The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

pituitary inflammation

Forums General Melanoma Community pituitary inflammation

Participant

3 weeks ago – 1 week after my 3rd ipi/nivo dose I got horrible headaches.  MRI showed an inflamed pituiatry.  I was put on 1mg/kg of prednisone for a week and then weaned down to 5mg/day over the course of 2 weeks.  My headache got better but never totaly disappeared.  On the 2nd day of the 5mg (yesterday) the headaches came on stronger again and i was having blurry vision.  Went in for a stat MRI and it showed the pituitary being the same size as it was 3 weeks ago.  I had an IV push of 80mg steroid but I couldn't stay overnight (I'm a single parent) so I came home and took the 1mg/kg again this morning.  THey want me to go to the ER for a drip but I can't leave my kid so I will go into the ER for the drip in the monring.  The headach is greatly reduced but is still there.  My question for anyone is should the steroid be eliminating my headhache entirely after starting the predinisone or is it normal to take a dary or two or more for the headache to subside.  I feel much beter and my eyesight is normal now so I don't think going to an ER tonight necessary.  Not sure what happened to my pituitary…maybe they tried to wean me too fast.

anyone else have any input or experience???

thanks

Karen

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        MoiraM
        Participant

I was treated with 3mg/kg Ipi. Four infusions at 3 weeks intervals during summer 2015. No maintenance doses.

I had an inflamed pituitary as a side effect of being on the Ipi. Although I had headaches, I did not realise their significance, so the first indication that my team had that I was in trouble was me barely being able to walk!

I never went onto the high dose prednisolone. I was put on 10 mg/day and felt fine within 15 minutes of taking the first dose. However, this was probably because the damage had been done and I was suffeing from lack of cortisol in my system rather that the actual inflamation of my pituitary, which had subsided.

I had the MRI weeks later, which confirmed damage to my anterior pitiuitary. In my case the damage is almost certainly permanent.  I have now have no anterior pituitary activity.

That was a year ago. During that year, I had one episode (about three weeks) where the ipi side effects started again and I was briefly on 15 mg/day prednisolone.

I have never coped on less than 7.5 mg prednisolone/day. In the end, my endocrinologist has accepted that I am deeply miserable (barely able to function) on less than 8 mg/day, which is what I am taking. I know they think I am taking too much but they have accepted that I could be an outlier.

I am speculating, but it is possible that you have had one or all of three issues going on, (1) you may not get on with prednisiolone, (2) you may be suffering from the withdrawal of the high dose prednisolone and (3) in my experience '5mg/day prednisolone is one-size-suits-all' for cortisol replacement is just not true.

Have you seen an endrocrinologist yet?

MoiraM
          Participant

I was treated with 3mg/kg Ipi. Four infusions at 3 weeks intervals during summer 2015. No maintenance doses.

I had an inflamed pituitary as a side effect of being on the Ipi. Although I had headaches, I did not realise their significance, so the first indication that my team had that I was in trouble was me barely being able to walk!

I never went onto the high dose prednisolone. I was put on 10 mg/day and felt fine within 15 minutes of taking the first dose. However, this was probably because the damage had been done and I was suffeing from lack of cortisol in my system rather that the actual inflamation of my pituitary, which had subsided.

I had the MRI weeks later, which confirmed damage to my anterior pitiuitary. In my case the damage is almost certainly permanent.  I have now have no anterior pituitary activity.

That was a year ago. During that year, I had one episode (about three weeks) where the ipi side effects started again and I was briefly on 15 mg/day prednisolone.

I have never coped on less than 7.5 mg prednisolone/day. In the end, my endocrinologist has accepted that I am deeply miserable (barely able to function) on less than 8 mg/day, which is what I am taking. I know they think I am taking too much but they have accepted that I could be an outlier.

I am speculating, but it is possible that you have had one or all of three issues going on, (1) you may not get on with prednisiolone, (2) you may be suffering from the withdrawal of the high dose prednisolone and (3) in my experience '5mg/day prednisolone is one-size-suits-all' for cortisol replacement is just not true.

MoiraM
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics