The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Phase 1 trial thing might want to know

Forums General Melanoma Community Phase 1 trial thing might want to know

Participant

Just thought someone would like to know what I've learned about phase 1 trials. Basically they are very hard to get into. If I understand right from the several places I've talked to they seem to work the same. Basically they start with usually 3 open slots. If this trial is shared among multiple sites then the slots are shared too. When the last of those slots are filled the clock starts. In about 8 weeks they examine those folks and determine if the trial can continue and what they need to do like raise the dose or whatever. Then 3 more slots open and the process repeats. Sooo very narrow window of getting an open slot. A huge amount of time waiting. Lots of people wanting too few slots. Then we have to deal with some of the results reported might not be that stellar. Like the mga271 med had pretty much no response so they are testing now for the b7-h3 and hoping it will work.

Fortunately I've heard twice this week from NIH in Bethesda so I'm hoping that continues good and it will happen. It sounds like it will. The last numbers I saw had a 50% response rate and 12% cure. Which is incredible but who knows. But I've been on the wrong side of the 85% braf stuff sooo I'm hoping and praying if it happens this will work for me. Fortunately I'm still feeling ok and walking ok. I'm looking forward to it despite what some folks think about it. Dunno yet if it will happen but I'm hopeful. They did say the last step will be il-2 so I would rather do it this way than by itself.

Anyway enough rambling. Just thought I would share about the phase 1 stuff.

Artie

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

Thanks Artie.  I was not aware of the Phase I process, so thanks for the info.  A related point that I read on a patient blog recently–you must be a patient of an institution in order to be considered for a trial at that institution.  (In order to be a patient, you need only have had one appt.)  Good luck with the NIH.

Mat
          Participant

Thanks Artie.  I was not aware of the Phase I process, so thanks for the info.  A related point that I read on a patient blog recently–you must be a patient of an institution in order to be considered for a trial at that institution.  (In order to be a patient, you need only have had one appt.)  Good luck with the NIH.

arthurjedi007
              Participant

Thanks Mat. Yeah I went to university of Chicago for that one appt. I'm really hoping NIH works for me. Saw it on that pbs show.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                Participant

Thanks Mat. Yeah I went to university of Chicago for that one appt. I'm really hoping NIH works for me. Saw it on that pbs show.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Artie

Mat
                  Participant

kylez
                    Participant

Hi Artie,

I'm in one of the Bristol Myers Squibb phase I trials, Nivolumab + Lirilumab. I should get my 32nd biweekly dose next week. I know UChicago, where you went up to, is one of BMS's 5 special phase I trial sites. 

To add to your experiences, I was able to get into my phase I trial during the second "dose expansion" cohort that had 16 slots for melanoma (and additional 16 slots per 5 additional cancer types). All 96 of those slots opened at the same time. Whereas the prior, first "dose escalation" cohort was much smaller and I believe followed the same slow narrow on-boarding schedule you describe.

The bigger dose expansion cohorts didn't open up until the "maximum tolerable dose" / MTD was determined by earlier dose escalation cohorts. For a different phase I trial that I didn't get into, I spent a month waiting for it to get through the dose escalation phase. But that kept getting delayed each time someone had an adverse effect that needed to be examined. So I finally jumped at the first PD-1 trial that had an opening for me, which was this one in when I hit the "dose expansion" cohort timing just right.

Wishing you continued movement towards NIH and success, and with any other trial you're still looking into.

– Kyle

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

Thanks Kyle. That makes more sense that at some point they expand to a much larger number of open slots. Yeah I'm looking forward to NIH.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                          Participant

Thanks Kyle. That makes more sense that at some point they expand to a much larger number of open slots. Yeah I'm looking forward to NIH.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                            Participant

Artie

BrianP
                              Participant

Kyle,

Hate to create thread creap but was curious if you have any idea how your trial is going for the melanoma arm as far as side effects and effectiveness.

Brian

kylez
                                Participant

Brian, all I know are the ongoing results for me, which continues to be stable disease on the CT, and tolerating the treatment well. Every couple of months when I see the trial doctor, I usually ask, but he hasn't had anything to pass on. I imagine there won't be any phase I results before 2016 or later. I'll see my doctor again the week after ASCO. I'll be interested what if anything he'll have to say about everything going on there.

kylez
                                  Participant

Brian, all I know are the ongoing results for me, which continues to be stable disease on the CT, and tolerating the treatment well. Every couple of months when I see the trial doctor, I usually ask, but he hasn't had anything to pass on. I imagine there won't be any phase I results before 2016 or later. I'll see my doctor again the week after ASCO. I'll be interested what if anything he'll have to say about everything going on there.

kylez
                                    Participant

BrianP
                                      Participant

Kyle,

Hate to create thread creap but was curious if you have any idea how your trial is going for the melanoma arm as far as side effects and effectiveness.

Brian

BrianP
                                        Participant

Kyle,

Brian

kylez
                                        Participant

Hi Artie,

I'm in one of the Bristol Myers Squibb phase I trials, Nivolumab + Lirilumab. I should get my 32nd biweekly dose next week. I know UChicago, where you went up to, is one of BMS's 5 special phase I trial sites. 

To add to your experiences, I was able to get into my phase I trial during the second "dose expansion" cohort that had 16 slots for melanoma (and additional 16 slots per 5 additional cancer types). All 96 of those slots opened at the same time. Whereas the prior, first "dose escalation" cohort was much smaller and I believe followed the same slow narrow on-boarding schedule you describe.

The bigger dose expansion cohorts didn't open up until the "maximum tolerable dose" / MTD was determined by earlier dose escalation cohorts. For a different phase I trial that I didn't get into, I spent a month waiting for it to get through the dose escalation phase. But that kept getting delayed each time someone had an adverse effect that needed to be examined. So I finally jumped at the first PD-1 trial that had an opening for me, which was this one in when I hit the "dose expansion" cohort timing just right.

Wishing you continued movement towards NIH and success, and with any other trial you're still looking into.

– Kyle

kylez
                                          Participant

Hi Artie,

– Kyle

Bubbles
                                            Participant

You are right, Artie.  Another thing to remember about Phase 1 trials…is that "technically" they are only done to determine dose.  Meaning:  How much of the treatment does it take to get an effect? And, how much of the treatment causes side effects in the patient?  Kyle is right about trial expansion.  In my Phase 1 Nivo (Opdivo) with peptide vaccine trial…we started with two arms…NED and non resected.  10 patients were admitted at each of the three dose levels, therefore 30 patients to each arm.  However, since then…expansion has been incredible….to include patients who were not given the vaccine (since it didn't help!!) and therefore cut down on admission limiting requirements of a particular HLA typing, to include patients who had had dose limiting side effects from prior ipi, to include Stage III NED patients as well as Stage IV….and on and on…all under the same "trial".  On the good side…in Phase 1 trials, for better or worse, every patient gets the medicine.  There is no placebo or administration of a recognized to be "less effective" med.  It is all pretty crazy.  Glad things are looking positive on your plans, Artie.  Good luck to you all.  Celeste 

Bubbles
                                              Participant

You are right, Artie.  Another thing to remember about Phase 1 trials…is that "technically" they are only done to determine dose.  Meaning:  How much of the treatment does it take to get an effect? And, how much of the treatment causes side effects in the patient?  Kyle is right about trial expansion.  In my Phase 1 Nivo (Opdivo) with peptide vaccine trial…we started with two arms…NED and non resected.  10 patients were admitted at each of the three dose levels, therefore 30 patients to each arm.  However, since then…expansion has been incredible….to include patients who were not given the vaccine (since it didn't help!!) and therefore cut down on admission limiting requirements of a particular HLA typing, to include patients who had had dose limiting side effects from prior ipi, to include Stage III NED patients as well as Stage IV….and on and on…all under the same "trial".  On the good side…in Phase 1 trials, for better or worse, every patient gets the medicine.  There is no placebo or administration of a recognized to be "less effective" med.  It is all pretty crazy.  Glad things are looking positive on your plans, Artie.  Good luck to you all.  Celeste 

arthurjedi007
                                                  Participant

Interesting. Thanks Celeste.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                    Participant

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                      Participant

Artie

Bubbles
                                                      Participant

BrianP
                                                        Participant

Thanks for starting this thread Artie.  Good info posted by all.  Good luck with NIH.  I hope it works out for you.

Brian

BrianP
                                                          Participant

Thanks for starting this thread Artie.  Good info posted by all.  Good luck with NIH.  I hope it works out for you.

Brian

arthurjedi007
                                                              Participant

Thanks Brian. Maybe if NIH happens but I need more a good phase 1 trial will have a slot for me by then. At least that's my plan. We shall see.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                Participant

Thanks Brian. Maybe if NIH happens but I need more a good phase 1 trial will have a slot for me by then. At least that's my plan. We shall see.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                  Participant

Artie

eturner82
                                                                    Participant

Hi Artie,

My husband just got the news this week that he has failed PD-1 (also failed IPI. IL2, Braf combo) in thepast 1 1/2 years…. He has many bone mets and lung mets as well. We have also heard from NIH this week. Looks like we are on the same page. I hope things work in your favor.

Emily

eturner82
                                                                      Participant

Hi Artie,

My husband just got the news this week that he has failed PD-1 (also failed IPI. IL2, Braf combo) in thepast 1 1/2 years…. He has many bone mets and lung mets as well. We have also heard from NIH this week. Looks like we are on the same page. I hope things work in your favor.

Emily

eturner82
                                                                        Participant

Hi Artie,

Emily

Mat
                                                                          Participant

Emily, I'm sorry to hear your news.  If not too intrusive, can you say at what point your husband's onc determined that he failed PD-1?  How many weeks into treatment and/or infusions?  Did he see a benefit initially and then stop responding?  We have a "friend" on MIF who has asked similar questions and your experience may benefit her.

eturner82
                                                                            Participant

Hi Matt 

Sorry to get back to you after so many days… huddy was in hospital.

After 2 scans both showing new growth the doctor decided PD-1 was not working.

Emily

eturner82
                                                                              Participant

Hi Matt 

Emily

eturner82
                                                                                Participant

Hi Matt 

Emily

Mat
                                                                                  Participant

Emily, I'm sorry to hear your news.  If not too intrusive, can you say at what point your husband's onc determined that he failed PD-1?  How many weeks into treatment and/or infusions?  Did he see a benefit initially and then stop responding?  We have a "friend" on MIF who has asked similar questions and your experience may benefit her.

Mat
                                                                                    Participant

arthurjedi007
                                                                                      Participant

Wow Emily yes it sounds like your husband and I have had similar situation. Good luck to you folks. Maybe we'll see each other some day. lol.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                                        Participant

Wow Emily yes it sounds like your husband and I have had similar situation. Good luck to you folks. Maybe we'll see each other some day. lol.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                                          Participant

Artie

BrianP
                                                                                          Participant

Brian

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics