The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PET Scan results and next steps

Forums General Melanoma Community PET Scan results and next steps

Participant

Yesterday I received my PET CT results from U of M and although I do not know the FDG uptake ( I was at work when Dr. Lao called me and a little thrown off), the 3 lung nodules all had uptake and Dr. Lao finally admitted that he thinks that they are metastisis and wants a biopsy.  Scarily he said that a portion of my esophagus also lit up but that it could be just inflammation?  He had already talked to interventional radiology and they declined to do a needle biopsy so he wants to schedule me for a wedge resection.  I have read others posts about that procedure and I feel ok about it.

I imagine that I will meet with onc after the biopsy results and if positive will make treatment decisions.  In a weird way I am glad that I finally will be able to DO SOMETHING about this invader in my body other than just trying to be healthy and keep on keeping on (and of course the neck dissection..)

I am nervous, I am confused but I ahve here to work it all out and for that I am thankful.

Peggy

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Peggy, so sorry these lung nodules are turning out to be not so nice little buggers. I totally understand that feeling of, well, if they're positive then I can start really getting down to business with this mel stuff. 

Wishing you all the best,

jennunicorn
          Participant

Peggy, so sorry these lung nodules are turning out to be not so nice little buggers. I totally understand that feeling of, well, if they're positive then I can start really getting down to business with this mel stuff. 

jennunicorn
            Participant

Mamapegela
                Participant

Thanks Jenn- I am really rooting for you too, I know you're going through some tough stuff too. 

Love and hope-

Peggy

Mamapegela
                  Participant

Thanks Jenn- I am really rooting for you too, I know you're going through some tough stuff too. 

Love and hope-

Peggy

Mamapegela
                    Participant

Love and hope-

Peggy

JoshF
                    Participant

Not what we'd want to hear but you're being diligent! Stay on top of it and if it comes back an unfriendly…then get after it! You got this!

Josh

Mamapegela
                        Participant

Thanks Josh and Celeste.  I appreciate everything that both of you post here and how supportive you are to others.  I can't overstate how helpful it is.

Peggy

Mamapegela
                          Participant

Thanks Josh and Celeste.  I appreciate everything that both of you post here and how supportive you are to others.  I can't overstate how helpful it is.

Peggy

Mamapegela
                            Participant

Peggy

JoshF
                            Participant

Not what we'd want to hear but you're being diligent! Stay on top of it and if it comes back an unfriendly…then get after it! You got this!

Josh

JoshF
                              Participant

Josh

Bubbles
                                Participant

So sorry! But Josh is exactly right. You did your part. You're looking into it. And you'll cross bridges as you must! Still sucky, though. But you're tough! Hang in there! Celeste

Bubbles
                                  Participant

So sorry! But Josh is exactly right. You did your part. You're looking into it. And you'll cross bridges as you must! Still sucky, though. But you're tough! Hang in there! Celeste

Bubbles
                                    Participant

BrianP
                                      Participant

Peggy,

Assuming your esophagus is just inflamation, will the wedge biopsy remove all the suspected melanoma?

BrianP
                                        Participant

Peggy,

Assuming your esophagus is just inflamation, will the wedge biopsy remove all the suspected melanoma?

BrianP
                                          Participant

Peggy,

Mamapegela
                                              Participant

Hi Brian- No, I have 3 nodes and they are only removing one.  Two in different lobes of the right lung and one in the left lung sitting right on my diaphragm.  This is diagnostic in nature. P

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                Participant

Hi Brian- No, I have 3 nodes and they are only removing one.  Two in different lobes of the right lung and one in the left lung sitting right on my diaphragm.  This is diagnostic in nature. P

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                  Participant

Peggy

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics