The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pd1 trial …. Not Working :( (Yet)

Forums General Melanoma Community Pd1 trial …. Not Working :( (Yet)

Participant
      Hi I’m on bms pd1 trial in Boston just had my first 8 week scan and its pretty bad news all tumors have progressed and new tumors have popped up ;( I had to sign a new consent to stay on the trial even tho I know the tumors have all grown but I only can get 2 more treatments then another scan in 6 weeks if tumors continue to grow I’m off the trial Not sure what’s next for me as i have already failed yervoy. I am trying to stay positive but it’s getting harder and harder as I feel I have failed 2 of the best treatments out there … Scared

Hi I’m on bms pd1 trial in Boston just had my first 8 week scan and its pretty bad news all tumors have progressed and new tumors have popped up ;( I had to sign a new consent to stay on the trial even tho I know the tumors have all grown but I only can get 2 more treatments then another scan in 6 weeks if tumors continue to grow I’m off the trial Not sure what’s next for me as i have already failed yervoy. I am trying to stay positive but it’s getting harder and harder as I feel I have failed 2 of the best treatments out there … Scared

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        kylez
        Participant

Hi Erin,

I'm sorry you're not seeing clear response on the anti-PD1 trial yet. That's a lot to cope with. I hope it turns around for you. It also sounds prudent to start exploring a plan C.

I've never been in a clinical trial, you have so you know what that's like. 

This board, MPIP, has what seems like a very good clinical trial finder service that I tried it. There's a questionnaire to fill out to collect a lot of criteria, and then a human being will call you back on the phone to clarify any questions, and then search and email you back a set of matching trial candiate that it looks like you would qualify for. Then they'll follow up on the phone to see if you're interested in any of the candidate trials. I tried it and was very impressed, much better than clicking around web sites for hours. It found some trials I hadn't ever seen (and I'm hard to find trials for because of CNS involvement and BRAF negative.) Link here: http://www.melanoma.org/learn-more/patient-reference-guide/melanoma%20clinical%20trial%20finder

Here's a post on one particular new trial, pointed out by the moderator of another board (the MIF board), described as possibly promising. It doesn't require BRAF positive, and it doesn't exclude (as far as I can tell) prior antibody therapies, at least after 21 days have passed. http://www.z2systems.com/mif/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34159

Another plan C might be IL-2 , if no clincial trails turn up. All of these are percentage plays as you know. Sounds like you're trying them out one-by-one.

Hang in there and stay strong. 
          Kyle

kylez
          Participant

Hi Erin,

I'm sorry you're not seeing clear response on the anti-PD1 trial yet. That's a lot to cope with. I hope it turns around for you. It also sounds prudent to start exploring a plan C.

This board, MPIP, has what seems like a very good clinical trial finder service that I tried it. There's a questionnaire to fill out to collect a lot of criteria, and then a human being will call you back on the phone to clarify any questions, and then search and email you back a set of matching trial candiate that it looks like you would qualify for. Then they'll follow up on the phone to see if you're interested in any of the candidate trials. I tried it and was very impressed, much better than clicking around web sites for hours. It found some trials I hadn't ever seen (and I'm hard to find trials for because of CNS involvement and BRAF negative.) Link here: http://www.melanoma.org/learn-more/patient-reference-guide/melanoma%20clinical%20trial%20finder

Here's a post on one particular new trial, pointed out by the moderator of another board (the MIF board), described as possibly promising. It doesn't require BRAF positive, and it doesn't exclude (as far as I can tell) prior antibody therapies, at least after 21 days have passed. http://www.z2systems.com/mif/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34159

Another plan C might be IL-2 , if no clincial trails turn up. All of these are percentage plays as you know. Sounds like you're trying them out one-by-one.

Kyle

kylez
              Participant

Bad link the clinical trial finder, try this:

http://www.emergingmed.com/networks/MRF/

Erinlisay38
                Participant
                  Hi thank you for the link I will look into it .. I’m also BRAF negative which does exclude me from a few promising treatments .. My doctor hasn’t even mentioned a plan c yet . I plan on asking her at my next visit time is ticking this disease is growing and spreading fast .can I ask what treatment you are on ? And what treatments have you already tried?…. Again thank you for the link 🙂
                  Erinlisay38
                  Participant
                    Hi thank you for the link I will look into it .. I’m also BRAF negative which does exclude me from a few promising treatments .. My doctor hasn’t even mentioned a plan c yet . I plan on asking her at my next visit time is ticking this disease is growing and spreading fast .can I ask what treatment you are on ? And what treatments have you already tried?…. Again thank you for the link 🙂
                    Erinlisay38
                    Participant
                      Bubbles
                      Participant

I agree with Kyle.  You still have options. Sometimes anti-PD1 has a delayed response.  And, though I'm not clear on the location of your tumors there's something called Rose Bengal that can be injected into superficial tumors.  For a more conventional approach, it sounds like IL2 might be something well worth looking into.  MEK when combined with various BRAF products can be effective even for Brag neg patients.  Hang in there.  C

Bubbles
                        Participant

I agree with Kyle.  You still have options. Sometimes anti-PD1 has a delayed response.  And, though I'm not clear on the location of your tumors there's something called Rose Bengal that can be injected into superficial tumors.  For a more conventional approach, it sounds like IL2 might be something well worth looking into.  MEK when combined with various BRAF products can be effective even for Brag neg patients.  Hang in there.  C

Erinlisay38
                          Participant
                            Hi yeah I’m hoping I hear something good in 6 weeks . And my tumors are all in my trunk , liver lungs abdomen pelvic small intestines kidney . My Doctor said its possible because I have so many tumors that it could take a longer I hope that is the case I don’t know .
                            Erinlisay38
                            Participant
                              Hi yeah I’m hoping I hear something good in 6 weeks . And my tumors are all in my trunk , liver lungs abdomen pelvic small intestines kidney . My Doctor said its possible because I have so many tumors that it could take a longer I hope that is the case I don’t know .
                              jim Breitfeller
                              Participant

Erin,

You may have failed Yervoy (anti-CTLA-4 and Anti-PD-1), but there are other therapies that may Help. Tumors secrete suppresive cytokines,proteins and enzymes (IL-10, TGF-b, Gal-3, Gal,1 and IDO) to help them avoid detection from our immune system. Yervoy and Anti-PD-1 only block two pathways.  It seem you are missing the "Danger Signal" to get the immune response started.  Your Tumors may be producing IL-10 and IDO. IDO is an enzyme that breaks down trytophan, an essential amino acid. Without Trytophan, your body can't upregulate IL-6 expression. Without IL-6, and in the presence of TGF-b, T-cells differeniate into T regulatory cells (Tregs). If IL-6 was present, the T-cells would Differeniate into TH17 and involk the "Danger Signal".

You may want to look into IDO inhibitor trial and or Anti-TGF-b trial.

IDO Pathway Inhibitor Technology

“We believe that immune system failure is a fundamental reason for the inability of the human body to successfully fight cancer cells. Research indicates that tumors can induce the human immune system to tolerate the existence of the tumor. This immune tolerance and suppression is a major barrier to successful treatment of cancer and is a significant target for new therapeutics.

Indoleamine-(2,3)-dioxygenase (IDO) pathway inhibitors, including NLG8189 (d-1-methyltryptophan, or D-1MT), represent a potential breakthrough approach to cancer therapy using small‑molecule, anti-toleragenic product candidates intended to combat the mechanisms by which tumors evade immune-mediated destruction. IDO is an enzyme that regulates immune response by suppressing effector T-cell function through depletion of the essential amino acid tryptophan. Recent studies have demonstrated that IDO is overexpressed in many cancer types, both 1) within tumor cells,where it may act as a direct defense against T-cell attack, and 2) within dendritic antigen presenting cells in the lymph nodes draining the tumor, thereby promoting peripheral tolerance to tumor-associated antigens (TAAs). When hijacked by tumors in this manner, IDO may facilitate the survival, growth, invasion, and metastasis of malignant cells expressing TAAs that might otherwise be recognized and attacked by the immune system as foreign.

The ability to eliminate the tumor-protective IDO mechanism by administering IDO pathway inhibitor drugs, such as NLG8189, may provide a therapeutic window in which to break tolerance in tumors and reverse the inhibition of immune cells. “

• Potential to break immune tolerance. Immune tolerance to tumor cells is a key barrier to the treatment of cancer. To date, few available therapies have addressed the immune escape mechanisms of cancer. We believe inhibition of the IDO pathway has the potential to block this escape and significantly enhance patient outcomes.

·        We believe IDO pathway inhibitors could also have therapeutic synergy with targeted therapeutics, radiation and immunotherapy (Yervoy). 

Best Regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                                Participant

Erin,

You may have failed Yervoy (anti-CTLA-4 and Anti-PD-1), but there are other therapies that may Help. Tumors secrete suppresive cytokines,proteins and enzymes (IL-10, TGF-b, Gal-3, Gal,1 and IDO) to help them avoid detection from our immune system. Yervoy and Anti-PD-1 only block two pathways.  It seem you are missing the "Danger Signal" to get the immune response started.  Your Tumors may be producing IL-10 and IDO. IDO is an enzyme that breaks down trytophan, an essential amino acid. Without Trytophan, your body can't upregulate IL-6 expression. Without IL-6, and in the presence of TGF-b, T-cells differeniate into T regulatory cells (Tregs). If IL-6 was present, the T-cells would Differeniate into TH17 and involk the "Danger Signal".

“We believe that immune system failure is a fundamental reason for the inability of the human body to successfully fight cancer cells. Research indicates that tumors can induce the human immune system to tolerate the existence of the tumor. This immune tolerance and suppression is a major barrier to successful treatment of cancer and is a significant target for new therapeutics.

Indoleamine-(2,3)-dioxygenase (IDO) pathway inhibitors, including NLG8189 (d-1-methyltryptophan, or D-1MT), represent a potential breakthrough approach to cancer therapy using small‑molecule, anti-toleragenic product candidates intended to combat the mechanisms by which tumors evade immune-mediated destruction. IDO is an enzyme that regulates immune response by suppressing effector T-cell function through depletion of the essential amino acid tryptophan. Recent studies have demonstrated that IDO is overexpressed in many cancer types, both 1) within tumor cells,where it may act as a direct defense against T-cell attack, and 2) within dendritic antigen presenting cells in the lymph nodes draining the tumor, thereby promoting peripheral tolerance to tumor-associated antigens (TAAs). When hijacked by tumors in this manner, IDO may facilitate the survival, growth, invasion, and metastasis of malignant cells expressing TAAs that might otherwise be recognized and attacked by the immune system as foreign.

The ability to eliminate the tumor-protective IDO mechanism by administering IDO pathway inhibitor drugs, such as NLG8189, may provide a therapeutic window in which to break tolerance in tumors and reverse the inhibition of immune cells. “

• Potential to break immune tolerance. Immune tolerance to tumor cells is a key barrier to the treatment of cancer. To date, few available therapies have addressed the immune escape mechanisms of cancer. We believe inhibition of the IDO pathway has the potential to block this escape and significantly enhance patient outcomes.

·        We believe IDO pathway inhibitors could also have therapeutic synergy with targeted therapeutics, radiation and immunotherapy (Yervoy). 

Best Regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                                  Participant

Erin,

Best Regards,

Jimmy B

Erinlisay38
                                    Participant
                                      sjl
                                      Participant

Can you tell me more about Rose Bengal?  My husband has huge tumors under the skin on his neck, is BRAF neg, NRAS positive and ineligible for clinical trials because of a secondary lung cancer.  He did great on carbo/taxol for awhile, failed yervoy and was put back on carbo/taxol last week with the idea that they would do two or three rounds then do radiation.  His has declined rapidly over the past week and I would welcome any ideas from anyone.  I'm calling his oncologist this morning.

sjl
                                        Participant

Can you tell me more about Rose Bengal?  My husband has huge tumors under the skin on his neck, is BRAF neg, NRAS positive and ineligible for clinical trials because of a secondary lung cancer.  He did great on carbo/taxol for awhile, failed yervoy and was put back on carbo/taxol last week with the idea that they would do two or three rounds then do radiation.  His has declined rapidly over the past week and I would welcome any ideas from anyone.  I'm calling his oncologist this morning.

sjl
                                          Participant

jim Breitfeller
                                            Participant

Rose Bengal is injected into leasiona that are on the surface or close to the surface. I don't think it is FDA approved. You may want to try Imiquimod. It induces Inflamation at the site which may cause the immune system to react to the cancer.

It involks the "Danger Signal"

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo290/jimmy_b/Imiquimod-induced-inflamtion.jpg

jim Breitfeller
                                              Participant

Rose Bengal is injected into leasiona that are on the surface or close to the surface. I don't think it is FDA approved. You may want to try Imiquimod. It induces Inflamation at the site which may cause the immune system to react to the cancer.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo290/jimmy_b/Imiquimod-induced-inflamtion.jpg

jim Breitfeller
                                                Participant

Bubbles
                                                  Participant

kylez
                                                    Participant

Erin, you can click on most of the user names in green to see people's profiles, usually with treatment histories.

In my case I could hardly believe I was an IL-2 responder, for eight smaller mets (1cm or less) in my lungs. July would be 3 years since those were last detectable. Then the brain mets came and escalated (5 total over 9 months). Now I can hardly believe they've been stable or shrinking for 20 months now. June would be 2 years since last neurosurgery and radiosurgery, August would be 2 years since my 4th/last Yervoy cycle.

Since you've been through Yervoy, and are on anti-PD1, and your profile says you're in the greater Boston area, I'm assuming you're being seen by a melanoma specialist oncology practice (BIDMC, Dana Farber, Mass General, or UMASS/Worcester, etc.) 

That trial finder (run by a separate company, Emerging Med) was very impressive to me — an entire company devoted to matching patients with clinical trials. Some individual docs won't go much beyond the clinical trial offerings at their own facilities.

kylez
                                                      Participant

Erin, you can click on most of the user names in green to see people's profiles, usually with treatment histories.

In my case I could hardly believe I was an IL-2 responder, for eight smaller mets (1cm or less) in my lungs. July would be 3 years since those were last detectable. Then the brain mets came and escalated (5 total over 9 months). Now I can hardly believe they've been stable or shrinking for 20 months now. June would be 2 years since last neurosurgery and radiosurgery, August would be 2 years since my 4th/last Yervoy cycle.

Since you've been through Yervoy, and are on anti-PD1, and your profile says you're in the greater Boston area, I'm assuming you're being seen by a melanoma specialist oncology practice (BIDMC, Dana Farber, Mass General, or UMASS/Worcester, etc.) 

That trial finder (run by a separate company, Emerging Med) was very impressive to me — an entire company devoted to matching patients with clinical trials. Some individual docs won't go much beyond the clinical trial offerings at their own facilities.

kylez
                                                        Participant

kylez
                                                          Participant

kylez
                                                            Participant

kylez
                                                            Participant

Hi Erin,

Kyle

WendyPam
                                                              Participant

Hi Erin,

I read this post the other day by Catherine from the Melanoma International Board, MIF.

New Interesting Trial for BRAf neg/pos to check out

Postby Catherine Poole » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:34 pm

I am working with a patient who is finding this trial very promising. It is a targeted approach that is very interesting: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT0 … 26A&rank=1

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Wendy

WendyPam
                                                                Participant

Hi Erin,

I read this post the other day by Catherine from the Melanoma International Board, MIF.

I am working with a patient who is finding this trial very promising. It is a targeted approach that is very interesting: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT0 … 26A&rank=1

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Wendy

WendyPam
                                                                  Participant

Hi Erin,

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Wendy

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics