The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Phase 1 antibody drug conjugate trial? Thoughts?

Forums General Melanoma Community Phase 1 antibody drug conjugate trial? Thoughts?

Participant
      I’m researching Genentech trial this for a friend. It’s a small phase 1 trial, side effects sound NASTY because of the MMAE, from what I can understand. Have any of you gurus out there heard anything or have any thoughts I’d really appreciate it.. This is his only option left because of the issues he has.

Thanks!

I’m researching Genentech trial this for a friend. It’s a small phase 1 trial, side effects sound NASTY because of the MMAE, from what I can understand. Have any of you gurus out there heard anything or have any thoughts I’d really appreciate it.. This is his only option left because of the issues he has.

Thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

No, I never heard of that before. Sorry. However,  did poke around about it a bit. 

From what I can gather, monomethly auristatin E (MMAE) is a toxin. When it is attached to an antibody, it is not toxic in the blood stream. However, when the antibody/MMAE complex is taken into a cell, the toxin becomes active and kills the cell. 

To make the toxin most effective against different types of cancer, the company that makes it (Celledex) has attached the toxin to different, specific antibodies. So, for example, in 2008 they attached MMAE to an antibody that binds to lymphona cells and got a pretty good response in terms of killing lymphona–that complex is now FDA approved. Then in 2010 they attached MMAE to an antibody that binds to breast cancer cells, but that didn't work so good–the company never did publish their final data. Apparently, the company is now trying MMAE attached to an anti-melanoma antibody (which one I don't know) as well as trying prostate cancer, non-Hodgkin lymphona and some others. 

As for side effects, the worst ones seem to be neutropenia (killing white blood cells) and neuropathy (killing peripheral nerve cells) plus the usual nausea, fever, etc. If a lot of antibody molecules bind strongly to the melanoma cells, the MMAE will probably be pretty effective. If not many antibody molecules bind, or if they only bind weakly, the complex probably won't work. And, of course, the amount of antibody bound may well vary from person to person. 

I hope this helps your friend decide.

awillett1991
            Participant
              Yes that’s about what I found too. It’s at Sarah Cannon Cancer Center so I gave him some questions to ask. They already told him its a type of fancy chemo basically, that goes after only the melanoma cells (if it works) and he would have to keep taking it forever.

He’s had a good long life, been fighting stage 4 mucosal and suffering through it almost 2 years. I’m not sure if he’ll do it or not. At best they’ve seen stable disease 4-6 mos. but at what price. Sigh. The choices we have to make.

Thank you,
              Amy

awillett1991
              Participant
                Yes that’s about what I found too. It’s at Sarah Cannon Cancer Center so I gave him some questions to ask. They already told him its a type of fancy chemo basically, that goes after only the melanoma cells (if it works) and he would have to keep taking it forever.

He’s had a good long life, been fighting stage 4 mucosal and suffering through it almost 2 years. I’m not sure if he’ll do it or not. At best they’ve seen stable disease 4-6 mos. but at what price. Sigh. The choices we have to make.

Thank you,
                Amy

awillett1991
                Participant

Thank you,
                  Amy

POW
                Participant

No, I never heard of that before. Sorry. However,  did poke around about it a bit. 

From what I can gather, monomethly auristatin E (MMAE) is a toxin. When it is attached to an antibody, it is not toxic in the blood stream. However, when the antibody/MMAE complex is taken into a cell, the toxin becomes active and kills the cell. 

To make the toxin most effective against different types of cancer, the company that makes it (Celledex) has attached the toxin to different, specific antibodies. So, for example, in 2008 they attached MMAE to an antibody that binds to lymphona cells and got a pretty good response in terms of killing lymphona–that complex is now FDA approved. Then in 2010 they attached MMAE to an antibody that binds to breast cancer cells, but that didn't work so good–the company never did publish their final data. Apparently, the company is now trying MMAE attached to an anti-melanoma antibody (which one I don't know) as well as trying prostate cancer, non-Hodgkin lymphona and some others. 

As for side effects, the worst ones seem to be neutropenia (killing white blood cells) and neuropathy (killing peripheral nerve cells) plus the usual nausea, fever, etc. If a lot of antibody molecules bind strongly to the melanoma cells, the MMAE will probably be pretty effective. If not many antibody molecules bind, or if they only bind weakly, the complex probably won't work. And, of course, the amount of antibody bound may well vary from person to person. 

POW
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics