but so far so good….

My (not so exciting!) story.

Oct  07 Noticed swollen lymph node in leg.

Feb 08 Removal of one lymph node in right leg. Found to be metastatic melanoma. Stage 3B. Removal of all other lymph nodes in right leg. No other nodes postive. Wide Area Excision of small partially regessed mole under belly button.

April 08 – decided on "Surgery only option", declined use of Interferon (thinking: limited statistical  upside, 1 year of injections, possible fever, tiredness – not a recommendation at all ,  just explaining my persoinal choice)

Nov 2011 – 5 PET scans and lots of blood tests later – no signs of any Melanoma. ie 4 years NED.

Best regards

John

John T
                                                                            Participant

Hi Lee

Feb 08 Removal of one lymph node in right leg. Found to be metastatic melanoma. Stage 3B. Removal of all other lymph nodes in right leg. No other nodes postive. Wide Area Excision of small partially regessed mole under belly button.

April 08 – decided on "Surgery only option", declined use of Interferon (thinking: limited statistical  upside, 1 year of injections, possible fever, tiredness – not a recommendation at all ,  just explaining my persoinal choice)

Nov 2011 – 5 PET scans and lots of blood tests later – no signs of any Melanoma. ie 4 years NED.

Best regards

John

John T
                                                                              Participant

Hi Lee

Best regards

John

Viewing 35 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics