The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Phase I Trials- Costs of Usual Care and Health Insurance Payment

Forums General Melanoma Community Phase I Trials- Costs of Usual Care and Health Insurance Payment

Participant
      Hi gang. I am now doing battle with my HMO, trying to get them to cover the cost of tests required by this Pase I trial I am trying to qualify for. The study sponsors want the health insurers to pay for tests they consider usual care for melanoma patients. My insurer is telling me they don’t cooperate/participate in Phase I trials. Any of you had any experience getting a health insurance company to pay for lab work, imaging studies, etc for a Phase I trial? I am appealing their decision but I would love to know if other HMOs and PPOs are covering this stuff.

Hi gang. I am now doing battle with my HMO, trying to get them to cover the cost of tests required by this Pase I trial I am trying to qualify for. The study sponsors want the health insurers to pay for tests they consider usual care for melanoma patients. My insurer is telling me they don’t cooperate/participate in Phase I trials. Any of you had any experience getting a health insurance company to pay for lab work, imaging studies, etc for a Phase I trial? I am appealing their decision but I would love to know if other HMOs and PPOs are covering this stuff. BTW, I am covered by Northern Ca Kaiser.

Thanks!

Eileen L

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

Eileen,

What trial are you trying to get into?Who is the sponsor?

You should ask your study nurse, but it is my understanding that if your insurance denies to pick up cost  of scans, labs, etc then the sponsor usually will pick up cost once you are denied by your insurance company.

AnnMarie

killmel
          Participant

Eileen,

You should ask your study nurse, but it is my understanding that if your insurance denies to pick up cost  of scans, labs, etc then the sponsor usually will pick up cost once you are denied by your insurance company.

AnnMarie

Eileen L
              Participant
                Thx for the suggestion. I am trying to contact the trial coordinator and will see if they are willing to pick up the costs.

Eileen L

Eileen L
                Participant
                  Thx for the suggestion. I am trying to contact the trial coordinator and will see if they are willing to pick up the costs.

Eileen L

Eileen L
                  Participant

Eileen L

killmel
                  Participant

Eileen,

AnnMarie

Harry in Fair Oaks
                    Participant

Are you on Social Security Disability and do you have Medicare?  (They go together, but as I remember, there is a waiting period to get Medicare.)  I'm also with No. CA Kaiser and I'm in a BRAF/MEK trial sponsored by Glaxo SmithKline.  As part of the trial, I get scanned every 8 weeks.  My Kaiser oncologist at first gasped at this frequent scanning and wondered if Kaiser will pay for it, but then realized I had Medicare.  Kaiser apparently bills Medicare for my scans, so I have no difficulty in getting them.

Best wishes,

Harry

Eileen L
                        Participant
                          Hi Harry. I was told by my Kaiserboncologist that because the trial I am trying to get into is a Phase I trial Kaiser wouldn’t cooperate. I am on Medicare, do they bill Medicare directly even if you are on a Senior Advantage plan?

Is the trial you are on a Phase I or Phase II? Which Kaiser do you go to? I am appealing my oncologist’s decision to not support my participation in the trial so I am curious to know if Kaiser is paying for your scans for a Phase I trial!

Thx,
                          Eileen L

Harry in Fair Oaks
                          Participant

Good question regarding the phase.  Here's the description from the consent document:  "An Open-Label, Dose-Escalation, Phase I/II Study to Investigate the Safety, Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics and Clinical Activity of the BRAF Inhibitor GSK2118436 in Combination with the MEK Inhibitor GSK1120212 in Subjects with BRAF Mutant Metastatic Melanoma."  So a combination of Phase I and II, with some elements of the date used for a Phase I and some for Phase II?  I don't recall the issue of the phase of the trial being a factor in any of my conversations with Kaiser people.  

I go to Kaiser Roseville (near Sacramento).  I have no idea how Kaiser handles the financials vis a vis Medicare.  I'm not quite a senior citizen yet (58), so I don't think I have Senior Advantage.  I qualified for Medicare through SS Disability.

Good luck,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                            Participant

Good question regarding the phase.  Here's the description from the consent document:  "An Open-Label, Dose-Escalation, Phase I/II Study to Investigate the Safety, Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics and Clinical Activity of the BRAF Inhibitor GSK2118436 in Combination with the MEK Inhibitor GSK1120212 in Subjects with BRAF Mutant Metastatic Melanoma."  So a combination of Phase I and II, with some elements of the date used for a Phase I and some for Phase II?  I don't recall the issue of the phase of the trial being a factor in any of my conversations with Kaiser people.  

I go to Kaiser Roseville (near Sacramento).  I have no idea how Kaiser handles the financials vis a vis Medicare.  I'm not quite a senior citizen yet (58), so I don't think I have Senior Advantage.  I qualified for Medicare through SS Disability.

Good luck,

Harry

Eileen L
                              Participant
                                Thx Harry. I wonder if your oncologist put the study through the internal review process or just referred you to the study institution. Perhaps because it was a hybrid of two phases you didn’t have the same issue since part of the goal was to measure clinical activity!

Hope you are having good results!

Eileen L

Eileen L
                                Participant
                                  Thx Harry. I wonder if your oncologist put the study through the internal review process or just referred you to the study institution. Perhaps because it was a hybrid of two phases you didn’t have the same issue since part of the goal was to measure clinical activity!

Eileen L

Eileen L
                                  Participant

Eileen L

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                    Participant

Good luck,

Harry

Eileen L
                                      Participant
                                        Hi Harry. I was told by my Kaiserboncologist that because the trial I am trying to get into is a Phase I trial Kaiser wouldn’t cooperate. I am on Medicare, do they bill Medicare directly even if you are on a Senior Advantage plan?

Is the trial you are on a Phase I or Phase II? Which Kaiser do you go to? I am appealing my oncologist’s decision to not support my participation in the trial so I am curious to know if Kaiser is paying for your scans for a Phase I trial!

Thx,
                                        Eileen L

Eileen L
                                        Participant

Thx,
                                          Eileen L

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                        Participant

Are you on Social Security Disability and do you have Medicare?  (They go together, but as I remember, there is a waiting period to get Medicare.)  I'm also with No. CA Kaiser and I'm in a BRAF/MEK trial sponsored by Glaxo SmithKline.  As part of the trial, I get scanned every 8 weeks.  My Kaiser oncologist at first gasped at this frequent scanning and wondered if Kaiser will pay for it, but then realized I had Medicare.  Kaiser apparently bills Medicare for my scans, so I have no difficulty in getting them.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                          Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics