The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pegylated Interferon?

Forums General Melanoma Community Pegylated Interferon?

Participant

Anyone have experience with peg interferon?  For me at stage IIIB it's one of two options since I don't qualify for any trials (it's either that or regular interferon).  I'm extremely hesitant to do Interferon for a lot of reasons, and supposedly peg interferon has fewer side effects, although it's a 5 year regimen (instead of the 1 year).  I'd love to hear thoughts on this!

Thanks a ton,

ChristineL

Anyone have experience with peg interferon?  For me at stage IIIB it's one of two options since I don't qualify for any trials (it's either that or regular interferon).  I'm extremely hesitant to do Interferon for a lot of reasons, and supposedly peg interferon has fewer side effects, although it's a 5 year regimen (instead of the 1 year).  I'd love to hear thoughts on this!

Thanks a ton,

ChristineL

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jerry from Cape Cod
        Participant

Hi Christine,

It looks like not too many have experience with Peglated Interferon.  I thought I'd respond to get it back into the top mix.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
          Participant

Hi Christine,

It looks like not too many have experience with Peglated Interferon.  I thought I'd respond to get it back into the top mix.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Fen
            Participant

Christine – my husband has done peg interferon for hepatitis so here is his response.

"Pegalated means they put glycol on it to make it a bigger molecule so it  is supposed to stay in the system longer.  I can't tell about dosage because they come in different units and the dose for melanoma is a lot stronger. "  

The peg interferon didn't work any better on his hepatitis, but that is just him and his hepatitis is particularly resistant to treatment.  I do know he was very fatigued over the time he took it.  

I'm guessing that the controversy over year long regular interferon use can be applied to peg interferon too.

good luck!

ChristineL
                Participant

Thanks for the replies.  It was approved for mel in '09, and there were trials done in Europe with results published in '08 and Dr. Eggermont spoke about it at a conference earlier this year.  I guess word hasn't really crossed the puddle yet for people to give it a try, but figured I'd ask anyway.  My oncologist was shocked that I had even heard of it! 

Thanks again!!

ChristineL

ChristineL
                  Participant

Thanks for the replies.  It was approved for mel in '09, and there were trials done in Europe with results published in '08 and Dr. Eggermont spoke about it at a conference earlier this year.  I guess word hasn't really crossed the puddle yet for people to give it a try, but figured I'd ask anyway.  My oncologist was shocked that I had even heard of it! 

Thanks again!!

ChristineL

Fen
                  Participant

Christine – my husband has done peg interferon for hepatitis so here is his response.

"Pegalated means they put glycol on it to make it a bigger molecule so it  is supposed to stay in the system longer.  I can't tell about dosage because they come in different units and the dose for melanoma is a lot stronger. "  

The peg interferon didn't work any better on his hepatitis, but that is just him and his hepatitis is particularly resistant to treatment.  I do know he was very fatigued over the time he took it.  

I'm guessing that the controversy over year long regular interferon use can be applied to peg interferon too.

good luck!

ValinMtl
                    Participant

Hi Christine

The only thing I knew about pegylated interferon was that it was in use for hepatitis so now it's available for mel eh?  I know you have some big decisions to be made soon and I am thinking of you.  One thing, I find is that interferon seems to work better with younger people..e.g. has held mel off for over 15 years for my young friend Dave..his was on his arm with unknown primary!! but didn't work for me..dang, I'm much older.. so your youth and thus better immune system will be advantageous, plus you eat healthy!!

Val

Jerry from Cape Cod
                        Participant

That's because she grows good veggies!!!

Jerry from Cape Cod

ChristineL
                          Participant

If nobody buys them, SOMEBODY has to eat them- waste not, want not.  🙂

Cheers,

ChristineL

ChristineL
                            Participant

If nobody buys them, SOMEBODY has to eat them- waste not, want not.  🙂

Cheers,

ChristineL

Jerry from Cape Cod
                              Participant

That's because she grows good veggies!!!

Jerry from Cape Cod

ValinMtl
                              Participant

Hi Christine

The only thing I knew about pegylated interferon was that it was in use for hepatitis so now it's available for mel eh?  I know you have some big decisions to be made soon and I am thinking of you.  One thing, I find is that interferon seems to work better with younger people..e.g. has held mel off for over 15 years for my young friend Dave..his was on his arm with unknown primary!! but didn't work for me..dang, I'm much older.. so your youth and thus better immune system will be advantageous, plus you eat healthy!!

Val

Jacqueline
                                Participant

Hi ChristineL,

I realize this reply is a little late but I was on a peg interferon trial in 2007. I was told that the symptoms are less severe than the standard dose…can't testify to that though! Good news is that I am still cancer free. I was at stage III when diagnosed. I had a total lymphandectomy in my right groin and pelvis.  7 lymph nodes were positive. I was only on interferon for one year and also had radiation.  But again, I am cancer free.  The treatment was a beast, however. I was in the first semester of my doctoral program when diagnosed.  I had to take time off to complete the treatment.  I was extremely fatigued, cold, could not drink anything with ice(everything was room temp), I lost my appetite and weight, and there were days that I was extremely achy…to the point of not wanting to be touched. However, these were not consistent symptoms.  I am just telling the worst. Overall, it was a necessary part of my treatment and most importantly I survived to tell the tale.

Good luck in your treatment and best wishes for a cancer free existence!

Jacqueline

Melanoma Mom
                                    Participant

Would it be beneficial to start it almost a year after your diagnosis?

A treatment plan of five years would be a deterrent for me, only because of Interferon's low success rates. I continue to wonder if my son is going through all this for naught, but how is one to know. We are just trying to "power" through this year and get it done. Five years of treatment sounds endless ….. but then again, five years of life sounds glorious!

Melanoma Mom
                                      Participant

Would it be beneficial to start it almost a year after your diagnosis?

A treatment plan of five years would be a deterrent for me, only because of Interferon's low success rates. I continue to wonder if my son is going through all this for naught, but how is one to know. We are just trying to "power" through this year and get it done. Five years of treatment sounds endless ….. but then again, five years of life sounds glorious!

EmilyandMike
                                        Participant

Since this thread remerged recently, I wanted to add that last week the the FDA approved Sylatron (Peg-Interferon) for Stage III.  Here is a good overview for those who are interested:

http://www.ecancermedicalscience.com/news-insider-news.asp?itemId=1704 

Thanks

Emily

http://www.emandmichael.com

John R
                                          Participant

I considered this treatment last year when diagnosed but insurance would not pay for it since it was only approved for treatment of Hepatitis.  Now that it has been approved for Melanoma it might be a different story.

John R
                                            Participant

I considered this treatment last year when diagnosed but insurance would not pay for it since it was only approved for treatment of Hepatitis.  Now that it has been approved for Melanoma it might be a different story.

EmilyandMike
                                              Participant

Since this thread remerged recently, I wanted to add that last week the the FDA approved Sylatron (Peg-Interferon) for Stage III.  Here is a good overview for those who are interested:

http://www.ecancermedicalscience.com/news-insider-news.asp?itemId=1704 

Thanks

Emily

http://www.emandmichael.com

Jacqueline
                                                Participant

It would be best to consult your son's medical oncologist.  I suggest following their recommendations.  With cancer, there is always uncertainty.  We never know how successful our treatment will be but we can always hope and have faith! I know that is not much reassurance but you have to trust your doctors and yourself to chose the correct treatment.  Good luck!

KansasGirl73
                                                  Participant

Hello…   I was wondering if anyone out there has tried this treatment (Peginterferon) since its FDA approval earlier this year.   My oncologist has recently recommended it for me.   I tried the traditional Interferon, but only got thru a handful of my IV treatments before the side effects were too much for me.  After allowing some time to rest and heal a bit more, this is the course of action he thinks is best.   I'm starting in just a few weeks, and I'll admit, after trying regular Interferon, I'm a bit nervous.    Any words of wisdom?

KansasGirl73
                                                    Participant

Hello…   I was wondering if anyone out there has tried this treatment (Peginterferon) since its FDA approval earlier this year.   My oncologist has recently recommended it for me.   I tried the traditional Interferon, but only got thru a handful of my IV treatments before the side effects were too much for me.  After allowing some time to rest and heal a bit more, this is the course of action he thinks is best.   I'm starting in just a few weeks, and I'll admit, after trying regular Interferon, I'm a bit nervous.    Any words of wisdom?

KansasGirl73
                                                      Participant

Jacqueline
                                                        Participant

Hello there,

I was on Peginterferon when it was in the clinical trial stage (this was in 2007).  Unfortunately, I did not complete five years of treatment…I didn't even complete one year. I was not prepared for the side effects (mind you I was in my 20s at the time).  However, considering you are coming off the standard course of interferon, the symptoms might not be as bad for you. I was in the process of trying to return to school to complete my doctoral program and realized there was no way that would happen while I was on peg-intron. Good news…I did complete a course of radiation and couple with the six months of pegylated intereron I have been NED since 2007.

My advice: give it a try. The worse thing that can happen is you pull out early.

Keep smiling and looking to tomorrow,

Jacqueline

Jacqueline
                                                          Participant

Hello there,

I was on Peginterferon when it was in the clinical trial stage (this was in 2007).  Unfortunately, I did not complete five years of treatment…I didn't even complete one year. I was not prepared for the side effects (mind you I was in my 20s at the time).  However, considering you are coming off the standard course of interferon, the symptoms might not be as bad for you. I was in the process of trying to return to school to complete my doctoral program and realized there was no way that would happen while I was on peg-intron. Good news…I did complete a course of radiation and couple with the six months of pegylated intereron I have been NED since 2007.

My advice: give it a try. The worse thing that can happen is you pull out early.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline
                                                            Participant

Hello there,

Jacqueline

eaca
                                                              Participant

Hi KansasGirl,

I am currently on a trial with Peginterferon and just wanted to reply to your question (also look up other posts by me, as I gave a longer explanation of my reactions when I started).  I can't compare with regular interferon, of course, since I've only done the peg, but I am not finding it too difficult.  The worst was for the two days after the very first injection, but since then everything is tolerable and I haven't had any horrible side-effects.  I'm on week 9 of a high dose regime which goes down to a lower dose at 12 weeks.  Injections once a week.  Generally I'm slightly fatigued and short of breath and have lower energy than normal, but I can certainly function and go to work as usual.  I've had occasional headaches, dry mouth and am starting to get some itchy skin.  That's the full disclosure at this point.

Good luck with your decision.  Definitely try it out and I hope that the side-effects are tolerable for you too!

Elisa

eaca
                                                                Participant

Hi KansasGirl,

I am currently on a trial with Peginterferon and just wanted to reply to your question (also look up other posts by me, as I gave a longer explanation of my reactions when I started).  I can't compare with regular interferon, of course, since I've only done the peg, but I am not finding it too difficult.  The worst was for the two days after the very first injection, but since then everything is tolerable and I haven't had any horrible side-effects.  I'm on week 9 of a high dose regime which goes down to a lower dose at 12 weeks.  Injections once a week.  Generally I'm slightly fatigued and short of breath and have lower energy than normal, but I can certainly function and go to work as usual.  I've had occasional headaches, dry mouth and am starting to get some itchy skin.  That's the full disclosure at this point.

Good luck with your decision.  Definitely try it out and I hope that the side-effects are tolerable for you too!

Elisa

eaca
                                                                  Participant

Hi KansasGirl,

Elisa

Jacqueline
                                                                    Participant

It would be best to consult your son's medical oncologist.  I suggest following their recommendations.  With cancer, there is always uncertainty.  We never know how successful our treatment will be but we can always hope and have faith! I know that is not much reassurance but you have to trust your doctors and yourself to chose the correct treatment.  Good luck!

Jacqueline
                                                                    Participant

Hi ChristineL,

I realize this reply is a little late but I was on a peg interferon trial in 2007. I was told that the symptoms are less severe than the standard dose…can't testify to that though! Good news is that I am still cancer free. I was at stage III when diagnosed. I had a total lymphandectomy in my right groin and pelvis.  7 lymph nodes were positive. I was only on interferon for one year and also had radiation.  But again, I am cancer free.  The treatment was a beast, however. I was in the first semester of my doctoral program when diagnosed.  I had to take time off to complete the treatment.  I was extremely fatigued, cold, could not drink anything with ice(everything was room temp), I lost my appetite and weight, and there were days that I was extremely achy…to the point of not wanting to be touched. However, these were not consistent symptoms.  I am just telling the worst. Overall, it was a necessary part of my treatment and most importantly I survived to tell the tale.

Good luck in your treatment and best wishes for a cancer free existence!

Jacqueline

ezygoin686
                                                                      Participant

I started the Peginterferon July 2011 after being diagnosed with stage IIIB malignant melanomia.  I have undergone two surgeries, one to remove the cancer and the other to remove nine lymph-nods under my right arm.

On the Sylatron a/k/a Peginterferon I am experiencing major fatigue.  Tired, doesn't begin to desribe it.  Somedays I cannot hold my head up for long periods of time.  It usually lasts 4 days before I start to feel somewhat better. Then I usually get, maybe, one good day and  it's time for another injection and here we go again.

I was told there is no cure for melanoma and that the Sylaton will only prolong my life.  However, I am beginning to wonder if it's worth it. 

Other symptoms are depression, food tastes different or has no taste at all, small bumps or rash on my trunk area and they itch. Additionally, headaches and muscle pain and loss of muscle mass.

ezygoin686
                                                                        Participant

I started the Peginterferon July 2011 after being diagnosed with stage IIIB malignant melanomia.  I have undergone two surgeries, one to remove the cancer and the other to remove nine lymph-nods under my right arm.

On the Sylatron a/k/a Peginterferon I am experiencing major fatigue.  Tired, doesn't begin to desribe it.  Somedays I cannot hold my head up for long periods of time.  It usually lasts 4 days before I start to feel somewhat better. Then I usually get, maybe, one good day and  it's time for another injection and here we go again.

I was told there is no cure for melanoma and that the Sylaton will only prolong my life.  However, I am beginning to wonder if it's worth it. 

Other symptoms are depression, food tastes different or has no taste at all, small bumps or rash on my trunk area and they itch. Additionally, headaches and muscle pain and loss of muscle mass.

ezygoin686
                                                                          Participant

Viewing 10 reply threads
                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics