The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PICC Line

Forums General Melanoma Community PICC Line

Participant
      Hi,
      Has anyone else had a PICC line? What was it like? Would you recommend it?
      So far I’ve had 8 infusions of Nivolumab with 18 more to go. It’s only possible for the cannulas to go in my left hand as I had lymph nodes removed from the right side. I have low blood pressure normally and the nurses often have 2 or 3 goes to find a vein. I’ve had blown veins, blood pressure dropping with the grey vision and cold sweats that all accompany it. I’ve never had a fear of needles before and am fine with blood draws but am beginning to get anxious before every treatment now as getting access seems such a problem. Could a PICC line be the answer? My main reservation is that I work with some unpredictable children at times and fear that they may unintentionally pull it or move it.
      Any info welcome.
      Thanks
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant
          HI Zelda,

I had a PICC line in when I had HD interferon. One week of daily infusions was about all my right arm would take. I looked like a junkie that didn’t care anymore because of all the sticks. In many ways, I didn’t. But the PiCC was an arm saver. Since then, I’ve had a port put in. It’s more permanent and will last considerably longer than a PICC. You may want to look into that rather than a PICC.

Getting the port was easy, minor surgery and it’s in. I was able to use it the same day it was put in. I can also use it for blood draws and scans. I don’t have to worry about it getting wet, or having small unpredictable children pull it out (though some are a bit fascinated by the extra bump). Talk with your doc.

Shalom,
          Julie.

BrianP
          Participant
            I’ve had both a PICC line and a port. Of the two I would recommend the port but with only 18 more to go some might consider that excessive. I only had my PICC for about a month. I had a asshole of a doctor insert mine so I didn’t have the best experience but under other circumstances it shouldn’t be bad. The removal is super easy. You should be able to get something like a stretchy compression sleeve to pull over the PICC line that could protect it from getting inadvertent tugs from unpredictable children.
            Johnjk04
            Participant
              Zelda I was in the same predicament as you in 2012. No lymph nodes on one arm and entering the ippi / nivo trial. The port was placed in my upper chest and I was so pleased to have it in for two years.
          Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics