The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Plan of action — doing something always feels better

Forums General Melanoma Community Plan of action — doing something always feels better

Participant

Visited with surgeon today.  For anyone in the expanded Philadelphia area, my surgeon, Giogios Karakousis at Penn, is totally a rock star. Brilliant, great bedside manner, excellent hands as a surgeon. The whole package…

I digress.  We now have a plan of attack:

Next Thursday:  PET-CT to check for mets outside the left posterior neck region

Visited with surgeon today.  For anyone in the expanded Philadelphia area, my surgeon, Giogios Karakousis at Penn, is totally a rock star. Brilliant, great bedside manner, excellent hands as a surgeon. The whole package…

I digress.  We now have a plan of attack:

Next Thursday:  PET-CT to check for mets outside the left posterior neck region

July 18:  Meet with surgeon to plan next steps.  If no mets outside region (or maybe only 1-2 small ones), we remove tumor later that week.  If more growth, we go directly to meeting with ONC and plan for some kind of systemic therapy.

When we found reference to the tumor on the March PET-CT, it was noted as 8mm.  Two days ago, on ultrasound, they estimated 1cm.  This is a bit like comparing apples and oranges, but 25% growth in four months isn't all that fast…

I have a plan, I have hope, and I am making a stronger community of support for myself.  Thanks for reading, writing, and hoping along with me.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        MariaH
        Participant

I can totally agree with your "doing something" attitude.  For a week I researched all possibilities in regards to Dave's matted nodes, and yet when we got the news that it was melanoma, there was no reaction – no tears, no anger, nothing.  We had prepared for it and were in the mind set of "ok, let's go".  I think the doctor was rather shocked, having us take it so well.

Into battle we go – we have a plan, and melanoma doesn't have a chance.

Dynasysman
            Participant
              Amen, Maria. Here’s hoping for strength and good results on your path!
              Dynasysman
              Participant
                Dynasysman
                Participant
                  Dynasysman
                  Participant
                  MariaH
                  Participant

I can totally agree with your "doing something" attitude.  For a week I researched all possibilities in regards to Dave's matted nodes, and yet when we got the news that it was melanoma, there was no reaction – no tears, no anger, nothing.  We had prepared for it and were in the mind set of "ok, let's go".  I think the doctor was rather shocked, having us take it so well.

Into battle we go – we have a plan, and melanoma doesn't have a chance.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics