The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PD1 and work?

Forums General Melanoma Community PD1 and work?

Participant

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone been able to work full time while on PD1? I have had one infusion so far (two weeks ago).  I was up all night Monday with chills and Tuesday I felt like I was recovering from the flu (flu hangover).  Just curious if I will be able to work full time with more infusions coming (hopefully 11 more).

Thanks.  Good luck to youi.

Brendan

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Brendan
        Participant

I did not mean to post this topic anonymously.  Sorry.

Good luck to YOU.

Brendan

Brendan
          Participant

Good luck to YOU.

Brendan

benp
              Participant

Hi Brendan. I've been on PD1 for about 6 months, and have worked full time throughout. Occasionally get a little fatigued, but feel pretty "normal". I know everyone's different, but I have found it very empowering that the disease doesn't stop me from working.

Ben.

benp
                Participant

Hi Brendan. I've been on PD1 for about 6 months, and have worked full time throughout. Occasionally get a little fatigued, but feel pretty "normal". I know everyone's different, but I have found it very empowering that the disease doesn't stop me from working.

Ben.

benp
                  Participant

Ben.

Lisa – Aust
                    Participant

Hi Brendan,

My husband Craig has been able to work/complete uni work. But he did also have similiar symptoms to what you are describing early on. I guess being an immune based drug, its going to potentially give you those symptoms. They definitely settled, and now he might feel a little fluey/achey the night of infusion, and have some fatigue, but apart from that he feels ok. I do think its important for him to rest when he feels this way though.

Hopefully you feel a bit better soon, but I definitely dont think its unusual to have those symptoms 

Good luck!

Lisa

Lisa – Aust
                      Participant

Hi Brendan,

My husband Craig has been able to work/complete uni work. But he did also have similiar symptoms to what you are describing early on. I guess being an immune based drug, its going to potentially give you those symptoms. They definitely settled, and now he might feel a little fluey/achey the night of infusion, and have some fatigue, but apart from that he feels ok. I do think its important for him to rest when he feels this way though.

Hopefully you feel a bit better soon, but I definitely dont think its unusual to have those symptoms 

Good luck!

Lisa

Lisa – Aust
                        Participant

Hi Brendan,

Good luck!

Lisa

Bubbles
                          Participant

Hey Brendon,

I finished 2 1/2 years of anti-PD1 (Nivo) 6 months ago.  I work 12h shifts three days a week and missed only 3 days of work in that entire time.  I certainly had various side effects…fatigue, rashes, wheezing…most commonly….but they rarely stopped me from working or exercising.   Others in my study did have much greater problems with fatigue and some did have to stop working. I have to admit I have been feeling much better since not having to take it!!!  You may just be experiencing a winter bug at the moment and hopeful you will soon be feeling better.  I put a synopsis of side effects both from the literature and my own experience on my blog a bit ago it you are interested.  Hang in there!  Celeste

Bubbles
                            Participant

Hey Brendon,

I finished 2 1/2 years of anti-PD1 (Nivo) 6 months ago.  I work 12h shifts three days a week and missed only 3 days of work in that entire time.  I certainly had various side effects…fatigue, rashes, wheezing…most commonly….but they rarely stopped me from working or exercising.   Others in my study did have much greater problems with fatigue and some did have to stop working. I have to admit I have been feeling much better since not having to take it!!!  You may just be experiencing a winter bug at the moment and hopeful you will soon be feeling better.  I put a synopsis of side effects both from the literature and my own experience on my blog a bit ago it you are interested.  Hang in there!  Celeste

Jaryllane
                              Participant

I am curious about why Celeste no longer needs Nivo.  I have been on Lambrolizumab, a different anti PD-1 immunotherapy, for six months and from what I understand I will be on it indefinitely, or until the disease returns.  I haven't found any information about what happens when someone goes off these immunotherapies.  I would appreciate any info you have.

Jaryllane
                                Participant

I am curious about why Celeste no longer needs Nivo.  I have been on Lambrolizumab, a different anti PD-1 immunotherapy, for six months and from what I understand I will be on it indefinitely, or until the disease returns.  I haven't found any information about what happens when someone goes off these immunotherapies.  I would appreciate any info you have.

Jaryllane
                                  Participant

Bubbles
                                    Participant

Jaryllane,

You must be in a trial and most of those have an end point so you might want to check the papers you signed and/or talk with your trial physician or coordinator to see what they will be doing and when….but…all trials are different so….  Anyhow, I was in a Phase I trial for the BMS anti-PD1 product, now named Nivolumab, in Tampa at Moffitt.  It was clear what the trial was, how often I would get the med and for how long.  I was in the Stage IV, NED arm, in the first co-hort, given 1mg/kg every 2 weeks for 6 months, then every 3 months for 2 additional years.  Two other co-horts were given 3mg/kg and 10 mg/kg respectively with the same schedule.  The sister arm included Stage IV patients with evidence of disease and were placed in the same three groups.  SO….when we are done…we are done. (Moffitt has since add many additional arms, for patients who have had ipi, had a bad time on ipi…all sorts of things.)   Scans and MRI were required every three months and signs of progression meant the end of your time on the trial.  Many folks that were in the later cohorts are still in progress, but since I (and other peeps) were in the first co-hort…we have completed the medication portion and are being followed every 6 months now but with no meds.  Researchers are having a hard time finding an end point in these trials with immunotherapies, because disease progression and durability of remission and stability are hard to measure by conventional measures utilized in evaluating more conventional chemotherapy.  So….perhaps your situation is open-ended.  However, when my doc…Weber…looked at getting more med for those in my trial who wanted to continue it, instead of end as planned….BMS said "NO!!!"  I am not aware of any trials of the Merck product that are open-ended, but I am certainly not up on every trial they have ongoing.  Most of the ones I am aware of are dosing patients every 2 weeks for 2 years.  Anyhow, I remain NED thus far and the entire story of my trial, its ongoing results, and other melanoma info are on my blog, if you are interested.

Wishing you the best, Celeste

Bubbles
                                      Participant

Jaryllane,

You must be in a trial and most of those have an end point so you might want to check the papers you signed and/or talk with your trial physician or coordinator to see what they will be doing and when….but…all trials are different so….  Anyhow, I was in a Phase I trial for the BMS anti-PD1 product, now named Nivolumab, in Tampa at Moffitt.  It was clear what the trial was, how often I would get the med and for how long.  I was in the Stage IV, NED arm, in the first co-hort, given 1mg/kg every 2 weeks for 6 months, then every 3 months for 2 additional years.  Two other co-horts were given 3mg/kg and 10 mg/kg respectively with the same schedule.  The sister arm included Stage IV patients with evidence of disease and were placed in the same three groups.  SO….when we are done…we are done. (Moffitt has since add many additional arms, for patients who have had ipi, had a bad time on ipi…all sorts of things.)   Scans and MRI were required every three months and signs of progression meant the end of your time on the trial.  Many folks that were in the later cohorts are still in progress, but since I (and other peeps) were in the first co-hort…we have completed the medication portion and are being followed every 6 months now but with no meds.  Researchers are having a hard time finding an end point in these trials with immunotherapies, because disease progression and durability of remission and stability are hard to measure by conventional measures utilized in evaluating more conventional chemotherapy.  So….perhaps your situation is open-ended.  However, when my doc…Weber…looked at getting more med for those in my trial who wanted to continue it, instead of end as planned….BMS said "NO!!!"  I am not aware of any trials of the Merck product that are open-ended, but I am certainly not up on every trial they have ongoing.  Most of the ones I am aware of are dosing patients every 2 weeks for 2 years.  Anyhow, I remain NED thus far and the entire story of my trial, its ongoing results, and other melanoma info are on my blog, if you are interested.

Bubbles
                                        Participant

Jaryllane,

Bubbles
                                          Participant

Hey Brendon,

Brendan
                                          Participant

Good luck to YOU.

Brendan

Tina D
                                            Participant

Brendan,

I do not work outside of my home, but have been on PD1 since end of July. For the most part, the side effects have not been bad. There have definitely been days with fatigue, but rarely are they cause for me to take the "day off". My thyroid quit, and that caused more fatigue, which is starting to improve now that I am on synthroid.  I know wveryone is different, but for the most part, my Dr says this is pretty well tolerated.

Best to you!

Tina

Tina D
                                              Participant

Brendan,

I do not work outside of my home, but have been on PD1 since end of July. For the most part, the side effects have not been bad. There have definitely been days with fatigue, but rarely are they cause for me to take the "day off". My thyroid quit, and that caused more fatigue, which is starting to improve now that I am on synthroid.  I know wveryone is different, but for the most part, my Dr says this is pretty well tolerated.

Best to you!

Tina

Tina D
                                                Participant

Brendan,

Best to you!

Tina

Hstevens0072
                                                  Participant

I have been in this trial since mid2013 and have worked full time.  No issues at all.  Some fatigue but Netflix and Breaking Bad might be more to blame ๐Ÿ™‚

best of luck!

Hstevens0072
                                                    Participant

I have been in this trial since mid2013 and have worked full time.  No issues at all.  Some fatigue but Netflix and Breaking Bad might be more to blame ๐Ÿ™‚

best of luck!

Hstevens0072
                                                      Participant

best of luck!

Brendan
                                                        Participant

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the responses.  I missed two days this week with side effects and a third with the infusion.  I have to fly 1,000 miles for my infusion and then return home (the same day) to my two lovely, energetic daughters, so this is a rather tough week, but keep those infusions coming.  I will see how it plays out.

Good luck. 

Brendan

Brendan
                                                          Participant

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the responses.  I missed two days this week with side effects and a third with the infusion.  I have to fly 1,000 miles for my infusion and then return home (the same day) to my two lovely, energetic daughters, so this is a rather tough week, but keep those infusions coming.  I will see how it plays out.

Good luck. 

Brendan

Bubbles
                                                              Participant

I understand!!!  I live in Chattanooga, but would drive two hours to Atlanta, for a flight to Tampa/Moffit on Thursdays.  Then, it was bright and early on Friday at Moffitt for labs, check, and infusion then back on a plane to Atlanta, and the drive home!  Hang in there!  I know you got this!!!!!  C

Bubbles
                                                                Participant

I understand!!!  I live in Chattanooga, but would drive two hours to Atlanta, for a flight to Tampa/Moffit on Thursdays.  Then, it was bright and early on Friday at Moffitt for labs, check, and infusion then back on a plane to Atlanta, and the drive home!  Hang in there!  I know you got this!!!!!  C

Bubbles
                                                                  Participant

Brendan
                                                                  Participant

Hi Everyone,

Good luck. 

Brendan

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics