The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pet scan results…

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Pet scan results…

Participant
      Stage 3b
      Mel on left mid back.
      1 lymph node micro to left armpit.
      Clnd on left armpit done. Dec 2015

Hi.
      I just had my pet scan results. New findings. New punctate focus of increases activity with Suv value of 3.2 Subcutaneous soft tissues lateral to the right knee. No corresponding CT abnormality in this region.

Could this be melanoma?

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Unlikely to be mel. 3.2 uptake is very minimal, more likely from exercise or strain in that area, which is why they say not to exercise for 24hrs before a PET scan. It would be unusual for mel to go from the top left side of your body to the bottom right, just doesn't really flow that way. Plus nothing to see on CT is another good sign that it is very unlikely melanoma. 

gregor913
            Participant
              Thanx for the reply. I do work out it I didn’t work out 24 hours in advance. I hope all is well with you.
              MovingOn
              Participant

I doubt that it is Melanoma also. As an example I looked at my most recent PET scan together with my Oncologist. On it my elbows had a lighter color. She zoomed in on it and then told me that for elbows they look at symmetry (between right and left elbow) more so than uptake. For areas like elbows and knees we use them right up until we get onto the scan table. Maybe ask them about your other knee or think if you did anything special with that leg a few days before the scan (kicking a ball, etc). 

I once triggered a PET scan spot on my left shoulder from lifting heavy carry-on luggage 55 hours before the scan.

Viewing 0 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics