The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pigment synthesizing melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Pigment synthesizing melanoma

Participant

Looking for someone that might have experience with this. My daughters case is very rare, as she was born with this rare type of melanoma. We think it was growing as she was growing,  as she has it in many places. Liver, lungs, bone, scalp. She has started opdivo and just turned 6 months old. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you!

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

Can you tell us what type of rare melanoma it ? ie mucosal or whatever

How it was discovered?  and if you give us your information or fill in the profile page it might help us to help you.

Gene_S
          Participant

How it was discovered?  and if you give us your information or fill in the profile page it might help us to help you.

Gene_S
            Participant

Coneflowers
                Participant

It is called pigment sythesizing melanoma. Some people call it animal type melanoma. She was born with a skin lesion, that was blue.

Coneflowers
                  Participant

It is called pigment sythesizing melanoma. Some people call it animal type melanoma. She was born with a skin lesion, that was blue.

Coneflowers
                    Participant

kylez
                    Participant

You might want to also ask over at the MIF forum (http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/). The moderator/patient advocate there is very knowledgeable and plugged in.

kylez
                      Participant

You might want to also ask over at the MIF forum (http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/). The moderator/patient advocate there is very knowledgeable and plugged in.

kylez
                        Participant

stars
                          Participant

I don't know anything about this rare form of melanoma, but just wanted to say how sorry I am that you poor little mite is already fighting this disease. Kids physiology is so different to adults, even information about adult cases might not be so relevant to a newborn. I wish you strength and hope that you are al coping ok.

Coneflowers
                              Participant

Her doctors are not really sure what will happen. I can only find 2 other reported cases of this. Then of course it does not say much! Ugh! Her doctor also read it…I think she must have been able to see more. She said the one baby did chemotherapy,  but the report was from 2002 I think. My baby has started opdivo, we will do a couple more rounds then see if it has helped. I never ever in a million years would had thought something like this could happen. When I tell people she has melanoma they look at me like I have 2 heads. Then they say like melanoma from the sun. Well yes and no! Thank you for your kind words!

Coneflowers
                                Participant

Her doctors are not really sure what will happen. I can only find 2 other reported cases of this. Then of course it does not say much! Ugh! Her doctor also read it…I think she must have been able to see more. She said the one baby did chemotherapy,  but the report was from 2002 I think. My baby has started opdivo, we will do a couple more rounds then see if it has helped. I never ever in a million years would had thought something like this could happen. When I tell people she has melanoma they look at me like I have 2 heads. Then they say like melanoma from the sun. Well yes and no! Thank you for your kind words!

Coneflowers
                                  Participant

stars
                                  Participant

I don't know anything about this rare form of melanoma, but just wanted to say how sorry I am that you poor little mite is already fighting this disease. Kids physiology is so different to adults, even information about adult cases might not be so relevant to a newborn. I wish you strength and hope that you are al coping ok.

stars
                                    Participant

tbmorgan
                                      Participant

Hello,

My son was born August 2013 with a moderate size primary melanoma on the back of his brain.  I am not sure if his type of melanoma is the same as your daughter, but I have experience with having a child with congenital stage 4 melanoma as his disease spread to the skin within first months of life.  You may have received some communication from me by email thru Brenda at MRF, but I will include a few things.

I highly recommend you reach out to Dr Cynthia Hertzog at MD Anderson and Dr Melinda Merchant at the NIH in Bethesda.  Both Dr's are working on Pediatric Melanoma and both Dr's have knowledge of any/all trials available for children.

I also recommend you have the NIH do a full genetic survey of any biopsed tumor.  My son TJ is on Everolimus because they found some mutations in his TSC1 and TSC2 genes that may be interfering with a genetic pathway allowing his cancer to grow, i think it is called the mTOR pathway.  My son did not test postive for any other cancer mutations except for those 2 anomolies.

My son is 2 now and labeled stable but he is not cured.  He has had 19 hours of brain surgery to remove the primary lesion and so far MRI's show no significant progression in his brain or on his skin. He has 50 + skin lesions, all very small, and we fully expect him to be on immunotherapy at some point in the future, so I would really appreciate any info you learn from your experience with Opdivo.

Just know that my wife and I are praying for your family and we understand what you are going through.

Tobin

tbmorgan
                                        Participant

Hello,

My son was born August 2013 with a moderate size primary melanoma on the back of his brain.  I am not sure if his type of melanoma is the same as your daughter, but I have experience with having a child with congenital stage 4 melanoma as his disease spread to the skin within first months of life.  You may have received some communication from me by email thru Brenda at MRF, but I will include a few things.

I highly recommend you reach out to Dr Cynthia Hertzog at MD Anderson and Dr Melinda Merchant at the NIH in Bethesda.  Both Dr's are working on Pediatric Melanoma and both Dr's have knowledge of any/all trials available for children.

I also recommend you have the NIH do a full genetic survey of any biopsed tumor.  My son TJ is on Everolimus because they found some mutations in his TSC1 and TSC2 genes that may be interfering with a genetic pathway allowing his cancer to grow, i think it is called the mTOR pathway.  My son did not test postive for any other cancer mutations except for those 2 anomolies.

My son is 2 now and labeled stable but he is not cured.  He has had 19 hours of brain surgery to remove the primary lesion and so far MRI's show no significant progression in his brain or on his skin. He has 50 + skin lesions, all very small, and we fully expect him to be on immunotherapy at some point in the future, so I would really appreciate any info you learn from your experience with Opdivo.

Just know that my wife and I are praying for your family and we understand what you are going through.

Tobin

Coneflowers
                                            Participant

Hi,

Thank you so much for commenting!  I did not get your contact info, but have really been hoping to talk to you. I will send Brenda a message! 

We are at U of M and I at one point did talk with Melinda Merchant on the phone and so did her doctors. 

U of M is doing the full genetic sequencing. They did it once already, but are doing it again because it did not all turn out?? Not really sure…

We also had St. Jude review her case. I have been told over and over again how rare this is. I am sure you have too! 

I do not know if you can private message on here or not. If so you can send me a message. I just signed up on here and do not really know the site that well.

I look forward to talking more with you! 

Thanks! 

Amanda

Coneflowers
                                              Participant

Hi,

Thank you so much for commenting!  I did not get your contact info, but have really been hoping to talk to you. I will send Brenda a message! 

We are at U of M and I at one point did talk with Melinda Merchant on the phone and so did her doctors. 

U of M is doing the full genetic sequencing. They did it once already, but are doing it again because it did not all turn out?? Not really sure…

We also had St. Jude review her case. I have been told over and over again how rare this is. I am sure you have too! 

I do not know if you can private message on here or not. If so you can send me a message. I just signed up on here and do not really know the site that well.

Thanks! 

Amanda

tbmorgan
                                                Participant

Amanda,  tried to use the site to send u a private message but do no think it worked.

emails

tobin [email protected]

amanda.  [email protected]

my wife Amanda, crazy coincidence, said she would love to hear from you

tbmorgan
                                                  Participant

Amanda,  tried to use the site to send u a private message but do no think it worked.

emails

tobin [email protected]

tbmorgan
                                                    Participant

emails

tobin [email protected]

Coneflowers
                                                      Participant

Hi,

Thanks! 

Amanda

tbmorgan
                                                      Participant

Hello,

Tobin

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics