The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PD-1 trial questions.

Forums General Melanoma Community PD-1 trial questions.

Participant

Hello everyone.  I am trying to convince my brother to pursue the Anti PD-1 trials.  I feel like I am going into court and need all my evidence in order to present to the judge…him. LOL !!!  He thinks of trials as being in a " lab treated like a guinea pig". He is stage IV. as of 2/2012 He had yervoy 12/2011….did not help.  last 6 mths has had some response to chemo ( temodor, abraxane, carbo, nexavar)  over past few weeks doc.

Hello everyone.  I am trying to convince my brother to pursue the Anti PD-1 trials.  I feel like I am going into court and need all my evidence in order to present to the judge…him. LOL !!!  He thinks of trials as being in a " lab treated like a guinea pig". He is stage IV. as of 2/2012 He had yervoy 12/2011….did not help.  last 6 mths has had some response to chemo ( temodor, abraxane, carbo, nexavar)  over past few weeks doc. feels abdominal tumor now bigger.  I feel chemo is done…and not much left on the list to give.  I feel the PD1 trials are way to go.  If he is a candidate. He is braf neg. I am in process of filling in his profile, I know it helps everyone to give an opinion.  Some questions I have for now….will have more.  I appreciate everyone who is on the trial for some advice. 

1) If you failed Yervoy did you respond on the trial.

2) How many of you or know of patients that did well on this trial

3) Is there a placebo involved or does everyone get the drug.

Thanks for your time and help. 

Susan

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        FeistyD
        Participant

I am in a trial for Merck 3475 (anti-PD-1) for NSCLC; however, everyone else I have met at my clinic is there for the melanoma arm of the trial. They (and I) have had remarkable success (my tumours have shrunk by over 75% in just six months with no side effects). If it's a Phase I trial everyone gets the drug: I have heard the BMS  anti-PD-1 drug is about to go to Phase III trials, which means half get the drug. My doctor is giving a talk on his results with the Merck drug this Sunday at the Society for Melanoma Research International Congress- you may want to check it out online. Not everyone responds to anti-PD-1, but if they do, the response is amazing. There are some markers on one's tumor (PD-L1) which seem to determine one's chance of response; if your tumor doesn't express it, you won't respond. Yervoy is not the same drug, so I think you can fail yervoy and respond to anti-PD-1. The doctors really need to address that question, however. All I can say is anti-PD-1 is saving my life.

FeistyD
          Participant

I am in a trial for Merck 3475 (anti-PD-1) for NSCLC; however, everyone else I have met at my clinic is there for the melanoma arm of the trial. They (and I) have had remarkable success (my tumours have shrunk by over 75% in just six months with no side effects). If it's a Phase I trial everyone gets the drug: I have heard the BMS  anti-PD-1 drug is about to go to Phase III trials, which means half get the drug. My doctor is giving a talk on his results with the Merck drug this Sunday at the Society for Melanoma Research International Congress- you may want to check it out online. Not everyone responds to anti-PD-1, but if they do, the response is amazing. There are some markers on one's tumor (PD-L1) which seem to determine one's chance of response; if your tumor doesn't express it, you won't respond. Yervoy is not the same drug, so I think you can fail yervoy and respond to anti-PD-1. The doctors really need to address that question, however. All I can say is anti-PD-1 is saving my life.

killmel
              Participant

Hi Feisty,

I came across another post of yours that indicated that you were having side effects. Did those side effects go away???? Thank you for posting because many people benefit to knowing side effects to drugs. Thanks

Re: anti-PD1 side effects

Postby FeistyD » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:25 am

I have been on Merck 3475 (anti-PD-1) for lung cancer for 6 months now. It's been working very well, but I am starting to feel a few side effects. I get the itchy red spots as described above, mostly on my arms and legs, and the past few days some sharp muscle/joint pain, first in my upper back, now in my left wrist. I feel a little tired in the afternoons, and quite tired if I don't get a rest (I am still working as a college professor). But the drug is working so well! I can put up with the pains by using aspirin/Aleve, and the itchy spots with some strong hydrocortisone and lots of lotion.
                Good luck!
                StanR
                Participant

FiestyD,

Are you still out there?

I am trying to get onto this trial as a non Melanoma patient.

Can I get an update.

StanR
                  Participant

FiestyD,

Are you still out there?

Can I get an update.

StanR
                    Participant

FiestyD,

Are you still out there?

Can I get an update.

killmel
                      Participant

Hi Feisty,

I came across another post of yours that indicated that you were having side effects. Did those side effects go away???? Thank you for posting because many people benefit to knowing side effects to drugs. Thanks

I have been on Merck 3475 (anti-PD-1) for lung cancer for 6 months now. It's been working very well, but I am starting to feel a few side effects. I get the itchy red spots as described above, mostly on my arms and legs, and the past few days some sharp muscle/joint pain, first in my upper back, now in my left wrist. I feel a little tired in the afternoons, and quite tired if I don't get a rest (I am still working as a college professor). But the drug is working so well! I can put up with the pains by using aspirin/Aleve, and the itchy spots with some strong hydrocortisone and lots of lotion.
                        Good luck!
                        killmel
                        Participant

Hi Feisty,

Good luck!
                          susanr
                          Participant

Thank you !!!!!  Your post was very helpful.  I am very happy for you that your doing well on the trial. 

susanr
                            Participant

Thank you !!!!!  Your post was very helpful.  I am very happy for you that your doing well on the trial. 

susanr
                              Participant

FeistyD
                              Participant

Tim–MRF

Susan:

I am at the Society for Melanoma Research meeting and have heard a lot of conversation about PD-1.  The formal talks take place later this weekend, but the general feeling is that PD-1 is looking very positive.  Response rates are higher than Yervoy, at least so far, and side effects are fewer and more manageable.  

It is still early days for this drug, but most melanoma experts I know would absolutely go into a PD-1 trial rather than pursue more chemotherapy.

Tim–MRF

killmel
                                    Participant

Tim,

Thank you for posting & everyhting you do for us on this forum

After the meeting is over, would you please post more specific  information about PD1 that was reported at the meeting.

Have a nice weekend!

killmel
                                      Participant

Tim,

After the meeting is over, would you please post more specific  information about PD1 that was reported at the meeting.

Have a nice weekend!

killmel
                                        Participant

OOPs forgott his

More Specific information like: response rate, side effects, more arms in the merck trial, more pd1 trials coming, etc

killmel
                                          Participant

OOPs forgott his

More Specific information like: response rate, side effects, more arms in the merck trial, more pd1 trials coming, etc

killmel
                                            Participant

OOPs forgott his

killmel
                                              Participant

Tim,

Have a nice weekend!

susanr
                                                Participant

Thank you Tim…You are always so helpful to us.  I appreciate your post and all the info you provide us.!!!!

susanr
                                                  Participant

Thank you Tim…You are always so helpful to us.  I appreciate your post and all the info you provide us.!!!!

susanr
                                                    Participant

Tim–MRF

Susan:

I am at the Society for Melanoma Research meeting and have heard a lot of conversation about PD-1.  The formal talks take place later this weekend, but the general feeling is that PD-1 is looking very positive.  Response rates are higher than Yervoy, at least so far, and side effects are fewer and more manageable.  

It is still early days for this drug, but most melanoma experts I know would absolutely go into a PD-1 trial rather than pursue more chemotherapy.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Susan:

Tim–MRF

audgator
                                                        Participant

I am in the maintenace phase of an anti-PD1 trial.  Small mets showed up in my lungs & liver about 6 months or so after completeing interferon. They grew a bit while on Yervoy. I then went right into the trial & have had about 70%+ shrinkage. I have scans next month and am hoping for NED but will be happy with continued improvement. I've had some itchy areas on top of my feet and on my calves but not as bad as I had on Yervoy. Interesting that the previous poster mentioned back pain as I get that between my shoulder blades when standing for long periods or after carrying my golf bag for 14 or 15 holes. I do manage to finish the 18. My onc doesn't think the back pain is related to the drug. The hardest part of the trial is running the maze and pushing the button to get the food pellet. Just kidding. Tell your brother to go for it.    Dan

killmel
                                                            Participant

I am on the PD1 trial..now NED.

I also get back pain in my upper back. I too have the pain between my shoulder blades when standing for long periods. I never reported it to the study nurse but I think I will now. It is too coincidental.

I find that interesting that so many people are now reporting back pain. I also get joint & muscle pain plus a rash.

killmel
                                                              Participant

I also get back pain in my upper back. I too have the pain between my shoulder blades when standing for long periods. I never reported it to the study nurse but I think I will now. It is too coincidental.

I find that interesting that so many people are now reporting back pain. I also get joint & muscle pain plus a rash.

killmel
                                                                Participant

palmspringswalt
                                                                  Participant

I've been on the Merck PD1 trail for 8 months and have had a tumer load reduction of something like 90%.  The only real side effect I've had is fatigue on some days but this is probably at a much lower level than many treatments since it really doesn't stop me from doing much.  My doctor says all his patients are doing well with very little side effects.  Obviously you need to work with a qualified oncologist who specializes in melanoma but if you can get him in a PD1 trial it would seem to be the way to go.  It's most like that any side effects will be minimal to those that he probably experience in his previous treatments.  Good Luck moving forward!!

palmspringswalt
                                                                    Participant

I've been on the Merck PD1 trail for 8 months and have had a tumer load reduction of something like 90%.  The only real side effect I've had is fatigue on some days but this is probably at a much lower level than many treatments since it really doesn't stop me from doing much.  My doctor says all his patients are doing well with very little side effects.  Obviously you need to work with a qualified oncologist who specializes in melanoma but if you can get him in a PD1 trial it would seem to be the way to go.  It's most like that any side effects will be minimal to those that he probably experience in his previous treatments.  Good Luck moving forward!!

susanr
                                                                      Participant

Thank you for the post.  He does see a melanoma specialist.  The doctor has not once recommended this trial or any other.  This has been all my doing.  I have learned on this website from all you fine people.  I am happy for you too !!!

If you had 90% reduction…..I don't think he would mind fatigue for the rest of his life.

Thank you again, you were very helpful.

susanr
                                                                        Participant

Thank you for the post.  He does see a melanoma specialist.  The doctor has not once recommended this trial or any other.  This has been all my doing.  I have learned on this website from all you fine people.  I am happy for you too !!!

If you had 90% reduction…..I don't think he would mind fatigue for the rest of his life.

susanr
                                                                          Participant

susanr
                                                                            Participant

susanr
                                                                              Participant

susanr
                                                                                Participant

palmspringswalt
                                                                                  Participant

audgator
                                                                                    Participant

ps: everybody gets the drug…no placebos     Dan

audgator
                                                                                      Participant

audgator
                                                                                        Participant

susanr
                                                                                          Participant

Thank you Dan for your post and the laugh re: running the maze for food.!!  LOL.  I have read many of your posts and appreciate your comments to all.  I am very happy for you…70% is amazing.  I have done some research and "WOW", this trial stuff is confusing.  I see one trial at moffett does not allow disease on radiograph..needs to have been resected.  then I see another that its allowed ????!!!??? confused.  My brother has disease on radiograph/pet/ct. scan.  his mets are lung and a huge mass in his abdomen.  Brain, liver clear…as we know from last PET few months ago.

I wish they had a book on thios trial like they have the "dummy series books"…like research fopr dummies 101.

I will have more questions and hope you can respond to them.  The HLA testing is what has me worried that he won't be compatible….and he is weak from the wt. loss

Thank you so much Dan…..

susanr
                                                                                            Participant

Thank you Dan for your post and the laugh re: running the maze for food.!!  LOL.  I have read many of your posts and appreciate your comments to all.  I am very happy for you…70% is amazing.  I have done some research and "WOW", this trial stuff is confusing.  I see one trial at moffett does not allow disease on radiograph..needs to have been resected.  then I see another that its allowed ????!!!??? confused.  My brother has disease on radiograph/pet/ct. scan.  his mets are lung and a huge mass in his abdomen.  Brain, liver clear…as we know from last PET few months ago.

I wish they had a book on thios trial like they have the "dummy series books"…like research fopr dummies 101.

I will have more questions and hope you can respond to them.  The HLA testing is what has me worried that he won't be compatible….and he is weak from the wt. loss

Thank you so much Dan…..

susanr
                                                                                              Participant

Thank you so much Dan…..

audgator
                                                                                              Participant

I am in the maintenace phase of an anti-PD1 trial.  Small mets showed up in my lungs & liver about 6 months or so after completeing interferon. They grew a bit while on Yervoy. I then went right into the trial & have had about 70%+ shrinkage. I have scans next month and am hoping for NED but will be happy with continued improvement. I've had some itchy areas on top of my feet and on my calves but not as bad as I had on Yervoy. Interesting that the previous poster mentioned back pain as I get that between my shoulder blades when standing for long periods or after carrying my golf bag for 14 or 15 holes. I do manage to finish the 18. My onc doesn't think the back pain is related to the drug. The hardest part of the trial is running the maze and pushing the button to get the food pellet. Just kidding. Tell your brother to go for it.    Dan

audgator
                                                                                                Participant

alankravitz
                                                                                                  Participant

I was a participant in the IB trial of MDX-1106/BMS-956886. I went in Stage IV, and have been NED by PET Scan for over 3 years including the 2+ tears since the end of my participation. The side effects were mostly fatigue in my case, and although there were some critical adverse reactions, a great deal has been learned about how to avoid them. The good news is that BMS has just alisted a new trial for patiets who did not respond to Yervoy (NCT01721746). The bad news is that the study does involve randomized allocation to two comparator therapies. I would definatelly pursue access to some form of anti-PD-1.

alankravitz
                                                                                                    Participant

I was a participant in the IB trial of MDX-1106/BMS-956886. I went in Stage IV, and have been NED by PET Scan for over 3 years including the 2+ tears since the end of my participation. The side effects were mostly fatigue in my case, and although there were some critical adverse reactions, a great deal has been learned about how to avoid them. The good news is that BMS has just alisted a new trial for patiets who did not respond to Yervoy (NCT01721746). The bad news is that the study does involve randomized allocation to two comparator therapies. I would definatelly pursue access to some form of anti-PD-1.

alankravitz
                                                                                                      Participant

laurielala
                                                                                                        Participant

My husband is  Stage IV with mets in his spleen, vertabrae and after Yervoy a couple of spots on his liver.  The Yervoy did not do anything to stop the progression of the disease. I was told the spots on his liver may or may not really be there as Yervoy may have found "activity" and therefore something showed on the PET he had after treatment. He is now in the Merk trial for PD-1. His first infusion was a week ago Thursday.  He has  been experiencing fevers and night sweats.  I called the doctor on call the other night and he suggested a trip to the local ER as we are 90 miles away from the center where he is receiving the drug.  Nothing remarkable came out of the work up at the ER and the on call doctor suggested it was a reaction to the drug and sent him home.  I called the cancer center the next morning to follow up and spoke to the clinical nurse who asked me how he was doing.  At that time he was fever free.  Again last night he had a fever along with night sweats and I gave him a fever reducer and checked him at intervals to make sure the temp didn't go higher.  Fever is one of the side effects of the drug and I didn't get too much information from the nurse as she wasn't the "regular" clinical nurse for that particular trial.   My question is whether the fever is his immune system actually "fired up", so to speak, or is this a reaction that is potentially a problem.  I did not get the impression from the nurse that they were too concerned. It is so difficult to be far enough away from the centers urgent care facility that it is virtually impossible to do anything but use the local ER with doctors who are not at all familiar with the mechanism of these particular drugs.  Has anyone experienced the fevers and night sweats while on the drug?  Just feel like there are too many unknowns!!

Thanks smiley

laurielala
                                                                                                          Participant

My husband is  Stage IV with mets in his spleen, vertabrae and after Yervoy a couple of spots on his liver.  The Yervoy did not do anything to stop the progression of the disease. I was told the spots on his liver may or may not really be there as Yervoy may have found "activity" and therefore something showed on the PET he had after treatment. He is now in the Merk trial for PD-1. His first infusion was a week ago Thursday.  He has  been experiencing fevers and night sweats.  I called the doctor on call the other night and he suggested a trip to the local ER as we are 90 miles away from the center where he is receiving the drug.  Nothing remarkable came out of the work up at the ER and the on call doctor suggested it was a reaction to the drug and sent him home.  I called the cancer center the next morning to follow up and spoke to the clinical nurse who asked me how he was doing.  At that time he was fever free.  Again last night he had a fever along with night sweats and I gave him a fever reducer and checked him at intervals to make sure the temp didn't go higher.  Fever is one of the side effects of the drug and I didn't get too much information from the nurse as she wasn't the "regular" clinical nurse for that particular trial.   My question is whether the fever is his immune system actually "fired up", so to speak, or is this a reaction that is potentially a problem.  I did not get the impression from the nurse that they were too concerned. It is so difficult to be far enough away from the centers urgent care facility that it is virtually impossible to do anything but use the local ER with doctors who are not at all familiar with the mechanism of these particular drugs.  Has anyone experienced the fevers and night sweats while on the drug?  Just feel like there are too many unknowns!!

Thanks smiley

laurielala
                                                                                                            Participant

Thanks smiley

Cooper
                                                                                                              Participant

The information at the Congress isn't any newer than the ASCO reports on PD1.  It is about 30% response rate vs. 15% for IPI.  supposed to have less side effects.  Merck and BMS seem to have the best ones so far, others are newer.

Cooper
                                                                                                                Participant

The information at the Congress isn't any newer than the ASCO reports on PD1.  It is about 30% response rate vs. 15% for IPI.  supposed to have less side effects.  Merck and BMS seem to have the best ones so far, others are newer.

Cooper
                                                                                                                    Participant

There's a free webinar on PD1 by Dr. Snzol at Yale:  http://www.safefromthesun.org/news/Webinarx_Anti-pd1.html 

Cooper
                                                                                                                      Participant

There's a free webinar on PD1 by Dr. Snzol at Yale:  http://www.safefromthesun.org/news/Webinarx_Anti-pd1.html 

Cooper
                                                                                                                        Participant

susanr
                                                                                                                          Participant

Thank you for the post !!!

susanr
                                                                                                                            Participant

susanr
                                                                                                                              Participant

killmel
                                                                                                                                Participant

Tim,

It is my understanding that there are speakers at the Melanoma Congress that will be updating the response rate & side effects of Merck PD1 trial presently going on today. The ASCO reports on Pd1 were about BMS PD1 trials that were completed.

Tim, please give us any  updated information on Merck PD1 trial.

Thanks

James

killmel
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Tim,

It is my understanding that there are speakers at the Melanoma Congress that will be updating the response rate & side effects of Merck PD1 trial presently going on today. The ASCO reports on Pd1 were about BMS PD1 trials that were completed.

Thanks

James

killmel
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Tim,

Thanks

James

Cooper
                                                                                                                                      Participant

That Merck data info was on http://www.melanomaforum.org tonight.

susanr
                                                                                                                                        Participant

thank you !!!

susanr
                                                                                                                                          Participant

thank you !!!

susanr
                                                                                                                                            Participant

thank you !!!

Cooper
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Cooper
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Cooper
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics