The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PET Scan Tomorrow – Abdomen Distended

Forums General Melanoma Community PET Scan Tomorrow – Abdomen Distended

Participant

Hi All – I'm afraid I have a type of post that is fairly common and I'm just needing to sound off and express my anxiety to a group of people that can understand and empathize.  I'm Stage IIIc.  Finished biochem last February.  Over the past 10 days my stomach has become increasingly bloated and uncomfortable.  I changed the way I ate, rested differently, exercised, rested, etc…  Anything to alleviate the issue.  Its getting worse.  I would now characterize my abdomen as distended and its increasingly uncomfortable.  I called my oncologi

Hi All – I'm afraid I have a type of post that is fairly common and I'm just needing to sound off and express my anxiety to a group of people that can understand and empathize.  I'm Stage IIIc.  Finished biochem last February.  Over the past 10 days my stomach has become increasingly bloated and uncomfortable.  I changed the way I ate, rested differently, exercised, rested, etc…  Anything to alleviate the issue.  Its getting worse.  I would now characterize my abdomen as distended and its increasingly uncomfortable.  I called my oncologist and his nurse recommended I expedite my PET scan.  It is tomorrow AM.  I hope to have results by tomorrow afternoon.

I'm a wreck.  I KNOW many, many of you have been through this…and it doesn't matter how much you prepare … its NEVER a good day to find out your cancer is back. 

MM is so random and variable.  Some people get years … some months.  At any given time I try to tell myself to be happy with whatever time I do get. 

Maybe its not back, maybe this is an over-reaction? 

Thanks for listening.  – Shari

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

Well..I'm in the camp that says never accept that says never to accept that your melanoma is back until  it's been proven positively.

I wouldn't even trust a PET/CT for such a diagnosis. I've looked right at a PET/CT scan that said I had bilateral melanoma in my lungs and neck when what I really had was a viral infection.

I don't know a lot about Bio Chemo, but couldn't this problem in your abdomen be related to that? I hope so, and that it is something you whip right through!

Good luck!

dian in spokane

dian in spokane
            Participant

Sorry Shari, for some reason I thought I read that you'd finished biochemo last week not last February.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you Good luck with that scan

dian

Lisa13
              Participant

Hi Shari,

My stomach has been distended too for about a week and I have a CT scan next week for those tiny nodules in my lungs.

I've had a hiatal hernia for years as well as acid reflux which has worsened with stress, not to mention all the holistic pills I've been taking.  Stress can wreck havoc on your digestive system, so maybe it's the nerves about your scan or even something you've eaten that's bothered your stomach and caused it to extend/bloat. I too have been a bit scared as I've had some trouble breathing, but I also know I've had this problem pre-cancer when my stomach fills up with too much gas and pushes my hernia through my diaphram. Now all I can wonder is "melanoma".

You told me last week that it's easy to assume every ache, pain and abnormality is a result of the melanoma, but try not to worry until you need to.   I'm keeping my fingers crossed and would probably think this may be nothing. These medical people have made you worry more by expediting your PETscan, but hang in there and don't let your mind go into that place.

It seems alot of people who've done biochemo have done very well and kept NED for many years and I hope that you too will be on that list

I'm thinking of you.

Lisa 

Lisa13
                Participant

Hi Shari,

My stomach has been distended too for about a week and I have a CT scan next week for those tiny nodules in my lungs.

I've had a hiatal hernia for years as well as acid reflux which has worsened with stress, not to mention all the holistic pills I've been taking.  Stress can wreck havoc on your digestive system, so maybe it's the nerves about your scan or even something you've eaten that's bothered your stomach and caused it to extend/bloat. I too have been a bit scared as I've had some trouble breathing, but I also know I've had this problem pre-cancer when my stomach fills up with too much gas and pushes my hernia through my diaphram. Now all I can wonder is "melanoma".

You told me last week that it's easy to assume every ache, pain and abnormality is a result of the melanoma, but try not to worry until you need to.   I'm keeping my fingers crossed and would probably think this may be nothing. These medical people have made you worry more by expediting your PETscan, but hang in there and don't let your mind go into that place.

It seems alot of people who've done biochemo have done very well and kept NED for many years and I hope that you too will be on that list

I'm thinking of you.

Lisa 

ShariC
                  Participant

Hi Lisa – I'd forgotten I wrote to you last week.  This ride can be such a funny roller coaster (not 'ha, ha' funny, either!).  One week I'm thinking I can handle anything that comes along…then just a few short days later I'm thinking the worse.  I first thought that the "full" feeling was me eating too much and putting on too much weight too quickly from losing 40 lbs during the bio-chem.  But, then I cut down my eating…and the bloating continued.  So, we'll see.  I hope to have my scan results back tomorrow afternoon.  Thanks for "waiting" with me and sharing the anxiety a bit. – Shari

ShariC
                    Participant

Hi Lisa – I'd forgotten I wrote to you last week.  This ride can be such a funny roller coaster (not 'ha, ha' funny, either!).  One week I'm thinking I can handle anything that comes along…then just a few short days later I'm thinking the worse.  I first thought that the "full" feeling was me eating too much and putting on too much weight too quickly from losing 40 lbs during the bio-chem.  But, then I cut down my eating…and the bloating continued.  So, we'll see.  I hope to have my scan results back tomorrow afternoon.  Thanks for "waiting" with me and sharing the anxiety a bit. – Shari

ShariC
                      Participant

Thanks, Dian – It's so helpful just to get part of this off my chest just by writing that post.  Sad to say, that spreading the worry around, just a little bit, can help.  So, thanks to all of you.  I'm just new to this whole process of getting a scan and hoping for the "all clear" sign.  I've dealt with this less than a year and I haven't gotten used to the 'scanxiety' OR the general anxiety about every ache and pain.  Its a learning experience.  Thanks for your support – Shari

ShariC
                        Participant

Thanks, Dian – It's so helpful just to get part of this off my chest just by writing that post.  Sad to say, that spreading the worry around, just a little bit, can help.  So, thanks to all of you.  I'm just new to this whole process of getting a scan and hoping for the "all clear" sign.  I've dealt with this less than a year and I haven't gotten used to the 'scanxiety' OR the general anxiety about every ache and pain.  Its a learning experience.  Thanks for your support – Shari

dian in spokane
                          Participant

Sorry Shari, for some reason I thought I read that you'd finished biochemo last week not last February.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you Good luck with that scan

dian

dian in spokane
                          Participant

Well..I'm in the camp that says never accept that says never to accept that your melanoma is back until  it's been proven positively.

I wouldn't even trust a PET/CT for such a diagnosis. I've looked right at a PET/CT scan that said I had bilateral melanoma in my lungs and neck when what I really had was a viral infection.

I don't know a lot about Bio Chemo, but couldn't this problem in your abdomen be related to that? I hope so, and that it is something you whip right through!

Good luck!

dian in spokane

ValinMtl
                            Participant

Hi Shari

It's tough not to worry.  I'm so happy they put the PET scan as early as possible…now take a deep breath and try to think of the good things in life.  My CT scan showed a 'mass' on my breast last week, an ultra sound proved it wrong.  I pray that your scan shows shows all clear for melanoma and that your stomach might simply be a gastro problem which can be remedied.  Val xx

ValinMtl
                              Participant

Hi Shari

It's tough not to worry.  I'm so happy they put the PET scan as early as possible…now take a deep breath and try to think of the good things in life.  My CT scan showed a 'mass' on my breast last week, an ultra sound proved it wrong.  I pray that your scan shows shows all clear for melanoma and that your stomach might simply be a gastro problem which can be remedied.  Val xx

ShariC
                                  Participant

Val – Thanks to you and Dian for reminding me that while scans can be good…they may not be the end-all either.  Thanks for your support. – Shari

ShariC
                                    Participant

Val – Thanks to you and Dian for reminding me that while scans can be good…they may not be the end-all either.  Thanks for your support. – Shari

triciad
                                    Participant

Shari-

I'm sending an extra prayer your way tonight.  Good luck and let us know how you make out. 

Tricia

triciad
                                      Participant

Shari-

I'm sending an extra prayer your way tonight.  Good luck and let us know how you make out. 

Tricia

lhaley
                                        Participant

Shari,

If you look through the old messages about 3 months or so, Jim M was having stomach/bloating issues.  I don't know if they discovered the reason but I do know that he has posted that it was not melanoma related.

I totally understand your anxieties, we do forget that we can have other very normal reasons for not feeling well.  When our Doctors grab onto something that we say (very thankful for that) and then order more tests it also doesn't always help our anxiety!

Will be thinking of you!

Linda

Stage IV

lhaley
                                          Participant

Shari,

If you look through the old messages about 3 months or so, Jim M was having stomach/bloating issues.  I don't know if they discovered the reason but I do know that he has posted that it was not melanoma related.

I totally understand your anxieties, we do forget that we can have other very normal reasons for not feeling well.  When our Doctors grab onto something that we say (very thankful for that) and then order more tests it also doesn't always help our anxiety!

Will be thinking of you!

Linda

Stage IV

BethA in VA
                                            Participant

Good luck tomorrow.  I totally understand your worry and non of this is any fun…but you are going to be just fine.  I too, am sending up an extra prayer for good results and a calm day tomorrow.   Let us know.    Beth 3/B

ShariC
                                                Participant

Thanks, guys.  Like I said..felt better today just to get it out there to people who understand.  Thanks Linda for the information on Jim…I'll look it up.  I should have results tomorrow afternoon…hoping to get some sleep tonight.  Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers. – Shari

ShariC
                                                  Participant

Thanks, guys.  Like I said..felt better today just to get it out there to people who understand.  Thanks Linda for the information on Jim…I'll look it up.  I should have results tomorrow afternoon…hoping to get some sleep tonight.  Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers. – Shari

BethA in VA
                                                  Participant

Good luck tomorrow.  I totally understand your worry and non of this is any fun…but you are going to be just fine.  I too, am sending up an extra prayer for good results and a calm day tomorrow.   Let us know.    Beth 3/B

Carol Taylor
                                                    Participant

Hi Shari,

Praying all goes well and that it's not back. If it is back, praying they've got it and will bring mel to its knees.

Lord, in Your mercy, let all go well with Shari's scan and the cancer not be back.  Guide her doctors and let her feel Your power at work. Bring her peace and calm her. Hold her close. Thank You. Amen.

Grace and pece,

Carol

boot2aboot
                                                        Participant

Shari,

Here is hoping it's menopause…please God give "Shari a break"…

boots

boot2aboot
                                                          Participant

Shari,

Here is hoping it's menopause…please God give "Shari a break"…

boots

Carol Taylor
                                                          Participant

Hi Shari,

Praying all goes well and that it's not back. If it is back, praying they've got it and will bring mel to its knees.

Lord, in Your mercy, let all go well with Shari's scan and the cancer not be back.  Guide her doctors and let her feel Your power at work. Bring her peace and calm her. Hold her close. Thank You. Amen.

Grace and pece,

Carol

RMcLegal
                                                            Participant

Shari, scary times indeed and you can't help but wonder whether such a symptom is related to a recurrence.  But just do your best not to let your fears get ahead of the facts.  So many of us have experienced a scary symptom or scan results that turned out to have nothing whatsoever to do with melanoma.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

By the way, I just set up a community facebook page called "Melanoma Warriors-University of Colorado Cancer Center" to try to create a forum for UCCC patients to connect.  If you're interested, you could be the very first person other than me to "like" it.

Rich

RMcLegal
                                                              Participant

Shari, scary times indeed and you can't help but wonder whether such a symptom is related to a recurrence.  But just do your best not to let your fears get ahead of the facts.  So many of us have experienced a scary symptom or scan results that turned out to have nothing whatsoever to do with melanoma.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

By the way, I just set up a community facebook page called "Melanoma Warriors-University of Colorado Cancer Center" to try to create a forum for UCCC patients to connect.  If you're interested, you could be the very first person other than me to "like" it.

Rich

RMcLegal
                                                                Participant

Shari, just wanted to let you know that you're in my thoughts and prayers.  Rich

RMcLegal
                                                                  Participant

Shari, just wanted to let you know that you're in my thoughts and prayers.  Rich

Jim M.
                                                                    Participant

Sorry for the late response Shari. Yuo must have your results by now. I did have bloating issues before. A CT scan showed something in the end of the small intestine (the ileum). They couldn't tell what it was so I had a small bowel follow through. It showed nothing. I had a follow up PET scan which was negative. I was told it could be a thickening in the small bowel. It could be where the small bowel slides into the large bowel (or vice versa), where it telescopes on itself. There is a technical word for it that I can't remember. The surgical onc's assistant said it could be something unique to me. I have a feeling it was a side effect from the Alendronate. I discontinued that drug and now I am fine. I'm also trying to cut back on fiber. Too much fiber can cause bloating.

God Bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                                                      Participant

Sorry for the late response Shari. Yuo must have your results by now. I did have bloating issues before. A CT scan showed something in the end of the small intestine (the ileum). They couldn't tell what it was so I had a small bowel follow through. It showed nothing. I had a follow up PET scan which was negative. I was told it could be a thickening in the small bowel. It could be where the small bowel slides into the large bowel (or vice versa), where it telescopes on itself. There is a technical word for it that I can't remember. The surgical onc's assistant said it could be something unique to me. I have a feeling it was a side effect from the Alendronate. I discontinued that drug and now I am fine. I'm also trying to cut back on fiber. Too much fiber can cause bloating.

God Bless,

Jim M.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics