The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Perspective

Forums General Melanoma Community Perspective

Participant

I must be a jerk, ass, mean, and unsympathetic person but I don't get it.  I understand the love for animals/pets and respect people who love and care for them.  ie. John  but here's my nagging question… Where are the bounds that separate caring for animals vs. caring for people?  Here's what got me started on this… An author is coming to our county Humane Society and will raise money for that organization.  This is all good since the Humane Society in your local cities are not funded by the Humane Society you see on T.V.

I must be a jerk, ass, mean, and unsympathetic person but I don't get it.  I understand the love for animals/pets and respect people who love and care for them.  ie. John  but here's my nagging question… Where are the bounds that separate caring for animals vs. caring for people?  Here's what got me started on this… An author is coming to our county Humane Society and will raise money for that organization.  This is all good since the Humane Society in your local cities are not funded by the Humane Society you see on T.V. soliciting money.  Seems odd?  Yes and it's sad.  http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/post/new_york_times_ad_shouldnt_the_humane_society_do_better/ 

Okay, I got off topic with that one.  ha, Off Topic, get it?  never mind.  Anyway, so this guy is coming to speak at the Humane Society, he wrote a book detailing  the dogs involved in the Michael Vick case and what happened to them.  Michael Vick served prison time and paid 'restitution' of 1 million dollars to the dogs.  Michael Vick was wrong in his dog fighting we can all agree on that.  But what about norms?  Bullfighting is a norm in Mexico, so is Cockfighting and probably a huge variety of other animal cruelty sports, but not just in Mexico but in most other countries.  What happens to all these animals?  Probably are eaten or buried with no public outrage since the norms between cultures are vast.

This guy writes a book, goes around raising money for animals (but I'm sure gets huge returns personally via. publicity) and everybody is happy.  Tons of money is raised that goes to animal care.  Here's my issue.  What about people who suffer and have suffered by the hands of others?  I have a good friend who was sexually abused by her father and his brother until she started puberty.  Can you f'ing imagine the hell she has gone through?  This is not an isolated issue, it is very common.  Why isn't there more of an outrage against pedophiles, wife beaters, etc., and why isn't there more money going to the care and help for the victims?  My friend suffered severely with alcoholism and has come back…. her story and the story of many that have gone through similar crap should be risen, instead, it is like a dirty little secret, not laced with the feel good of dogs being rescued from Michael Vick.  Shouldn't we have more perspective on this?  I honestly welcome feedback because I just don't get it.

yoop

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kimmer
        Participant

Yoop,

I don't think that you are unsympathetic at all.  I speak as someone who can get weighed down thinking about all of those who are in pain.  But I really think there is plenty of outcry against those who cause suffering to the helpless…the recent verdict in the Casey Anthony trial comes to mind first.  And there will always be someone who profits when there is such an outcry, i.e. Nancy Grace.  I believe her ratings soared.  I read an opinion of M. Vick one time stating that cruelty of that depth is not only what someone would do, it is what they are in their soul.  I happen to agree and it just truly disturbs me to see his name week after week…and yep, I do LOVE football and appreciate what a great athlete he is.

There is outrage.  Plenty of it,  yet the suffering goes on…

And that is the reason it can weigh so heavily on those, like you, who have so much compassion in their souls.

Take good care, k. and take 6 seconds to watch the cuteness of our new doggie, please.  Cappi is a rescue Beagle and I am completely selfish in the joy she brings to our house.  She has been abandoned 3 times in her 11 years, but somehow she is the most loving little thing I have ever seen.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1SB6KA_FLU&feature=related  

yoop
            Participant

Hi Kimmer,

Yep, you sure do have a cute one.  Sure suprising she was abandoned 3 times, you are lucky.

Yeah, there is a voice for the helpless but sure seems disproportionate sometimes.  I'm off my soapbox now.

You take good care too,

Yoop

yoop
              Participant

Hi Kimmer,

Yep, you sure do have a cute one.  Sure suprising she was abandoned 3 times, you are lucky.

Yeah, there is a voice for the helpless but sure seems disproportionate sometimes.  I'm off my soapbox now.

You take good care too,

Yoop

yoop
                Participant

Hi Kimmer,

You take good care too,

Yoop

Kimmer
                Participant

Yoop,

I don't think that you are unsympathetic at all.  I speak as someone who can get weighed down thinking about all of those who are in pain.  But I really think there is plenty of outcry against those who cause suffering to the helpless…the recent verdict in the Casey Anthony trial comes to mind first.  And there will always be someone who profits when there is such an outcry, i.e. Nancy Grace.  I believe her ratings soared.  I read an opinion of M. Vick one time stating that cruelty of that depth is not only what someone would do, it is what they are in their soul.  I happen to agree and it just truly disturbs me to see his name week after week…and yep, I do LOVE football and appreciate what a great athlete he is.

And that is the reason it can weigh so heavily on those, like you, who have so much compassion in their souls.

Take good care, k. and take 6 seconds to watch the cuteness of our new doggie, please.  Cappi is a rescue Beagle and I am completely selfish in the joy she brings to our house.  She has been abandoned 3 times in her 11 years, but somehow she is the most loving little thing I have ever seen.  

Kimmer
                  Participant

Yoop,

jag
                    Participant
                      Yoop , Go to Guidestar.com search pediatric, then search animal. See how many results you get for each. It never ceases to amaze me how as I noticed in NYC, little old ladies carrying their Yorkie in a burberry sweater would look with disgust at a homeless man sleeping on a heater vent. That and how all of the looney PITA people would be protesting horse drawn carriages in high temperatures, then order Chinese food to be delivered to their 12th floor walkup.

Figure any of this out and you can have my dvm license.

yoop
                        Participant

Well, I don't think I'll be getting your dvm license.  I will have to let it ride, this conundrum of humanity.  I hope your business is doing well, sure seems like a very viable commodity there.

yoop

yoop
                          Participant

Well, I don't think I'll be getting your dvm license.  I will have to let it ride, this conundrum of humanity.  I hope your business is doing well, sure seems like a very viable commodity there.

yoop

yoop
                            Participant

yoop

jag
                            Participant
                              Yoop , Go to Guidestar.com search pediatric, then search animal. See how many results you get for each. It never ceases to amaze me how as I noticed in NYC, little old ladies carrying their Yorkie in a burberry sweater would look with disgust at a homeless man sleeping on a heater vent. That and how all of the looney PITA people would be protesting horse drawn carriages in high temperatures, then order Chinese food to be delivered to their 12th floor walkup.

jag
                              Participant

washoegal
                                Participant

I'm a big time animal person but here's my line drawn in the sand.  I give my volunteer time to animals (mostly), I give what money I can to help people.  Sometimes I think it's easier for people to deal with animal issues than to lok at the human side of things.  Who wants to look at child abuse in the face?  We have just learned to say cancer out loud, it's a big step to deal with all the other issues.  Personally, I find animals easier.  I feel hope there.  The human condition sometimes is just so hard to look at.

mary

yoop
                                    Participant

Yep, I think you are right.

Last week I was yapping about this and my friend explained it the same as you. 

Abuse is ugly all around and it's hard to keep down the images and thoughts of what some people have to endure.

Animals also never let you down, rescue them and they wag their tails. 

Disheartening sometimes to help people and be somewhat let down… Here's and example.  A younger boy in my hometown was diagnosed with a form of cancer and needed treatment.  Fundraisers have been going on for over a year and money has poured in to help the family with hospital costs, etc.  The family is not poor and did have really good insurance.  The family then buys new vehicles, 4 wheelers and goes on big trips.  The boy is fine now.  I understand how hard cancer is on someone and their families, but it saddens me when you feel that the funds for the child were seemingly used for personal gains.

A local fire dept. raised a pile of money and gave it to the family where the dept. didn't even get an acknowledgement or thanks for their efforts. 

No more soapboxin, I'll stick to writing about a misspent youth, young adult silliness and now a muture adult immaturity.

yoop

yoop
                                      Participant

Abuse is ugly all around and it's hard to keep down the images and thoughts of what some people have to endure.

Disheartening sometimes to help people and be somewhat let down… Here's and example.  A younger boy in my hometown was diagnosed with a form of cancer and needed treatment.  Fundraisers have been going on for over a year and money has poured in to help the family with hospital costs, etc.  The family is not poor and did have really good insurance.  The family then buys new vehicles, 4 wheelers and goes on big trips.  The boy is fine now.  I understand how hard cancer is on someone and their families, but it saddens me when you feel that the funds for the child were seemingly used for personal gains.

A local fire dept. raised a pile of money and gave it to the family where the dept. didn't even get an acknowledgement or thanks for their efforts. 

No more soapboxin, I'll stick to writing about a misspent youth, young adult silliness and now a muture adult immaturity.

yoop

yoop
                                        Participant

yoop

washoegal
                                        Participant

I'm a big time animal person but here's my line drawn in the sand.  I give my volunteer time to animals (mostly), I give what money I can to help people.  Sometimes I think it's easier for people to deal with animal issues than to lok at the human side of things.  Who wants to look at child abuse in the face?  We have just learned to say cancer out loud, it's a big step to deal with all the other issues.  Personally, I find animals easier.  I feel hope there.  The human condition sometimes is just so hard to look at.

mary

washoegal
                                          Participant

mary

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics